BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

Shift Lever Bearing Replacement

2K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Meese 
#1 ·
Yesterday in a thread about k12gt clutch chatter or judder or what ever you term it, there was a post regarding changing out the steel sleeve and plastic bushings on the shift lever in favor of four small roller bearings. There seems to be agreement that this is a substantial improvement in shift quality.

My question is this. I have less than 4k miles on my 07 gt and shifting seems smooth (aside from my trying to find the sweet spot for shifts -- my bad technique). When the bike is at rest in the garage on its center stand and I move the shift lever up and down by hand (without engaging a gear) it also seems very smooth. There is also very little side to side play in the plastic bushings. So, at this point, would it make sense to let sleeping dogs lie, or would I benefit from this change out? If so, are there any spare bearings rolling around?

I am happy to report that I do not have any clutch chatter/judder at this point in my 07. The 2009 k1300gt I test drove before buying the used 07 had plenty. My last oil change was about 1000 miles (and 2 years ago!) and the dealer record that I have said they used 20w-50 weight oil. Kind of strange considering the standard then was 10w-40.

Thanks

See less See more
#2 ·
Maybe it's just me :D but I did the bearing swap and have had the pivot bolt break off twice, both at very inopportune times.

If your shifter is smooth and working well I wouldn't mess with it. The plastic bushings can wear over time, allowing noticeable slop in the shifter. When that happens, then you can look into replacing things.

#3 · (Edited)
Meese said:
Maybe it's just me :D but I did the bearing swap and have had the pivot bolt break off twice, both at very inopportune times.
:yeow:

Meese said:
If your shifter is smooth and working well I wouldn't mess with it. The plastic bushings can wear over time, allowing noticeable slop in the shifter. When that happens, then you can look into replacing things.
Agreed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.