ARRRGG - In Need of Public Humiliation - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old Mar 10th, 2010, 8:23 pm Thread Starter
Rookie

ARRRGG - In Need of Public Humiliation

I just can't believe what I did to my right pannier cover....I think I forgot to 1) close the box when I left work, or 2) forgot to latch it. The first right turn I took I heard the sound....I have just about run out of self-flogging and could really use a good dose of public humiliation on the boards....geez. I really hate it when stuff like this happens.

Anyone do pannier restorations?

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010134.JPG
Views:	184
Size:	676.6 KB
ID:	11751  

Mark

07 K1200GT Blue
82 Honda CB 900F SuperSport Silver
65 Corvette Roadster Fuel Injection Silver
65 Corvette Roadster Loaded Red
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old Mar 10th, 2010, 8:50 pm
Enthusiast

You dummy. Just kidding. We all make stupid mistakes. Sorry to see you did.

Wayne

http://fergie.smugmug.com/

2006 K1200GT Blue
2008 F800ST Blue (Wifes)
2006 R1200RT (Traded)
2006 Kawasaki Ninja 500R (Traded)
1999 K1200LT (Sold)
1985 K100RT (Sold)
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old Mar 10th, 2010, 9:16 pm
IBR# 366

Any good paint & body shop can sand and respray that. Although it's gonna have a bit of a flat spot still, unless they fill it in and shape it which might flex and crack later.

And I hate to break this to you, but someone scrawled graffiti on your frame when you weren't looking . . .

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 60K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#145, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...

Last edited by Meese; Mar 11th, 2010 at 1:03 am.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old Mar 10th, 2010, 9:19 pm
Veteran

Well, since you asked, "Nice job dumbass!"

Now go do the same handiwork to the left side...and then try and impress some squid with your spectacular amount of lean-over racing skills.

Time to learn some basic body work and buy a nice touch-up paint gun. Maybe order a new bag cover online ($482.95 now at MaxBMW, ouch! Glad I kept my damaged ones as they appear worth the weight of gold now.). Or just suck it up and go to a body shop with $200 and some beer.

Mack (who's also been there a few times too and colored the air a shade of purple too. Least my Mexican neighbors don't understand English well and I can get pretty colorful and loud at times. )
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old Mar 10th, 2010, 11:01 pm
Veteran

Nah....we all do stupid stuff.

I won't even tell you about not renewing my license in time. Or the 4 months I just spent putting on roughly 15k driving around the west not knowing. I mean who the hell ever looks at their license? Not me! And then having to spend days at the DMV while I re took both written and driving tests for both car and bike. In MT when your license expires for more than 3 months you have to start from scratch. (I could have renewed it any time in a 9 month period.) Man did I feel like a dumb shit! There was even a few hour period where all I had was a learners permit!

At least I never got pulled over....I even got on a plane....twice....using an expired license. Go figure.

'07 GT Sold- 2012 GSA Triple Black - Farkles O'Plenty!

I think I'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe....but I am NOT a Dental Floss Tycoon!
What's with this STUPID Cosmic Door?! ....Going Somewhere?!....Going Somewhere?!

post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old Mar 11th, 2010, 12:11 am
Veteran

Mark - Sorry to hear about your scrape. We have all been there in one way or another, and share your pain.

To everyone else - Another way to scratch your GT side case lid is if the strap comes undone and the lid opens wide and touches the ground. Here is a hint to ensure that it doesn't happen to you.

http://www.k-bikes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16610
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old Mar 11th, 2010, 1:00 am

Looks like an easy fix I wouldn't sweat it too much .

I have one for you , when I picked up m new KS I had my lawyer take me out to dinner for my birthday . I told my son who was in my shop to stay away from my new motorcycle . You know what happened next , he dropped in on himself and did not tell me. I was wiping it off and saw the side fairing had some nice gouges in it . I thought it was done by the dealership till I found greasy dirt from my shop floor on the final drive . I knew then he dropped it . He denied it for about a half hour . I told him he was buying me a new side fairing. I think it listed at the time for $730. Man I was MAD. I bought him on the same day I pick up my bike a crf230 honda as a suprise and of course he had to drop my bike
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old Mar 11th, 2010, 2:40 pm
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkFR
I just can't believe what I did to my right pannier cover....I think I forgot to 1) close the box when I left work, or 2) forgot to latch it. The first right turn I took I heard the sound....I have just about run out of self-flogging and could really use a good dose of public humiliation on the boards....geez. I really hate it when stuff like this happens.

Anyone do pannier restorations?

Thanks
There's a $5 membership charge for joining my club - I did the left side. Also, I have said more than once that I did it when I dragged the lid in a turn. Only got challenged once on that claim - but not right away.

2009 K13S
2000 YZF R1 track bike

Life is all about attitude!
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old Mar 11th, 2010, 2:59 pm
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by XMagnaRider
Mark - Sorry to hear about your scrape. We have all been there in one way or another, and share your pain.

To everyone else - Another way to scratch your GT side case lid is if the strap comes undone and the lid opens wide and touches the ground. Here is a hint to ensure that it doesn't happen to you.

http://www.k-bikes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16610
That's exactly what happened to me the day I took the test ride on the soon to be mine K1300GT. 'Hey look at the big new panniers.... How do they open.... Oh shit!'

.....Mike
'10 K1300GT
Royal Blue Metallic
Garmin Zumo 660
Nolan N-103 w/ BT Kit
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old Mar 11th, 2010, 3:46 pm

Get it fixed immediately and let the healing begin.

When mine had 1600 miles on it Iwas on vacation out in Wyoming. During the second night there there was a wicked downpour that washed the ground out from under one side of the center stand. By the time I got it up off the ground that simple tip over in gravel cost over $2800 to repair. I feel better now that it's fixed.

2009 K1300GT
My Photo Site

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode