Hope for humans - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 12th, 2010, 5:42 pm Thread Starter
Rookie

Hope for humans

On Saturday I was going north on I-95, the right two lanes were going very slow even stopped at times. I was in the right lane yo-yoing when suddenly a black Explorer whipped into my lane. I was so close I could see the whiskers on his face. I made a hard swerve to the left but he still hit my right bag pushing me sideways before the bag got ejected. I maintained control and pulled over, add in some four letters words here. He pulled over and was getting the bag and apologizing and said if he had the money in his pocket he'd give it to me. He was shaken up saying "You'd like to kick my ass and I don't blame you", my reply was "Buddy I'm not hurt, you're not hurt, it's paint and plastic it can be fixed."
Now, being a Hillbilly, if I do something wrong I own up to it, and I think everybody else would too. I thought about calling the police but his guy said he'd get it fixed and I'm thinking his day has been bad enough without a ticket to boot. We exchange info, the bag goes back on but loosely and I go on. Both insurance companies ask for a police report and said people change their story. Well, as it turns out he DID NOT change his story and his insurance company is replacing a few thousand dollars worth of parts.

Next time though I'm calling the Police.

Mike
MSF Instructor
MOA #145649
2009 K1200LT
2007 K1200GT Traded
2005 Ultra 80,000+ miles
2004 URAL *SOLD*
1996 K1100RS *SOLD*
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 12th, 2010, 6:14 pm
Enthusiast

It sounds like you were very lucky on both counts, first that you were not hurt and secondly that the guy followed through and took responsibility for his actions. That alone is cause to celebrate! Integrity today is a hard thing to find in most people today. I'm glad everything worked out well for you!

Initial Success, or Total Failure.
'08 K1200GT (Adventurin Silver)
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 12th, 2010, 8:16 pm
Rookie

Glad your uninjured and all worked out alright..

09 K1300GT
06 K1200R (sold)
05 R1200GS (sold)
99 K1200LT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 12th, 2010, 8:42 pm
Addict

Mike,

You are unbelieveably lucky and blessed on so many levels to come out of a situation like this physically unscathed and financally whole. Thanks for sharing and being able to share.

John
06 KGT
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 12th, 2010, 9:48 pm
Veteran

Yeah man, glad it worked out OK. I'm not sure I would have remained so calm. Might have needed the police any way.

'07 GT Sold- 2012 GSA Triple Black - Farkles O'Plenty!

I think I'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe....but I am NOT a Dental Floss Tycoon!
What's with this STUPID Cosmic Door?! ....Going Somewhere?!....Going Somewhere?!

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 12th, 2010, 10:53 pm
Addict

yes you were lucky 2 times. yes there is still hope. when it comes to money everything else becomes scarce these days.

2010 R1200RT
2009 X6
2010 X1
former and future k owner
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 13th, 2010, 7:26 am

Yup, had that happen way back, I let the girl go with the agreement she would pay up. Once she got home and her dad found out we didn't call the cops he got on the phone and simply said "what accident?"

Never again will I be so trusting.

2009 K1300GT
My Photo Site
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 14th, 2010, 9:23 pm

Yep, I'm with you. I called the police which helped because the insurance card he gave me was no good.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 15th, 2010, 4:57 am

Wow, Mike! Good for you! I'm glad everything is working out for you.

I can't believe someone said "what accident" or gave a false insurance card! OMG I never thought of things like that! That's horrible.

2010 K1300GT My beloved ROCKET!!
IBA #37898
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 15th, 2010, 11:30 am
Noob

WOW that's Incredible Mike. As the man said you are blessed on several levels, but I am most impressed with the attitude. If more stories like this get out people will realize US "Appalachian Americans" are really pretty decent, normal folk.
C U on the road someday, good riding!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode