Bad Handling Motorcycle (LONG) - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old Aug 18th, 2010, 4:10 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Bad Handling Motorcycle (LONG)

Hello everyone,
I thought I would make my 3rd post in nearly 3 years a worthy and hopefully informative one, albeit a bit long just to be thorough.

The machine is an ’08 1200GT with 28K miles, PR2 tires (my 2nd set of these but it is now wearing BT023’s) and I primarily use the bike for commuting year round from my house in Tacoma to Seattle, about 48 miles round trip in pretty heavy traffic. My dealer is South Sound Motorcycles and I believe them to be a good and trusted dealership. I have bought 7 bikes from their family of 2 stores in the past 10 years and the GT was to be my last for a long time.

I began having some handling issues back at the middle of June. This motorcycle has been absolutely the most stable of all street bikes I have ever ridden and it seemed that suddenly it was not. My first experiencing was on my way to work one morning when an unstable “wobble” started just when slowing down to exit the freeway behind a semi pulling a double trailer. The bike would just dance around side to side in a 10” line instead of the normal 2”. After rolling into work I checked all I knew to see what would have caused it and could find nothing. The same day I noticed the back end felt mushy in a corner on the exit off of I-5 on my way home, it felt as if the back tire was nearly flat. When I got home and re-checked the air pressure it was 1-1/2 pounds low in the rear and perfect in the front.
I called my dealer (South Sound BMW) and talked to the service manager and he wanted me to bring the bike in for a test ride which resulted in a diagnosis of failed final drive bearings. Wonderful, at least the problem was solved…wrong! The bike definitely felt better in a corner but was still “dancing” behind trucks.
I did a little research here on the site and could find nothing other than a post about a “weave” concerning high mileage PR2 tires. I had 12K on my first set of PR2’s and never noticed a handling issue at all. This set had 11K on them and I swear I could get another 2,000 miles on them as the tread looked great, but I figured it just had to be the tires that were causing this “weave”. I decided to try a set of the new BT 023’s on the bike and ordered a set from Two Brothers and had them put on at my dealer. There was no change in the bad manners the bike was exhibiting. Crap!
I rode the motorcycle for another week trying to figure out something to tell the dealer to look for and by now the motorcycle was getting to be a handful at speeds below 50 MPH with the worst speed being around 35 MPH. It was almost like the motorcycle had really tight steering head bearings. Going home in heavy traffic for 2 days in a row, my shoulders were worn out when I got home from trying to keep the machine on a line of some sorts. It really was hell on wheels!
All of the above was happening in about 4 week’s time because of a couple of vacations I took and was not riding the motorcycle while on vacation. It was now nearing the end of July and I was heading off to the Rally In The Gorge in Stevenson WA with my KTM. I asked the service manager Alex if he would keep the GT while I was gone and ride it in his commute so he may experience what I was going through and he agreed.
The first night he rode it home he called me on my cell (I am quoting here, imagine this in his German accent) “Scott, you’re bike rides like crap!” Finally someone else sees what I have been going through!

Alex was not really sure if the trouble was coming from the front end or the swing arm pivot area but he would find out for sure in the next few days. He recalled one motorcycle with a similar problem that was caused my a nasty collision with a curb and after replacing the wheel and some other parts it exhibited the same “weave” as mine and they traced it to the ball joints in the front end. I assured him my bike has never been dropped or run into anything and never been in a collision of any kind.

So, while I was up in the woods riding dirt bikes last week they the replaced both of the ball joints in the front suspension and the steering damper. I heard “notched ball joints” mentioned at one time during the diagnosis but do not know why the steering damper was replaced. I will try to find out more when I am back in their shop next Saturday.

The ball joints are a sealed unit that is pressed together permanently so all I can assume is there was some sort of defect that finally decided to fail. Perhaps the lubrication was too thin or maybe one of the two surfaces inside the joint was scratched in the pressing together part of the assembly. Who knows for sure?
I did ride the bike today for the first time in two weeks and everything appears to be rock steady and stable once more. A few more days of commuting and I am sure I will have totally forgotten how it felt for the motorcycle to handle the way it did.

Anyway, chalk this one up to experience and hopefully the rest of us can remember what the ball joints CAN do to the handling of this motorcycle!

Scott
PS...A big two thumbs up to SSBMW for excellent service!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old Aug 19th, 2010, 12:45 am
Addict

thanks for a very informative report.

2008 K1200GT, Custom Paint, Vivid Black, Aeroflow WS & Aeroguards, Givi E52 Maxia Topcase w/AdMore Lighting, Zumo 660, Suburban Footpeg Lowering, Sargent Seat

2009 R1200GS Adventure, Magnesium Grey/Black, Adventure Cases, Zumo 660, Touratech Unobtanium Accessories

1974 Norton Commando 850 Soon to be a restoration project
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old Aug 19th, 2010, 7:16 am

Scotty Gets His Bike Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottsGT
Hello everyone,
I thought I would make my 3rd post in nearly 3 years a worthy and hopefully informative one, albeit a bit long just to be thorough.

The machine is an ’08 1200GT with 28K miles, PR2 tires (my 2nd set of these but it is now wearing BT023’s) and I primarily use the bike for commuting year round from my house in Tacoma to Seattle, about 48 miles round trip in pretty heavy traffic. My dealer is South Sound Motorcycles and I believe them to be a good and trusted dealership. I have bought 7 bikes from their family of 2 stores in the past 10 years and the GT was to be my last for a long time.

I began having some handling issues back at the middle of June. This motorcycle has been absolutely the most stable of all street bikes I have ever ridden and it seemed that suddenly it was not. My first experiencing was on my way to work one morning when an unstable “wobble” started just when slowing down to exit the freeway behind a semi pulling a double trailer. The bike would just dance around side to side in a 10” line instead of the normal 2”. After rolling into work I checked all I knew to see what would have caused it and could find nothing. The same day I noticed the back end felt mushy in a corner on the exit off of I-5 on my way home, it felt as if the back tire was nearly flat. When I got home and re-checked the air pressure it was 1-1/2 pounds low in the rear and perfect in the front.
I called my dealer (South Sound BMW) and talked to the service manager and he wanted me to bring the bike in for a test ride which resulted in a diagnosis of failed final drive bearings. Wonderful, at least the problem was solved…wrong! The bike definitely felt better in a corner but was still “dancing” behind trucks.
I did a little research here on the site and could find nothing other than a post about a “weave” concerning high mileage PR2 tires. I had 12K on my first set of PR2’s and never noticed a handling issue at all. This set had 11K on them and I swear I could get another 2,000 miles on them as the tread looked great, but I figured it just had to be the tires that were causing this “weave”. I decided to try a set of the new BT 023’s on the bike and ordered a set from Two Brothers and had them put on at my dealer. There was no change in the bad manners the bike was exhibiting. Crap!
I rode the motorcycle for another week trying to figure out something to tell the dealer to look for and by now the motorcycle was getting to be a handful at speeds below 50 MPH with the worst speed being around 35 MPH. It was almost like the motorcycle had really tight steering head bearings. Going home in heavy traffic for 2 days in a row, my shoulders were worn out when I got home from trying to keep the machine on a line of some sorts. It really was hell on wheels!
All of the above was happening in about 4 week’s time because of a couple of vacations I took and was not riding the motorcycle while on vacation. It was now nearing the end of July and I was heading off to the Rally In The Gorge in Stevenson WA with my KTM. I asked the service manager Alex if he would keep the GT while I was gone and ride it in his commute so he may experience what I was going through and he agreed.
The first night he rode it home he called me on my cell (I am quoting here, imagine this in his German accent) “Scott, you’re bike rides like crap!” Finally someone else sees what I have been going through!

Alex was not really sure if the trouble was coming from the front end or the swing arm pivot area but he would find out for sure in the next few days. He recalled one motorcycle with a similar problem that was caused my a nasty collision with a curb and after replacing the wheel and some other parts it exhibited the same “weave” as mine and they traced it to the ball joints in the front end. I assured him my bike has never been dropped or run into anything and never been in a collision of any kind.

So, while I was up in the woods riding dirt bikes last week they the replaced both of the ball joints in the front suspension and the steering damper. I heard “notched ball joints” mentioned at one time during the diagnosis but do not know why the steering damper was replaced. I will try to find out more when I am back in their shop next Saturday.

The ball joints are a sealed unit that is pressed together permanently so all I can assume is there was some sort of defect that finally decided to fail. Perhaps the lubrication was too thin or maybe one of the two surfaces inside the joint was scratched in the pressing together part of the assembly. Who knows for sure?
I did ride the bike today for the first time in two weeks and everything appears to be rock steady and stable once more. A few more days of commuting and I am sure I will have totally forgotten how it felt for the motorcycle to handle the way it did.

Anyway, chalk this one up to experience and hopefully the rest of us can remember what the ball joints CAN do to the handling of this motorcycle!

Scott
PS...A big two thumbs up to SSBMW for excellent service!

Very cool Scott, thanks for sharing! Also, I agree w/you...You've got one of the better Service Managers/Dealers and BMWNA should be grateful for such outstanding examples of INTEGRITY!! -Dr Ron

2009 KGT makes me SMILE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old Aug 19th, 2010, 6:13 pm
Noob

I recently had the same problem with my '07 GT (with 23,000 miles on it). As I fumbled with words, trying to describe the problem to the service tech at Touring Sport BMW in Greenville, SC, he interrupted me and said, "You can't ride it in a straight line". YES! He then told me he didn't even have to test-ride it - he knew the problem was with the two ball joints in the front suspension. Both ball joints were replaced, and my GT now handles beautifully.

The speculation was that the problem was one of improper assembly, where the ball joints were not properly torqued when new. But why did it take 23,000 miles for the poor handling to appear? At any rate, as I was off warranty, I asked for some consideration from BMW. They kicked in 1/2 of the labor costs.

- Bob

Bob Menton
[email protected]
Greenville SC USA
'07 K1200GT, '69 R60US (mint!)
'83 R80S
"You can never escape the FOG (Fast Old Guys)"
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old Aug 20th, 2010, 12:25 am
Addict

Great write up, thanks.
Something else to look forward to

Black stuff down, Shiny side up!______________________________
10 R1200RTSE
02 R1100S
07 K1200GT R.I.P.
86 K100RS Sold
07 R1200GSA Sold
07 Softail Heritage Sold
86 K100RS Sold
82 R100RS Sold
82 Suzi GSX1100 Sold
75 Honda 750/4 Sold
74 Yamaha XS650 Sold
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old Aug 20th, 2010, 9:29 am
Veteran

Scott,

Thanks for sharing. Your detailed description will help others, I'm sure.

Yours is not the first time I have read about handling problems that were traced to the ball joint. If you search the forums for "ball joint", you can find similar experiences.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old Aug 20th, 2010, 10:42 am
IBR# 366

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadicool59
Great write up, thanks.
Something else to look forward to
I don't think it's a wear item or age related thing. The few I've heard of have happened at relatively low miles. The GT's I know of with 100K miles or more don't seem to be exhibiting this particular problem.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 60K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#145, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old Aug 20th, 2010, 11:21 am Thread Starter
Noob

"If you search the forums for "ball joint", you can find similar experiences."
Once I did hear of the diagnosis I did just that and found there are some cases very similar to mine, I amost did not post, but I thought it might save someone else the headache of trying to track it down.
By the way, with the steering stabilizer included the repair, it was really close to $1K with parts being about 60% of the total. Not bad considering the whole front of the bike was removed including the ABS pump. Quite a sight seeing 1/3 of the bike pretty much cut off and laying around in little pieces!

Meese,
I sure would like to know what does cause the parts to fail. The GM at SSBMW said they have seen maybe 6 failures and I assume that means since BMW started using ball joints in the front suspension on motorcycles.

Scott
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old Aug 20th, 2010, 1:29 pm
Veteran

Here's a closeup of one of the pairs of that $148 ball joint. Looks like a super thin wrench to get it on unless it comes apart somehow.

I'm curious if some sort of front end ratttle/shake test can determine if the joints are bad? Maybe strap down the bars while front is kept off the ground? I haven't seen anything as to a test for this yet, but haven't looked much either.

Mack
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old Sep 11th, 2010, 11:32 am
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meese
I don't think it's a wear item or age related thing. The few I've heard of have happened at relatively low miles. The GT's I know of with 100K miles or more don't seem to be exhibiting this particular problem.
Well, until NOW!

Leave it to my luck... After finally getting the bike back after the entire summer in the shop for a starter clutch/gear and water pump replace (second SUMMER in a row without the bike) the bike is just about getting unsafe. (thumping/slapping under braking)

Look for a new thread on my issues...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode