Looking at the K1200GT - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old Aug 18th, 2010, 8:01 pm Thread Starter
Rookie

Looking at the K1200GT

I went by the local dealer in Fredericksburg and they have a 07 K1200GT that I can get for $12750 out the door. Does this seem like a good price?

The bike has approx. 11K miles, extended risers, top case and ESA, heated grips/seats, and over-sized electric controlled windshield.

Is there anything specific I need to look for? Ask the dealer about? What maintenance can I expect in the near future? How difficult is it to do the basic maintenance?

I have an 08 Yamaha FZ1 that I am trading on the K12. I enjoy cruising and some fun in the twisties. I will mainly ride solo, but the wife will accompany me some of the time.

I appreciate any info you can give me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old Aug 18th, 2010, 10:36 pm
Veteran

I think it could come down a bit, there is wiggle room for sure. I really don't know if it's worth more than $10K.
The trunk, setbacks, and windshield are the only special items, everythin else you mentioned are on all US bikes, as is the electric tilt for the windshield.
They let you test drive it?
I HOPE it's the fast color!
Gilly

"No problem is so big or so complicated that it can't be run away from"

Dark Graphite: Making bikes faster for over 40 years.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old Aug 19th, 2010, 6:45 am Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GillyWI
I think it could come down a bit, there is wiggle room for sure. I really don't know if it's worth more than $10K.
The trunk, setbacks, and windshield are the only special items, everythin else you mentioned are on all US bikes, as is the electric tilt for the windshield.
They let you test drive it?
I HOPE it's the fast color!
Gilly
I looked at NADA and bluebook is 11.8K. The salesman was quoting 1K for the topcase, $800 for the ESA (option), $200 for the setbacks. Now that I have some more info, I will talk with them again about the price.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old Aug 19th, 2010, 7:11 am
Veteran

Hopefully more will chime in. You could do a search on ebay to get a general idea too.
Since I own the same bike, I will look around as well and report back. If you search, do an advanced search and click "show only completed auctions", that give you the best info, you can see whatthey are actually selling for, and even the ones that did NOT sell are usefull as you can see how much is TOO much.
I have under 10K miles on mine I don't really expect I'd get near that much for mine, really. Maybe I would.....
I really really don't think ESA was an option, does anyone with a 07 GT have one without it (asking others here). As far as equipment they were all close to the same in 07. You do see some with factory (underline factory) Xenon headlight and some without, to me that was about the only difference you saw in 07 was xenon. But many people like myself just added a Xenon kit. You will see the word Xenon through the headlight lens if it is the factory xenon headlight.
The trunk and barbacks you have to know if they are something you even want. I looked at a used GT before I bought mine new, and it had the barbacks and peg lowering kit. I rode the one I have now immediately after riding the used one and realized I was fine without either one, although I am now thinking the barbacks might be something I could maybe use. But anyways, the used one was one of the slower colors too, so I'm glad I bought the new one.
Gilly

post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old Aug 19th, 2010, 7:32 am
Veteran

I will report what I found and let the masses here analyze it:

2006 with 12.5K miles, didn't sell, reserve not met,10 bids up to $8200, had a buy it now of $10500(info from auction):
Mint condition 06 BMW k 1200 gt with top box side bags and tank bag, 1 indoor cover , 1 outdoor cover, always in climate controled garage, adult owned , new mmetzlers with 1500 miles on them, small scatch on right side lower fairing that has been touched up , must see. Will work with shipper of your choosing but will not crate bike.

2007 with less than 5600 on it, didn't sell, reserve not met, 4 bids up to $10,500, had a buy it now of $14000: (info from auction):
Excellent condition 2007 BMW K1200GT, only 5593 miles, one owner, always garaged. It is silver, never dropped or wrecked, no scratches or dings. Bought and serviced locally at Foothills BMW (Colorado).
The great thing about this motorcycle is that you can remove the top and side cases to go from sport bike to tour bike in a matter of seconds (see photos). This is the same bike that many of the police stations are now using. Fast and versatile. ABS brakes, adjustable windshield, adjustable handlebars, heated seats and grips, electronic cruise control, onboard computer, electronic suspension control, etc.
This motorcycle also includes the matching rear top case, a BMW battery tender, Garmin Zumo GPS, and tank bag.

2007 with 24700miles got NO bids at $6375 starting price? Nothing wrong with it either, so weird. The dealer had it up for auction with a buy it now price of $12500. Not a single bid, weird:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2007-...US_motorcycles

A 2008 with only 1736 miles is the only sold one here, it went for $13200:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2008-...US_motorcycles
imagine how much they could have gotten if it were the fast color......

Last one:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2006-...US_motorcycles

post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old Aug 19th, 2010, 7:43 am
Veteran

I'd say the most useful comparisons are the first one I listed and the only one that sold, the low mileage 08.

The first is closest on miles and closest in other equipment too, although one model year older, which does mean a little as they were continually updating the bikes. The highest bid (the highest anyone was willing to pay, remember) was $8200.

On the other hand, the pristine one, went for $2000 over what you are looking to pay, has 10K less miles, but no trunk. Again, you have to know if that trunk is worth that much to you. The trunk is actually an accesory and you can buy it for under a grand if you want it, i believe.

Looking this over, I don't think the bike you are looking at should go for much over $9000 WITH the trunk, or if you don't think you want the trunk, tell him $8000 to 8500 with out the trunk.

Gilly

post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old Aug 19th, 2010, 8:06 am Thread Starter
Rookie

Good info. I've been looking at the classifieds here to see what the avg prices for asking and selling have been. Didn't think about ebay.

I will look at the headlight today when I go by the dealership. Yes, the top case is something that I want since I will be riding 2 up with the wife. She really likes the additional support she gets with it.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old Aug 19th, 2010, 9:30 am
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglefrq
I went by the local dealer in Fredericksburg and they have a 07 K1200GT that I can get for $12750 out the door. Does this seem like a good price?

The bike has approx. 11K miles, extended risers, top case and ESA, heated grips/seats, and over-sized electric controlled windshield.

Is there anything specific I need to look for? Ask the dealer about? What maintenance can I expect in the near future? How difficult is it to do the basic maintenance?

I have an 08 Yamaha FZ1 that I am trading on the K12. I enjoy cruising and some fun in the twisties. I will mainly ride solo, but the wife will accompany me some of the time.

I appreciate any info you can give me.
Here are a few comments, based on my own experience. I bought a new 2007 KGT in June 2007. It is a "late 2007" model (see below). I bought it with all the options except the alarm system.

* EARLY vs. LATE MODEL 2007 K1200GTs
You can divide the 2007 K1200GTs into "early" and "late" models. The early models were available in Fall 2006 and early 2007. The late models started showing up on the dealer floors in Spring 2007.

The biggest difference is the seat. The early 2007 K1200GTs have the "2006 seat". The late 2007 K1200GTs have the same seat as the 2008s and the K1300GTs. They come as a matched pair of rider and passenger seats - you can't mate a 2006 rider seat with a 2008 passenger seat. The late 2007 (2008+ type) seats are widely regarded as a significant improvement over the early 2007 seats. 2006 seat owners complained often and loudly. A lucky few in the US were able to get their seats exchanged for the later model. Overseas, exchanges were more common. Many riders (of both seat types) bought aftermarket seats. I enjoy long distance riding, and have a Bill "Rocky" Mayer seat.

* EARLY VS LATE MODEL OPTIONS
Several factory options became available only on the late model 2007 K1200GTs. They include:
* Xenon (HID) low beam headlight. Many owners without HID add it later as an inexpensive after-market item.
* Tire Pressure Monitor - Rare
* Automatic Stability Control - Very rare in a 2007 K1200GT

* ESA vs NO ESA
I saw a few K1200GTs without ESA, but they were uncommon. My guess is 4 out of 5 K1200GTs have ESA.

* Recalls and Service Bulletins
You talked about buying from the dealer, so I assume all recalls have been done.
Service bulletins were done only if the rider complained about a specific issue. The most important service bulletin was the the air box replacement. Many riders complained about major surging and throttle control issues (search the forums for "BBS" - "bucking bronco syndrome"). Make sure this has been done or that the dealer is willing to do it for you at no cost if it hasn't been done.

* Comments about maintenance:
Anything done by your dealer is very expensive.
If a major component fails out of warranty, it will be quite expensive to replace.

Any genuine BMW maintenance parts (oil, filter, brake pads, air filter) are expensive compared with what I paid for parts on my old Honda Magna. Many riders buy other brands of maintenance products to save money. I have aftermarket brake pads on my K1200GT, but continue to use genuine BMW oil and filters.

Changing the oil, final drive oil, and brake pads is easy.
Changing the air filter takes more time and effort, because you must remove the side panel.
Checking the valve clearances (every 18 K miles) is a big job that involves removing the radiator, and you need a special vacuum tool to re-fill the radiator (Mine requires an air compressor to use.)
Good news - People here have posted lots of self-help threads on these forums to walk you through routine maintenance process. Another great resource is Semper_Fi's well done maintenance descriptions with photos on the BMWMOA website.
Recommendation - The BMW maintenance and repair DVD ($120) is well worth having.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old Aug 19th, 2010, 11:37 am Thread Starter
Rookie

XMagna thanx for the info. I will verify with the dealership that all recalls and service bulletins have been completed.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old Aug 19th, 2010, 12:11 pm
Veteran

One thing to mention is that my wife wanted back support as well, but I didn't really want that trunk, so there is a company that makes a product called "BakUp", which is a backrest that attaches over the rear rack. My wife likes it just fine and I am OK with the looks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	000_1047.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	984.2 KB
ID:	12480  

Last edited by GillyWI; Aug 19th, 2010 at 12:22 pm.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode