Good news....twice! (for a change) - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 21st, 2010, 6:18 pm Thread Starter
Veteran

Talking Good news....twice! (for a change)

OK....#1.....

I am once again amongst the 2 wheeled riding world! Yeah! Got the bike back this morning from Big Sky. Guys were good to deal with. No problems so kudos to them. So far....250 miles or so.....so good. Sounds good, runs well, nothing dripping......it still passes packs of Harleys at warp speed. Life is good. Time to start planning fall trips.

But secondly....and some times the irony in life is just SO bitter sweet that I just have to scream....

NEENER NEENER NEENER!

I learned today that.....oh it's just to good to be true but:

Beaudry Motorsports has SHUT DOWN!

Except for 1 guy there...Dave Hopkins, who was a straight forward stand up person....I couldn't be happier that they are all screwed and losing their shirts. Treat your customers like shit and it will always comes back to bight you in the ass. I'm just so glad I actually GOT my bike back before they locked it up.

Any way I see on some of the other boards that I'm far from the only one with these sentiments but haven't seen it mentioned here yet so figured a few of you would get a kick out of the info too.

I now return you to your regularly scheduled riding experience!

'07 GT Sold- 2012 GSA Triple Black - Farkles O'Plenty!

I think I'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe....but I am NOT a Dental Floss Tycoon!
What's with this STUPID Cosmic Door?! ....Going Somewhere?!....Going Somewhere?!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 21st, 2010, 8:27 pm
IBR# 366

Yeah, I heard about that, and thought of you . . .

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 60K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#145, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 21st, 2010, 9:15 pm
Veteran

What is it with multi-lines lately? One in Marin, and now Beaudry? Service must be big issue. I know salespeople are inundated with stuff they get thrown at with new models.

Beaudry still has their web page up, but no BMW. They refer to Hansen's in Medford, Oregon. Still show Suzuki, Augusta, Ducati, and KTM but I'm sure they are all gone too.

However, here's the real deal: You can buy Beaudry Motorsports for a cool $3.1 million.

Heard a couple of Harley shops closed this week too: one in Michigan and another in Carolina. Economy is still tough. Harley may be looking for some federal bailout money soon. Obama-Davidson anyone?

Mack
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 21st, 2010, 9:30 pm
Enthusiast

Yup, what goes around comes around. Glad your ridin' again.

Wayne

http://fergie.smugmug.com/

2006 K1200GT Blue
2008 F800ST Blue (Wifes)
2006 R1200RT (Traded)
2006 Kawasaki Ninja 500R (Traded)
1999 K1200LT (Sold)
1985 K100RT (Sold)
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 21st, 2010, 10:04 pm Thread Starter
Veteran

Interesting find Mack. I'm assuming there's no inventory for that price though. The guys at Big Sky told me that they packed up the semis and shipped everything away. Some others have stated that they went by and the the place is empty with a sign on the door directing any one to the service entrance. And yeah, the site is still up but when you call them even during business hours it's just a machine.

They're done.

3.1 mil though....hmmm....that's roughly 26 grand a month on a 15 year 5% loan. Not including labor, inventory or operating costs. Probably need to bring in 75 to 100k a month just to run the place. Not going to happen till things perk up. They also had to deal with Westside bringing in the BMW line just a few months back. (Never had a good warm fuzzy feeling about those guys either. Any place that won't let you test ride a new bike that you are obviously interested in buying sucks IMO) They are just down the freeway 25 minutes or so. I should have known something was up then cause there's no way that area can support 2 dealers. BMW had to know too. And I'd bet 100 bucks that they all knew while I was dealing with all the BS with them and that was probably a significant weigh in on the "nobody gives a rats ass factor". They all knew that they were toast so they screwed as many as possible first. And BMW let it happen knowing all along.

I'm deeply saddened.....really I am.

'07 GT Sold- 2012 GSA Triple Black - Farkles O'Plenty!

I think I'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe....but I am NOT a Dental Floss Tycoon!
What's with this STUPID Cosmic Door?! ....Going Somewhere?!....Going Somewhere?!

Last edited by Robert_W; Aug 21st, 2010 at 10:11 pm.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 21st, 2010, 10:39 pm
Veteran

Yeah, I heard that Marin BMW shop moved into some higher rent building near the freeway and it cost something on the order of $20K per month for rent alone. Didn't make it very long after that. Went multi-line too. Harley dealer there (Golden Gate) closed up the same week too. Just ain't gonna happen in this economy. If the owner owns the land and building outright, they may make it in rough times. A high rent/mortgage isn't where it's at now.

Wonder who's next? I have a feeling the fat lady hasn't finished singing yet.

Mack
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 22nd, 2010, 8:15 am
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMack
Yeah, I heard that Marin BMW shop moved into some higher rent building near the freeway and it cost something on the order of $20K per month for rent alone. Didn't make it very long after that. Went multi-line too. Harley dealer there (Golden Gate) closed up the same week too. Just ain't gonna happen in this economy. If the owner owns the land and building outright, they may make it in rough times. A high rent/mortgage isn't where it's at now.

Wonder who's next? I have a feeling the fat lady hasn't finished singing yet.

Mack
Here in Central Texas, we have no less than 4 large HD dealership along about a 100 mile stretch of I-35. All are positioned along the interstate and all are less than 8 years old--some just a couple of years old. The facilities are large, even opulent for motorcycle standards.

For the most part the traffic in and out of the HD dealerships is dead. I can't imagine they can keep their doors open much longer. My prediction is the guy who has the deepest pockets will win the local HD competition for customers.

Unfortunately, I belive the recovery is still at least 2 years ahead of us.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 22nd, 2010, 12:36 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandera
Here in Central Texas, we have no less than 4 large HD dealership along about a 100 mile stretch of I-35. All are positioned along the interstate and all are less than 8 years old--some just a couple of years old. The facilities are large, even opulent for motorcycle standards.

For the most part the traffic in and out of the HD dealerships is dead. I can't imagine they can keep their doors open much longer. My prediction is the guy who has the deepest pockets will win the local HD competition for customers.

Unfortunately, I believe the recovery is still at least 2 years ahead of us.
I have a feeling it will be far longer than two years. Probably long enough to the point the US wage matches or beats the Chinese wage and jobs come here. I believe even Mexico's GDP is ahead of the US now (7.6% there which is pretty good for them). They are getting the factories that we aren't.

I believe that $3.1 million for Beaudry's place is far over the top. Maybe 6 years ago when he got the note. Sounds just like people walking off from their home loans now. Probably could even steal it for $1 million in a few months if it sits. A 27,000 sq/ft. building is a lot of room for just a cycle shop.

Locally, our HD dealer is selling bikes, but has few on the floor now. One sales guy I know is moving about 16 per month and they have 3 salespeople (incl. owner who is one of them and is pretty active on the floor and doesn't hide out.). They even had some $42K Bagger that sold within a week. That place is opulent too and the new owner had to move it by the freeway too. So few bikes makes me wonder though: Ordering less or producing less?

Mack
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 22nd, 2010, 1:09 pm
Noob

I would say its both Mack. I heard ahwile back that they were going to shut down the Kansas city harley plant and move its lines in with some other plant, but it hasn't happened yet, even though they have layed off about 200 guys to date. Harleys are still a luxury item just like any other bike, and worse for them, the used market is absolutely flooded with them. The days of Harley shops behaving like asswipes who your imposing on and are to good for you unless you give them several G over sticker are done, at least here in Kansas City.
If your not involved in said hard times, it sure is a great time to be a motorcycle buyer of any brand!
I bought my perfect 08 k1200gt with every last option, 11,800 miles, with a low heated Sargent thrown in, back in March from Engle BMW for only $13,000! They had an 07 R1200R with bags, heated seats, ztech screen, and jug guards,with only 4000 miles for $9900. I hear the Jap bike sellers are just putting them out by the curb for big pickup day!

Brett

I may be a sociopath, but at least I have a path!
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 22nd, 2010, 1:38 pm
Addict-oholic

Harley is just as bad. There was a local dealer here for 40 plus years, Reggie Pink. I bought my first Schwinn from them and then my first Suzuki bike. Harley talked them into moving across the street intprobably heavily financed.

Then Reggie finally closes as the other dealer, either is more aggressive or has better terms than the older dealer.

It really sucks when a franchisor screws his longterm dealer.by opening direct compettion too near his front door.If the older dealer was guilty of anything, it is because they let their parent organization talk them into moving into a new glitzy place while the old one was still doing a more than adequae shop making profits.

Larry
Deep Blue 2009 K1300GT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode