Michelin Pilot Road 2 K1300GT Tire Pressure - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 31st, 2010, 2:09 pm Thread Starter

Michelin Pilot Road 2 K1300GT Tire Pressure

I put on a set of Michelin Pilot Road 2s on my GT and was wondering if anyone could let me know the optimum pressure.

I weight 280 pounds and ride relatively aggressive. I have been running them at 36 psi front an 42 back.

I understand that the pressure depends on traction vs. longevity but was wondering what riders thought was a good balance.

My fronts outlast the back by quite a few thousand (the OEMs did and at 7000 km the PRs are wearing like the OEMs)

When my front pressure dropped to 23 psi there was MUCH more traction (someone else in a different forum mentioned that these tires make it seem like you are falling into a curve and I see what he meant by the falling felling, which is a good thing!)

Any advise would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 31st, 2010, 4:04 pm
Veteran

I'm 230Lbs and ride fairly aggressive and I just ordered my 4th or 5th set of PR2's. I've always kept 42 rear and 40 front. Get around 6500 to 7k miles out of the rear. Front still has at least 2 or 3 k more to go but I always just change both. Ride loaded 99% of the time and one up. Never had an issue with traction wet or dry and I've scrapped plenty of feelers and the foot expander on my kickstand is worn quite well...... but I definitely take it easier when its wet. Just no reason to push it then.

'07 GT Sold- 2012 GSA Triple Black - Farkles O'Plenty!

I think I'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe....but I am NOT a Dental Floss Tycoon!
What's with this STUPID Cosmic Door?! ....Going Somewhere?!....Going Somewhere?!

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 1st, 2010, 6:06 pm
Enthusiast

I once sat through an extremely detailed motorcycle tire seminar at a Curve Cowboy Reunion put on by Bridgestone. In short the engineer said always run it at the tire manufacturers maximum pressure, in the case of most tires for our GT's, that would be 42. I used to run my RT at 36 f/42r, maybe that's why it always cupped.

2006 GT
2002 RT sold
1985 Maxim X sold
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 2010, 12:15 am

no my fronts are cupped after 4,000 miles and I always run at factory pressure.

Another 2,000 or so and I will get some new tires, just in time for winter driving.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 2010, 2:51 am
Enthusiast

I'm on my second set of PR-2's and have yet to notice any cupping of the front tire. I run them at 36-F and 42-R and have just over 5,000 miles on this set and they are wearing perfectly. I got 6,000 on the last set and replaced them both cause the front was getting close to the wear-bars. I will probably get close to 7,000 on this set from the looks of things.

Been very happy with them up to this point and don't see me going with a different tire anytime soon. As far as the tire pressure thing, I stay on top of checking pressures every other day which I think really makes a difference in the longevity of the tire.

Initial Success, or Total Failure.
'08 K1200GT (Adventurin Silver)
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 2010, 9:07 am
Veteran

The 2007 K1200GT is on its second set of Michelin Pilot Road 2s. I prefer Avon Storms, but I bought another set of PR2s when they were on sale ($230 for the pair). The price was too good to pass up. I wish I had bought two pairs at that price.

The original pair of PR2s yielded 9,646 miles. When I changed them out for the Avon Storms, there was enough tread left for another 1,000 to 2,000 miles. I swapped them out to have fresh rubber for a 3,000 mile trip. I am a gentle rider, and ride many more miles on slabs than twisties. The original PR2s had a "B" rear. The current set does not. I haven't noticed a difference, even when fully loaded, or (very rarely) two up.

I keep my tires at the BMW recommended pressures: 36 psi front, 42 psi rear, as displayed by the TPM. When I fill them, I start them at one or two psi over the recommended pressure, then allow them drift down to one psi under over a period of several weeks before refilling them. There is definitely a difference in feel between the high and low pressure points, despite being only 3 psi apart. When newly filled, the ride is harder and the bike "flicks" and falls into turns easier. When it is time to refill, the tires are "stickier".

The BMW factory TPMs are notorious for reading approximately 2-3 psi low compared with external pressure gauges, which matches my own experience. Thus, the true nominal tire pressures are probably around 38 and 44 psi respectively.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 2010, 9:32 am
Veteran

Wow....$230 for the set? Please share where so we can keep an eye out for a sale. Maybe they have some sort of coupon deal or email gig? I would buy 2 or 3 sets for that price. I just ordered a set from SW Moto for $301.95 with the "b" rear. Price included shipping so I thought that was pretty good. I've run both the "b" and non "b" rear and can't say that I have ever noticed a difference in handling but I sure do like the confidence factor of having that extra side wall ply. A little over engineering never hurts I suppose.

BTW SW Moto has the B's in stock here: PR2's set with B rear

'07 GT Sold- 2012 GSA Triple Black - Farkles O'Plenty!

I think I'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe....but I am NOT a Dental Floss Tycoon!
What's with this STUPID Cosmic Door?! ....Going Somewhere?!....Going Somewhere?!

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 2010, 11:16 am
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_W
Wow....$230 for the set? Please share where so we can keep an eye out for a sale. Maybe they have some sort of coupon deal or email gig? I would buy 2 or 3 sets for that price. I just ordered a set from SW Moto for $301.95 with the "b" rear. Price included shipping so I thought that was pretty good. I've run both the "b" and non "b" rear and can't say that I have ever noticed a difference in handling but I sure do like the confidence factor of having that extra side wall ply. A little over engineering never hurts I suppose.

BTW SW Moto has the B's in stock here: PR2's set with B rear
Motorhelmets had the sale. Unfortunately, it expired at the end of last year (31 December 2009). I heard about it on one of the k-bikes forums. The $230 included sales tax. The retail store is close to my home, so it was a local pick-up, and I didn't have to pay shipping. I didn't ask, but I doubt they gave me the "B" rear. As I said earlier, I wish I had bought two or three sets at that price. The price for the same pair of tires is $280 on their website, and I presume that they will charge sales tax (to California residents) and shipping if needed.

Motorhelmets
1871 W. Commonwealth Ave., Fullerton, CA 92833
714-879-8882
800-288-0640
http://www.motorhelmets.com/
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 10th, 2010, 1:12 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for all the advise.

I tried a few changes and found 35F and 41R were the best pressures for grip and comfort.

It's amazing how much difference a couple of pounds can make.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 10th, 2010, 2:44 pm

another source

Not an answer to the original question but this vendor was recommended to me by a friend so I ordered up a second Storm rear a week ago as the first Storm was past the wear bar at 5,000 miles, front is still good. I'm frequently limited by vendors who won't ship to AK even though Anchorage is a hub for FedEx, UPS, etc. Jake Wilson has reasonable prices and service was good.
http://www.jakewilson.com

I use a decent gauge to check my tires and keep them at the BMW spec, 42R, 36F or slightly higher. The TPS is always low as is reported by most of you.

2016 R1200 GSA, 2007 K1200 GT, 1981 CBX, 1975 Norton, 1968 Moto Guzzi
The Banks Tour - Fair to Outer

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode