Center stand failure - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Aug 31st, 2010, 7:06 pm Thread Starter
Addict

Center stand failure

Just sharing a minor but still not cheap failure. Rode into work today. Stopped for gas. Used the center stand during the fill up and it's business as usual. Pull into my parking space at work and proceed to park on the center stand and half way through the step, lift and rotate process my foot hits the ground and the bike plunks back down.......and thankfully stays vertical. The center stand extension arm for stepping down and leveraging the bike up snapped off at the weld for the angle brace tube.

As failures go this one was nicely uneventful. I considered buying a new center stand but after checking the price and knowing that the new one will most likely someday fail unexpectanty I'm just going to repair this one. My plan is to take a hardened steel rod and grind and shape it so just fits within the tube and extends into each side at least 2 inches. Then I'll cross drill about one inch on each side of the break and drive a pin through the tube and rod. Mig weld the joint and tack weld each side of the pins. A little paint and it should be much better than new.

I'm thinking that I may just hunkerdown over the Labor Day holiday and besides fixing the center stand, I'll check the valve adjustment, cam sprocket bolts and cam bearing cap nuts. I also need to add a direct to battery accessory socket for my battery charger. Shoud be a fun weekend!

John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Aug 31st, 2010, 8:53 pm
IBR# 366

Yep, BTDT.

See this thread for details of my repair.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 60K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#145, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Aug 31st, 2010, 9:25 pm Thread Starter
Addict

Ken, thanks for the link. My center stand failure is absolutely identical to all three of yours and to others. Your fix is just as identical to what I had in mind. BTW, when the stand broke this morning I immediately blamed you. After my road trip to the midwest in July, I decided to take your lead and continue to use the KGT as my exclusive daily communter. I figured if you can do it so can I. So for the last 6 weeks rain and shine that's what I did and I was getting pretty smug about the how much money I was saving in fuel while reducing our dependency on foreign oil. Then the center stand broke and screwed up my whole Zen thing.

While it's nothing new, I'll go ahead post pictures of the before and after.

Thanks again for the link.

John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Aug 31st, 2010, 11:14 pm
Veteran

See this thread, especially the photos in various posts:

http://www.k-bikes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18643

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode