Charging Issue?? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 5th, 2010, 6:54 am Thread Starter

Charging Issue??

I am hopeful that there are some folks of the forum who are pretty good motorcycle mechanics and are willing to share a bit of their experience and wisdom to help point me in the correct direction for next steps.

I have a 2006 K1200GT and am currently in Eureka Springs, Arkansas to enjoy the beautiful motorcycle roads Arkansas has to offer. Yesterday morning when we left Mena, Arkansas we rode about 20 miles and my general warning light came on red. Also, the battery symbol came on. I pulled over, got my manual out and learned that this was an indication of a charging issue. While pondering what to do I remembered that my radar detector reads the charging voltage and after starting the bike it read 14.2. We had stopped on the side of the highway and decided to move to a safe local to investigate further.

After getting to a rest stop we removed the batter cover and checked the voltage to the battery with engine running. It read 14.2 V. I called a BMW dealer and explained the symptoms to them and they said that I was okay and it was likely a monitoring issue and that I needed to bring the bike in to have it analyzed. I elected to continue on the ride and rode 240 miles with the light on but with no starting issues or any indication that the battery was not getting a sufficient charge other than the warning indications. I am also wondering if it is possible for the charge to be the proper voltage but for the charging current to be less than what is required for a proper charge.

What should be my next step. I am supposed to ride from Dallas to Sipapu, NM next week for the Bavarian Mountain Weekend but I don't want to go if I am risking getting stranded in west Texas in the middle of no where. If I have neglected to list any info that might assist please let me know.

I apologize for the lengthy post and thank you in advance for any advice offered.

David J.
Dallas, TX
2006K1200GT (Heidi)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 5th, 2010, 8:46 am
Addict

Quick stop at a local BMW dealer to see if any fault codes show up on their diagnostic computer? Many shops will welcome a drop in (Big Sky BMW took me immediately when out on a tour with a clutch slave problem), some might not.

2008 K1200GT, Custom Paint, Vivid Black, Aeroflow WS & Aeroguards, Givi E52 Maxia Topcase w/AdMore Lighting, Zumo 660, Suburban Footpeg Lowering, Sargent Seat

2009 R1200GS Adventure, Magnesium Grey/Black, Adventure Cases, Zumo 660, Touratech Unobtanium Accessories

1974 Norton Commando 850 Soon to be a restoration project
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 5th, 2010, 9:23 am
Addict

I would definitely get to a BMW dealer for a diagnostic as soon as possible but it could be that your battery is starting to fail and this is causing the CANBUS system to indicate a charging fault. Until you get it checked, don't be surprised if the battery simply dies without warning when you go to start the engine. Also, don't be surprised at the cost of the replacement battery. Many on this site switch to an aftermarket battery. Do a search on "battery" in this forum.

Good luck and let us know what happens.

John 06 KGT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 5th, 2010, 6:47 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by John06KGT
I would definitely get to a BMW dealer for a diagnostic as soon as possible but it could be that your battery is starting to fail and this is causing the CANBUS system to indicate a charging fault. Until you get it checked, don't be surprised if the battery simply dies without warning when you go to start the engine. Also, don't be surprised at the cost of the replacement battery. Many on this site switch to an aftermarket battery. Do a search on "battery" in this forum.

Good luck and let us know what happens.

John 06 KGT
If you're looking for a new battery, you may also want to do a search on "Odyssey". (Or PC680MJ or PC680.)
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 5th, 2010, 7:59 pm
Addict-oholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by free2ride
I am hopeful that there are some folks of the forum who are pretty good motorcycle mechanics and are willing to share a bit of their experience and wisdom to help point me in the correct direction for next steps.

I have a 2006 K1200GT and am currently in Eureka Springs, Arkansas to enjoy the beautiful motorcycle roads Arkansas has to offer. Yesterday morning when we left Mena, Arkansas we rode about 20 miles and my general warning light came on red. Also, the battery symbol came on. I pulled over, got my manual out and learned that this was an indication of a charging issue. While pondering what to do I remembered that my radar detector reads the charging voltage and after starting the bike it read 14.2. We had stopped on the side of the highway and decided to move to a safe local to investigate further.

After getting to a rest stop we removed the batter cover and checked the voltage to the battery with engine running. It read 14.2 V. I called a BMW dealer and explained the symptoms to them and they said that I was okay and it was likely a monitoring issue and that I needed to bring the bike in to have it analyzed. I elected to continue on the ride and rode 240 miles with the light on but with no starting issues or any indication that the battery was not getting a sufficient charge other than the warning indications. I am also wondering if it is possible for the charge to be the proper voltage but for the charging current to be less than what is required for a proper charge.

What should be my next step. I am supposed to ride from Dallas to Sipapu, NM next week for the Bavarian Mountain Weekend but I don't want to go if I am risking getting stranded in west Texas in the middle of no where. If I have neglected to list any info that might assist please let me know.

I apologize for the lengthy post and thank you in advance for any advice offered.

Definitely sounds like your battery is just about done. i got the same symptoms when my 2006KGT was 3 years old.. Get an Odyssey..
Currently my 2009KGT is a year and a half old and i get a low battery flashing when I do a start after the bike is warmed up and shut down. i have to goose the engine to get the light out. I have the Odyssey in the garage to be hooked up in the next few days.
It can't hurt to try a new battery as you are going to need one soon anyway. This may cure the problem or it will not. then you need to see the dealer..

Larry
Deep Blue 2009 K1300GT
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 5th, 2010, 8:40 pm Thread Starter

Well, the general concensus seems to be that it is the batter. I replaced the original battery last winter with a Odyssey PC680MJ. Is it possible that it has failed so quickly?

David J.
Dallas, TX
2006K1200GT (Heidi)
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 6th, 2010, 8:12 am
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by free2ride
Well, the general concensus seems to be that it is the batter. I replaced the original battery last winter with a Odyssey PC680MJ. Is it possible that it has failed so quickly?
I suppose it is possible, but it isn't likely. Odyssey batteries have a reputation for lasting many years, far beyond the stock BMW battery. I have friends who have been using their Odyssey batteries for several years without issue. I have had mine for about a year with no issues or problems (bought in late June 2009, sat on shelf, installed in early October 2009).
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 7th, 2010, 5:55 am Thread Starter

Well I am back from Arkansas after riding an a twisty curvy 850 miles with the charging current general warning light on. The bike is obviously charging as thought or it would have died long ago during the trip.

Went to a friends house yesterday afternoon and swapped the battery out for his and still have the same fault. Left the power off for about 5 minutes to see if it cleared the fault but the fault remained. I am assuming that it has to be some type of monitoring issue. I am not working to locate someone with a GS-911 that can read any fault codes for me. Failing that I either have to go to a dealer or get a GS-911 myself.

Still want to hear any thoughts on what the issue may be. Thanks

David J.
Dallas, TX
2006K1200GT (Heidi)
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 7th, 2010, 6:16 pm Thread Starter

A friend came by and hooked up his GS-911 to my bike to see if there were any faults that would cause my problem. The bike has no faults indicated and all of the real time data was fine.

What to do next?

David J.
Dallas, TX
2006K1200GT (Heidi)
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Dec 3rd, 2010, 3:39 pm

Seems like this thread describes your problem:

http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?t=30786

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode