K1300GT Starting Problem When Hot - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 6th, 2010, 11:24 am Thread Starter
Noob

K1300GT Starting Problem When Hot

Hi, to all. First my issue and then some happy news of a great vacation

We took the 2009 K1300GT to Algonquin Provincial Park for a week camping vacation- great time! but back to the issue.

When we got to the Canadian/US border, the line was very long and the fan came on to cool the bike. When I finally got to the immigration booth, I shut off the bike. After answering the questions, my bike would not start. Click, Click Click. The starter would not engage and all I heard was a very disheartening "Click" I pushed the bike to the side and the bike started after it cooled (temp between first and second bar).

Question: Do I have a problem or is this some type of "safety" protocol to protect the engine?

If it's a problem, what do you think the problem is? If a "safety" protocol, this is certainly inconvenient, if not dangerous, if you are in the middle of the highway, etc.

Back to the fun part! We left Pennsylvania last Sunday and worked our way up the Finger Lakes and then to the Park. The Park is beautiful with very few people. We had a great camp site at Mew Lake. We then worked our way to Ottawa and spent a day walking around- beautiful city with much to do. We headed toward Burlington, Vt, and spent a night- another great place and walked through the University as all the students finished their first week of classes (I think I want to go join the students instead of going back to work). We road through the backroads of Vermont and enjoyed every minute of the ride and return yesterday (back to reality).

Thanks for your help and I appreciate all the wisdom I receive at this site. Best regards, Keith
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 6th, 2010, 11:41 am
Veteran

Sounds like your battery is on its way out. Mine got pushed behind a gas station after it refused to start (it slow cranked until it cooled a bit) about 4-5 months when new in 2006. Replaced it with the Odyssey in the metal jacket. The metal jacket is for working in higher temp. environments: without the M.J. it is 120, and with the metal it's something like 160-170 as I recall. It's more than 120 degrees under that battery cover. It has cranked fine ever since.

The BMW stock battery really is a poor performer and you probably can get another free, but then it will probably fail soon as well. They don't like heat at all. I think it was a Odyssey PC680MJ designation I replaced the stocker with. I paid about $115 at the local car battery shop as they use them in some golf carts too. From a motorcycle shop they are about $135.

Good luck.

Mack
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 6th, 2010, 11:45 am

yup, my battery failed 3 weeks after I bought the bike NEW.

Hated to spend money on that new a bike but I have never regretted the Odyssey
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 6th, 2010, 11:57 am
Addict-oholic

Not unusual. My bike is also a 2009 and is now a year and half old, and I am having my battery light come on while starting after the bike is warmed up. I purchased the Odyssey and it is in my garage awaiting installation. I will do it this week as yeaterday on a longish ride, I had to goose the engine a lot after a hard start t ge the battery light off. At one point, I stalled the bike ( my err0r) and upon starting with difficulty, I got some flashing errors on the dash. After a good solid ride section, I shut the key off and turned it on immediately. The error codes cleared but the battery light did stay on..
So it is the new battery this week.

Larry
Deep Blue 2009 K1300GT
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 6th, 2010, 4:16 pm
Enthusiast

I had the same exact situation and the dealer ran some diagnosis on my battery, supposedly using special test equipment and found the battery to be healthy. He had the regional tech looked at it and said that BMWNA is aware of the problem and will install heavier gauge wire from the battery to starter to fix the problem. I know some have eliminated the problem with a new Odyssey battery, but just telling you what BMWNA said. And you know they never make any mistakes.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 9th, 2016, 11:49 am
Noob

I have an 09 same problem, the battery (yusha) was only a year old, mine would not start after I gassed-up, the dealer replaced the battery with another one a few weeks ago (yusha) I have a feeling I will still have the problem. I'm glad I stumbled across this web-site, Think I'll be installing a PC680..

Naz
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 12th, 2016, 9:36 am
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naz Simon View Post
I have an 09 same problem, the battery (yusha) was only a year old, mine would not start after I gassed-up, the dealer replaced the battery with another one a few weeks ago (yusha) I have a feeling I will still have the problem. I'm glad I stumbled across this web-site, Think I'll be installing a PC680..

Naz
I use an Odyssey PC680MJ in my 2007 K1200GT. They work flawlessly and last for many years, far longer than the BMW OEM gel battery or the basic Yuasa batteries. They are definitely worth the cost. I am not sure that an "MJ" battery is necessary - the basic PC680 is good enough. I bought the PC680MJ for the extra "insurance".

Do not ignore remphoto's comments, however. There have been problems with the K1200GT and K1300GT regarding the factory battery wires, and the fix has been to increase the current carrying capacity of the wires from the battery. There are two things that I am not sure of:

* Whether BMW dealers are replacing the wire with a thicker gauge, or double the wire with an extra one. I had read elsewhere that they were adding a second wire in parallel. A quick web search may answer the question.

* Whether BMW will pay for this to be done on older bikes if the problem appears.

For the record, I bought my PC680MJ battery for reliability and longevity. I have ridden all over the country in cold and hot weather (up to 113 F, if I recall correctly) and never had a startup problem. I never had the extra cable installed.

P.S. When you purchase a PC680 (or PC680MJ), you will need to add a small shim - a strip of material between the battery clamp and the battery to get a firm clamping grip on the Odyssey battery. Some people recommend a small strip from an old plastic cutting board. Anything safe and durable will do. I use a strip of plywood, but do not recommend it - one of these days I will change it for something more inert.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 12th, 2016, 12:08 pm
Addict-oholic

The 2009GT has a known defect of the hot starting issue. There is a recall, as my local dealer replaced the battery wires last year. I finally replaced my Odyssey. it was not having a real issue of holding a charge, but I was out of commission physically and did not use the bike for 8 months except for one 10 minute run very early this year. So, I replaced the odyssey recently, so it would hold a good charge longer.
BTW, I put the older Odyssey on a very slow trickle charge for a month and I am using it another situation that does not require engine starting and it performs admirably.

Larry
Deep Blue 2009 K1300GT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode