Akrapovic or not - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 6th, 2010, 9:48 pm Thread Starter

Akrapovic or not

Hello
I got rear ended at a stop by a riding partner. Nothing serious, but enough to get a new right side case assly, tail light lens, right upper and lower fairing and the muffler. I have the choice to replace the muffler by an OEM or an Akrapovic. I had the opportunity to have a look at a k13gt with this pipe and to listen to it. Oh boy! The sound is pretty nice, low tone rumble, and lighter and the last but not least a 5-7% incerase torque/hp at mid range.

It seems also that it may be necessary to repack the Akras after a while. Can I get infos on how long between repacking it and the where and how much for a kit?

But I'm the conservative type and would like to know before making my decision, if someone can validate the upgrade? Because of the accident I have this opportunity, otherwise I only tought about it.

Thanks for the input.

Bests Regards

Sylvain
08 k1200gt
08 F800S wife's
02 wr426
1978 r100/7

Last edited by SylvainB; Sep 6th, 2010 at 9:53 pm. Reason: More info neded
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 7th, 2010, 4:48 am
Addict

repack's are usually done at rather long intervals, and are rather simple and cheap to accomplish. If I were you, I'd go for the akra. You'll save some weight and gain some power. However, you will gain some noise as well.

2006 K12R Aluminum - 6/2007~current
-ESA, ABS, heated grips, sport bags.
-PCIII w/ dyno tuned street map
-Leo Vince Ti silencer
-HID main light
-HID aux lights
-dual air filters
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 7th, 2010, 4:49 am
Veteran

I can't "validate" the upgrade, whatever that means. I'd put the stock can back on it.

"No problem is so big or so complicated that it can't be run away from"

Dark Graphite: Making bikes faster for over 40 years.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 7th, 2010, 5:10 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GillyWI
"validate" ... stock can back on it.
Meaning can you recommend the change, but you answered it ... stock can back on it. Thanks

Bests Regards

Sylvain
08 k1200gt
08 F800S wife's
02 wr426
1978 r100/7
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 7th, 2010, 8:40 pm
Veteran

Well, that's what I'd do. I like it quiet. It probably costs more than the aftermarket, but not sure. Not sure who's paying for it, but check the price, you might be better off getting the stock one back (I'd assume WAY more expensive), then if you want the aftermarket, you can buy that and save the stock one, in case a future potential buyer wants the stock muffler back.
Unsure about the increase in power, mostly these claims are made by the same people wanting to sell you the new muffler, so use proper suspicion. Sure it would be lighter.
Also the stock muffler has a crapalytic converter built in to it, not sure if that matters to you personally or to the law in your area.

Gilly

"No problem is so big or so complicated that it can't be run away from"

Dark Graphite: Making bikes faster for over 40 years.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 9th, 2010, 6:36 pm
Rookie

I would get the Akra, you can find used stock mufflers on Ebay for very little cash. My GT had been dumped over by the previous owner leaving a pretty nice dent in the muffler. I got a really nice replacement on ebay for $50 plus $30 for shipping. New stock muffler is over $1300. Just my two cents.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 9th, 2010, 8:49 pm Thread Starter

Akra and clutch!!

Hi,
Here in Quebec a new oem muffler is 1900.00 ! The Akra is around 1300.00. I had in mind a lesser value for the bike if the akra was on . But I talked to the dealer and the stock muffler will be returned to me. It's still in decent shape, and I believe I'll be able to pop out the dent and straighten the muffler band. So after all I'll get the Akra, I'll put the difference in a clutch kit as the it started acting up, neutral hard to select and lurching forward when starting in first clutch pulled in. AT 48000 klm, it's no longer on the warranty. They don't tell you that when you buy the bike, expect to pay to put in a clutch even if the bike has one more year of warranty protection.

Bests Regards

Sylvain
08 k1200gt
08 F800S wife's
02 wr426
1978 r100/7
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 10th, 2010, 8:33 am
Enthusiast

I like the low tone rumble of my K12S - even better with the baffle out. Your lose is sound to your ears - enjoy your K13GT - Go for it ! Just remember you still have to ride with your friend - he might not like you after you get the new bike & a Akr pipe.

'91 K75S
'06 K1200S
BMWMOA # 119240
Yankee Beemer # 153
NRA # 154764753
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 10th, 2010, 3:52 pm Thread Starter

I had a look at a K13 with the akra, and I heard it as well , But I would keep my K12gt and instal the akra.

Bests Regards

Sylvain
08 k1200gt
08 F800S wife's
02 wr426
1978 r100/7

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode