The USA needs an Autobaun. - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 7th, 2010, 11:30 pm Thread Starter
Veteran

The USA needs an Autobaun.

Maybe the I-5 in the Central Valley of California? It's damn desolate out there and everyone seems to be doing 85 MPH anyway. It's very rare to hear of wrecks on the desolate stretch of road until it hits the cities.

Two more lanes in each direction and some electronic signage over them indicating the permissible and assigned speeds for that particular lane? Able to change lanes only every three miles?

Beats having a high speed rail where they also need to acquire land, environmental controls, and stations that slow the entire thing down and still the need for rapid transit (an oxymoron) once there. They've been kicking high-speed rail round for decades as it is and the cost is in the billions anyway.

Just give us an Autobaun.

Mack
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 7th, 2010, 11:51 pm
IBR# 366

I'm in.

I did notice that I-15 in Utah has a few 80 mph test sections now, Maybe that'll start something on other long, lonely interstates . . .

I'm hoping that I-15 from L.A. to Vegas gets a special lane with an unlimited speed limit.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 60K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#145, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...

Last edited by Meese; Sep 8th, 2010 at 1:19 pm.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 8th, 2010, 8:08 am

We have some 80 MPH sections of slab in west Texas.

David J.
Dallas, TX
2006K1200GT (Heidi)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 8th, 2010, 10:16 am
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by free2ride
We have some 80 MPH sections of slab in west Texas.
True, but the 80 MPH speed limit is daylight only. At night, the speed limit drops to 65 MPH. Driving at night there is a bit dicey anyway, because of all the deer.

DAMHIK - http://www.k-bikes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22029 (See posts #2 and #4, which include this topic.)
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 8th, 2010, 11:26 am
Addict

HSR is better than an autobahn in the US. U.S. safety standards for vehicles are much lower than Europe. I don't mean new cars, I mean annual safety inspection requirements, which the US does not have. The maintenance level of vehicles that use the Autobahn are, on average, much higher than they are in the US, where all we need is a smog inspection. There's no required limit to when we NEED to change our tires, or if we need to do maintenance. People in the U.S. drive around on bald tires that they bought 2nd hand from a shop that imports. Many people don't keep up with major maintenance for their powertrain since it's "expensive to do a timing belt change for their car." There is NO WAY I am going to be riding my bike or driving at 100mph next to or behind a car that isn't guaranteed to be current on preventative maintenance.

On the road, especially as bikers, it's more about what other people do, and how to protect yourself from other's stupidities.

As for speed limits, people will always break them. post 55, people go 60~65 average. post 65, people go 70~75 average. on the I-5 in the middle of nowhere CA, it's 70 I think, and people got 75~85 average. If you raise the speed limit, people will just go even faster, and it doesn't solve anything.

Besides, I'd rather take a little nap on a train than drive a boring straight stretch of road. :-)

Now, if we implemented a system where there is a required annual inspection, and everyone is REQUIRED to do ALL the preventative maintenance and any fixes as suggested by a honest mechanic, then sure, I'm all for higher speed limits. This system would probably take a LOT of car off the road since it would be too expensive to drive. But we need a much better public transit system before this can happen.

2006 K12R Aluminum - 6/2007~current
-ESA, ABS, heated grips, sport bags.
-PCIII w/ dyno tuned street map
-Leo Vince Ti silencer
-HID main light
-HID aux lights
-dual air filters
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 8th, 2010, 12:06 pm
IBR# 366

Well, there's always the Nevada proposal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aznatama
Besides, I'd rather take a little nap on a train than drive a boring straight stretch of road. :-)
Ah, but it's not boring if you're doing 100+ while surrounded by old clunkers with bald tires and Nascar stickers . . .

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 60K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#145, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 8th, 2010, 1:59 pm
JCW
contributor

I thought there are roads in Montana that are almost unrestricted. If you get pulled over, it's just an environmental fee and no points on your license?

Edit- Looks like it was changed in 1999 to 75mph.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speed_l...States#Montana

'06 K1200R- in pieces
'73 Honda CB500F- slow but fun.
'77 Yamaha XS 750 triple- kinda
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 8th, 2010, 5:53 pm
Addict

I agree with the need for speed on remote highways but I-5 through cerntral California would just invite disaster. Also agree that autos not prepared for such speed would ceate a hazard for all.

I know it would be 'unfair' and 'subjective' but on real remote highways the citation issuance should be up to the officer viewing the speed deciding on the traffic, driving actions and type of car. I know it wouldn't work but wouldn't it be nice to know that the officer could pull you over and suggest to keep it under 100 rather than HAVE to issue a ticket?
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 8th, 2010, 6:06 pm

I ride on the Autobahn everyday.It's the last mile before I turn left into my subdivision. I usually do 100-120mph

Have a Great Ride, Lenbo

2008 BMW K1200 GT
2000 HD Night Train
88 HD Softail Custom
86 1100 HD Sportster
69 900 HD Sportster
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 8th, 2010, 8:30 pm
Veteran

Here in MT it is law that if you are 10 mph or less over the limit it's a $20 fine payable on the spot an zero points on your license. What few cops there are won't even look twice if you're 10 to 15 over the limit. Too much paper work for 20 bucks. Which basically gives you 80 to 90 mph any where you want. Just be careful and respectful in and around towns and it's pretty much have at it. I once got pulled over for 97 in a 70 here. Frankly, through out the west I routinely cruise in that 75 to 90 range and rarely have a problem. And, I just don't feel the need to cruise 100 plus for any length of time any where. Our roads weren't built for it and there's just WAY to many worthless drivers out there.

The other thing I find a lot in rural west......I avoid the main interstate connecting cities like the plague.....is that the are significantly greater percentage of courteous drivers out there that any where around a metro area.

Bottom line though, I think we've got 1000's of miles of roads in the western US that can be ridden at any speed for a long time that the GT is comfy doing. We don't need no stinking Autobahn!

'07 GT Sold- 2012 GSA Triple Black - Farkles O'Plenty!

I think I'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe....but I am NOT a Dental Floss Tycoon!
What's with this STUPID Cosmic Door?! ....Going Somewhere?!....Going Somewhere?!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode