Ball Joints!? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 11th, 2010, 11:51 am Thread Starter
Addict

Ball Joints!?

Background:

I took the bike to the local stealer for some ext. warranty work. When I called the Ext. Warr. folks they said they had never heard of me, so I had to go dig it out of my file cabinet. (I've never had this issue before, but I also had dealers that would file the claim for me)

So while I was getting the policy #, I read that my superDuper platinum/gold/diamond warr. covered brake rotors and calipers. Well, I had been having an issue with what felt like warped rotors for a little while, so I had them check the thump/thump. Turned out the tech just rode it, and when he measured the rotor thickness they were at the lower limit. Warr. won't cover worn out rotors (fair enough) so I bought some EBC rotors (Have you seen the absurd price of OEM rotors! I got two rotors for less than one OEM!)

I sat on them for the 3 months it took to change out a starter clutch and water pump seal... Got the bike back Tuesday and it was worse under braking. I changed the rotors once I got home and thought, yea, this will be nice!

Wrong! Its just as bad and almost violent. So up the front end goes and with a pretty good pull/push I can see the front carrier moves a bit. I guess its time to pony up the $300 for a couple of new bearings. (Thank goodness the overtime is available lately at work!)

Anyone done this? Any tips/tricks?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 11th, 2010, 6:09 pm
Addict

Why are you going to do the ball joint replacement yourself when you have the extended warranty?

James

06 K1200R Corbin w/ smuggler, Wilbers shocks, PCIII, Factory Pro Dyno tuned, CC Suspension plates, Vario levers, Dual Evo filters, Leo Vince SBK, V1, Zumo 550

02 WR250F Stock

99 SV650 GSX-R front end, Aftershocks suspension, Penske shock, 41mm FCR flat slides, Bridgestone slicks, M4 exhaust, Vortex clipons, Woodcraft rearsets, Hot Bodies race bodywork, Factory Pro clutch cover, Total Loss ignition, BRG relocated battery, APE Adjustable Cam sprockets, JE 13:1 pistons, mild porting, balanced crank, Sunoco 110 race fuel

98 KLX331 Race Tech suspension, 331 Stroker big bore kit, 33mm pumper, Tag bars, Stroker exhaust, IMS desert tank, tall seat foam w/ Stroker cover, Open air box, KX clutch
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 11th, 2010, 7:26 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkbait
Why are you going to do the ball joint replacement yourself when you have the extended warranty?
I'd guess that probably because ball joints are a "wear item" and not covered? Sort of like shocks not being covered for being a wear item.

Personally, I don't consider brake fluid a wear item either, but try using an extended warranty claim for that on some servo-assist brake unit that takes a day for them to do.

Mack
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 11th, 2010, 8:43 pm
Enthusiast

Are you sure it it the Ball Joints?

There are a couple of special tools required for the work (surprise) and I am sure they will be inexpensive. <smile>

The work is straight forward, but a PITA.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	K44_S31009a.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	217.9 KB
ID:	12547  
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 12th, 2010, 9:38 am
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMack
I'd guess that probably because ball joints are a "wear item" and not covered? Sort of like shocks not being covered for being a wear item.

Personally, I don't consider brake fluid a wear item either, but try using an extended warranty claim for that on some servo-assist brake unit that takes a day for them to do.

Mack
It's not just a wear item issue. There were batches of bad ball joints out there, search using google. Your dealer/warranty company should step up. Persevere.

2008 K1200GT, Custom Paint, Vivid Black, Aeroflow WS & Aeroguards, Givi E52 Maxia Topcase w/AdMore Lighting, Zumo 660, Suburban Footpeg Lowering, Sargent Seat

2009 R1200GS Adventure, Magnesium Grey/Black, Adventure Cases, Zumo 660, Touratech Unobtanium Accessories

1974 Norton Commando 850 Soon to be a restoration project
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 12th, 2010, 11:06 am
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMack

Mack
I have the extended warranty also yet I still do some stuff myself that would be covered simply for the convenience. I hadn't heard about the ball joints not being replaced under warranty which is why I asked. Did your dealer tell you they weren't covered or did you just assume they weren't?

James

06 K1200R Corbin w/ smuggler, Wilbers shocks, PCIII, Factory Pro Dyno tuned, CC Suspension plates, Vario levers, Dual Evo filters, Leo Vince SBK, V1, Zumo 550

02 WR250F Stock

99 SV650 GSX-R front end, Aftershocks suspension, Penske shock, 41mm FCR flat slides, Bridgestone slicks, M4 exhaust, Vortex clipons, Woodcraft rearsets, Hot Bodies race bodywork, Factory Pro clutch cover, Total Loss ignition, BRG relocated battery, APE Adjustable Cam sprockets, JE 13:1 pistons, mild porting, balanced crank, Sunoco 110 race fuel

98 KLX331 Race Tech suspension, 331 Stroker big bore kit, 33mm pumper, Tag bars, Stroker exhaust, IMS desert tank, tall seat foam w/ Stroker cover, Open air box, KX clutch
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 13th, 2010, 9:15 am Thread Starter
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkbait
Did your dealer tell you they weren't covered or did you just assume they weren't?
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeniciaRT
I sat on them for the 3 months it took to change out a starter clutch and water pump seal...
I'll see how quick I can get the parts and change them. If it is going to, once again, keep me from doing a trip I plan on in two weeks, then I'll see if they cover it. I'd like to be able to enjoy the bike this year!

As to having BMW step up:
At 103,000 it isn't even worth mentioning.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 14th, 2010, 9:58 pm Thread Starter
Addict

I guess I'll find out if the Ext. Warr. will fix it!

9, yep, count 'em: 9 starts later I hit the starter button and it just spins away without engaging anything! This is getting old...
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 14th, 2010, 10:37 pm
Veteran

Well all I'm going to say is sorry cause anything else would be misunderstood as me being negative and bitching. I'm about to ride mine a lot in the next month or so, at least 10k and you guys recently aren't giving me a warm fuzzy feeling.

Hope it works out. Let us know.

'07 GT Sold- 2012 GSA Triple Black - Farkles O'Plenty!

I think I'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe....but I am NOT a Dental Floss Tycoon!
What's with this STUPID Cosmic Door?! ....Going Somewhere?!....Going Somewhere?!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode