How Should I Price It? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old Sep 11th, 2010, 1:04 pm Thread Starter
Enthusiast

How Should I Price It?

How do you folks think I should price my 2009 K1300GT with 8,000 miles and 1 1/2 years of warranty remaining. It will come with the Suburban peg lowering/ handlebar raising kits, a v-stream tall and stock windshield, 28L top case and a few other small accessories. Never dropped and in excellent condition with new tires. All options. I have had the full array of recalls and issues, but supposedly when I get it back from the dealer next week, everything will be working properly (and I won't let it go to someone else if it isn't). I have a payoff of $15,200 at BMWFS so would like to get at least that. What do you think?

Last edited by remphoto; Sep 11th, 2010 at 1:48 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old Sep 11th, 2010, 2:16 pm

I have mine listed too here in the classifieds as 'make an offer' - got none so far, except someone from Craigslist offering me $10k. (ha ha ha).

I have been watching the bikes on ebay (2009 k1300gt) and there is little demand and I see them only get to around $14k before the reserve is not met and the auction ends.

I am in the same predicament I would like to unload and get a decent buck so that I can buy a new car, but looks like I am stuck right now due to no demand and the economy.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old Sep 11th, 2010, 3:12 pm Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by LatrobeDude
I have mine listed too here in the classifieds as 'make an offer' - got none so far, except someone from Craigslist offering me $10k. (ha ha ha).

I have been watching the bikes on ebay (2009 k1300gt) and there is little demand and I see them only get to around $14k before the reserve is not met and the auction ends.

I am in the same predicament I would like to unload and get a decent buck so that I can buy a new car, but looks like I am stuck right now due to no demand and the economy.

I share your pain. I know you have had service issues and had your bike off the road extended periods waiting for it to be fixed, as have I.

I had a couple of dealers offer me $10,000 (non-BMW dealer) to $12,000 (BMW dealer). Another BMW dealer offered me $14,000 for trade on a new Goldwing, but that bike was being discounted, so that was probably over-inflated. He also offered to sell it on contingency for $15,000 net to me (he would obviously sell it for more) but that was dependent on me buying the Goldwing from him. Because they are the dealership I have had all the service issues with, did not want to deal with him on another bike. Hard to believe that a bike with a $23,000 MSRP is worth less than half of that in a year.

I would really like to get it listed on craigslist, cycletrader, online forums, etc.,before the riding season comes to an end, but am still waiting for a couple issues to be completed by another dealer I took it to. Been in there for going on 4 weeks. Combined with the 6 weeks it was off the road earlier in the season, really haven't had much chance to ride it (though had to keep making those sizable monthly payments ). I would be climbing the walls with the dealer and BMWNA, but that has proven useless in the past -- they just don't care about customer satisfaction and are ill-equipped to service these bikes. I have never experienced such frustration as dealing with these incompetent bozos. I am sure there are good dealers, but certainly haven't found one in my part of the world.

So in the interest of my blood-pressure, I just bought a new Yellow Pearl Goldwing and everything is beautiful. Put 2000 miles on it in 3 weeks and not one issue to report. Plus, my wife loves the comfort and I like the low-end torque and light feel when underway.

BTW, may have to change my avatar to the Goldwing Photo as that is my bike actually available to ride.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old Sep 11th, 2010, 11:18 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by remphoto
Hard to believe that a bike with a $23,000 MSRP is worth less than half of that in a year.
Yep. It is disgusting and almost a sin that those bikes depreciate that much in only one year.

I've certainly learned my lesson with BMW bikes and my wife and father kept on telling me that I am tied to the only dealer in my area within 200 miles of me, but I bought it anyways. I figured I could sell it this year and get ~17 or 18k for it and get something else so that I can drive it for a year. It's been at the dealer getting serviced more days than i have been riding. At this point it runs ok but I want to unload it before it has to spend another 3 weeks at the dealer while they "diagonse" it. My other choice was a Yamaha V-Max and that dealer is 2 miles away, not 60 miles each way. Should have just ordered a Yamaha, but hindsight is always 20-20. Bike has been sitting in my garage covered for a month, haven't ridden it.

Not sure I will ever buy another bmw given the service issues and severe depreciation.

I will have a hard time even getting $14k on a one year old bike with 4,800 miles in perfect condition. All you need to do is watch MaxBMW's auctions on ebay and see none of them reaching the reserve. This is all very upsetting, So I am stuck with an expensive paperweight in my garage that I really don't want to ride anymore and I can't trade it in on anything or I will get hosed and OWE more than I have on the loan.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old Sep 12th, 2010, 12:10 am Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Again I sympathize with you LD. The bike I started out loving I now can't stand to look at. Makes my stomach ache when I see it or think of the royal screwing by bmw to build such an unreliable pos and then not stand behind it. Premium brand? That's all perception. What good are the bells and whistles if it spends more time in the shop than on the road. And once the warranty is gone it is bound to get even worse - crawling on hands and knees to bmwna begging for hidden warranty support for some flimsy camdrive or FD.

I've been one of the most brand loyal bmw owners I know having bought many of their cars and bikes. But this experience has soured me on the brand and will never buy their product again. I know there are people on here who have had better experiences. Good for you. But you need to hear the other side of life when it goes bad. For those considering your first bmw, go in with your eyes open. If you have a good, nearby dealer who will fight for you with bmwna and a backup bike for the weeks you may be waiting on parts or diagnosis, that's positive. Otherwise you are playing Russian roulette with a 6-shooter and 5 cartridges chambered.

Excuse me now whlle I go take my blood pressure medicine.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old Sep 12th, 2010, 1:44 am
Addict

i paid eur8.000 + 2008 gt/ 20,000km for 2010 rt, both fully loaded to local dealer.

2010 R1200RT
2009 X6
2010 X1
former and future k owner
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old Sep 12th, 2010, 9:57 am
Addict-oholic

Sorry to hear about your bikes and all the problems.
I have a 2009 and only had the stalling issue which was resolved with the software upgrade. Ilove my bike and enjoy riding it whenever I can.

Now, if the dealer can fix my 2 high end Viking dishwashers, both not working properly out of the box.They are consecutively serial numbered and they have been to my house 3 times. one is finally working and I am expecting them to either fix it or give me a new machine.

I had this happen in a car and I finally got a new one.

if you guys persevere and invoke your lemon law rights, you may get somewhere...

Larry
Deep Blue 2009 K1300GT
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old Sep 12th, 2010, 10:35 am
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by LatrobeDude
Yep. It is disgusting and almost a sin that those bikes depreciate that much in only one year.

I've certainly learned my lesson with BMW bikes and my wife and father kept on telling me that I am tied to the only dealer in my area within 200 miles of me, but I bought it anyways. I figured I could sell it this year and get ~17 or 18k for it and get something else so that I can drive it for a year. It's been at the dealer getting serviced more days than i have been riding. At this point it runs ok but I want to unload it before it has to spend another 3 weeks at the dealer while they "diagonse" it. My other choice was a Yamaha V-Max and that dealer is 2 miles away, not 60 miles each way. Should have just ordered a Yamaha, but hindsight is always 20-20. Bike has been sitting in my garage covered for a month, haven't ridden it.

Not sure I will ever buy another bmw given the service issues and severe depreciation.

I will have a hard time even getting $14k on a one year old bike with 4,800 miles in perfect condition. All you need to do is watch MaxBMW's auctions on ebay and see none of them reaching the reserve. This is all very upsetting, So I am stuck with an expensive paperweight in my garage that I really don't want to ride anymore and I can't trade it in on anything or I will get hosed and OWE more than I have on the loan.
I don't understand why, if you" have a a one year old bike with 4800 miles in perfect condition" in your garage you ARE NOT RIDING IT??? Sounds to me like you may have other issues keeping you from riding. Do you own another bike you like to ride, and are you riding that bike? Sure, you've had and have concerns about BMW, but are you a rider or a whiner.

2008 K1200GT, Custom Paint, Vivid Black, Aeroflow WS & Aeroguards, Givi E52 Maxia Topcase w/AdMore Lighting, Zumo 660, Suburban Footpeg Lowering, Sargent Seat

2009 R1200GS Adventure, Magnesium Grey/Black, Adventure Cases, Zumo 660, Touratech Unobtanium Accessories

1974 Norton Commando 850 Soon to be a restoration project
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old Sep 12th, 2010, 10:44 am Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrykay
Sorry to hear about your bikes and all the problems.
I have a 2009 and only had the stalling issue which was resolved with the software upgrade. Ilove my bike and enjoy riding it whenever I can.

Now, if the dealer can fix my 2 high end Viking dishwashers, both not working properly out of the box.They are consecutively serial numbered and they have been to my house 3 times. one is finally working and I am expecting them to either fix it or give me a new machine.

I had this happen in a car and I finally got a new one.

if you guys persevere and invoke your lemon law rights, you may get somewhere...
Thanks Larry. I've been there and done that with BMWNA to no avail. They are masters at stalling and playing the legal game. even though the right thing to do is quite clear. Hope no one else ever have to go up against them. Their pocket are deeper than mine and they are masters at stonewalling ("a delay is victory" in legal parlance).

Why NA doesn't do the right thing and try to accommodate long time, loyal customers is beyond me. Dissatisfied customers have surely cost them more sales than then would get by stepping up and assuming responsibility for an inferior product. I suspect they are deluged with these types of claims and don't want to spend the money.

I'll admit it, they have broken me and all I want to do is get the thing out of my garage (once I get it back in the garage from its most recent stay at the shop). Everything "should" be OK on the bike, but I cannot stand to look at it as all joy of K13GT ownership was deprived by this process. Thanks BMWNA for being a class-less act.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old Sep 12th, 2010, 8:27 pm
Veteran

Hey Rem. All I can come up with reading this thread is welcome to my life!

Seriously though. I completely feel your pain. It sucks, and yeah I was pissed as hell. Still am but just decided there's more to life than trying to fight it. I'll never get the $$$ out of the bike that I have put into it. Never even close. So I just chalked it up to life and keep riding it. And I'm becoming a much better mechanic for it! Thought about a GW several times and maybe some day. But for now it just doesn't do it for me. Good luck with yours.

I loath BMW NA and their customer service. But I love my bike. (when it runs) I still think there's a good chunk of change to be made if some hot shot lawyer wanted to start a class action against them. Any one? I'll be the first to sign up. Really!

'07 GT Sold- 2012 GSA Triple Black - Farkles O'Plenty!

I think I'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe....but I am NOT a Dental Floss Tycoon!
What's with this STUPID Cosmic Door?! ....Going Somewhere?!....Going Somewhere?!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode