Good news... - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 11th, 2010, 9:40 pm Thread Starter
KJG

Good news...

I haven't been a member of this board for very long. I'm on my second motorcycle in almost 25 years. To be honest, I don't know a lot about motorcycles. I believe that my job is to check the tire pressure, put gas in it when it's in need, give it a bath and ride it.

I bought my 2007 K1200GT because I loved it's appearance, it was fast and the blue color spoke to me. I also had heard about the BMW reputation for making quality machines that lasted a long time. I knew that when I bought mine, I would be keeping it for a long time. I considered the K1200S, but I thought I would get too many tickets.

I've had it for three years and I just surpassed the 60,000 mark. Yes, I love to ride. On average, I get it serviced three times a year and I change tires about twice a year. It is costing me more than I thought it would, but the reward is certainly worth it.

Most of the posts on this board are about problems that people are having or have had with their bikes. I just wanted to say that I've encountered no major issues with my bike. It hasn't broken down, nothing has fallen off and it's just as stock as the day I took delivery. I've been to three different shops for service (Marin BMW, BMW of San Francisco and CalMoto in Mountain View). All have been great.

I use my bike almost every day (the luxury of living in the San Francisco Bay Area). I don't ride in the rain unless I get caught in it. I've down daily commuting in heavy traffic. I've taken my bike on a nine day ride from San Francisco to Phoenix and back and had a great time. I can honestly say that around Flagstaff, I was getting 51 mpg with the cruise control set to 80. I am a member of the AIDS/Lifecycle motorcycle safety team where I add another 1000+ miles on the odometer every June.

I guess what I'm saying is that ever since I've owned this machine, I've had nothing but the best experiences. I might be lucky or I might be tempting fate, but to BMW, I say, Thank You! I certainly plan to crack 100,000 miles and hopefully many more on this bike.

Ken
[email protected]

1982 Yamaha Vision
2007 BMW K1200GT
2009 BMW K1300GT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 11th, 2010, 9:52 pm
Veteran

Glad you're having good luck and enjoying your machine. I wish you the best of luck with it. Kind of gives me hope that now that mine is "fixed"...again.....that I'll be able to put some serious mileage on it with out issue.

But I'll bet you a beer that you don't get to 100k miles without something major happening.

'07 GT Sold- 2012 GSA Triple Black - Farkles O'Plenty!

I think I'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe....but I am NOT a Dental Floss Tycoon!
What's with this STUPID Cosmic Door?! ....Going Somewhere?!....Going Somewhere?!

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 12th, 2010, 9:28 am Thread Starter
KJG

You might be right. But I'm going keep the faith that she'll run and run and run. But rest assured, if I do have something major happen, I'll certainly be letting you all know what it was and how it was handled.

Ken
[email protected]

1982 Yamaha Vision
2007 BMW K1200GT
2009 BMW K1300GT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 13th, 2010, 12:37 pm

KJG, great news and hope you enjoy that cold Guiness from Robert.

I only have 18K miles on my 2007 GT, commuting everyday save for rain and snow. Haven't had a single issue that hasn't been corrected when serviced.

Wonder how large the silent problem free community is?

Terry

2007 K1200 GT
1998 R1100 RT traded in
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 13th, 2010, 7:11 pm

Keep the faith it will keep on running! I salute you on your positive notes about the K1200GT you own. I myself is on 16K and no major problem at all. Just regular maintenance.

2006 K1200GT
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 13th, 2010, 8:02 pm
IBR# 366

Quote:
Originally Posted by MdTbone
I only have 18K miles on my 2007 GT, commuting everyday save for rain and snow. Haven't had a single issue that hasn't been corrected when serviced.
That's awesome. Wanna trade?

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 60K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#145, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 14th, 2010, 9:33 am
Enthusiast

I hesitate to weigh in here, but after years on this forum, I feel like I must add my two cents as the forum has been invaluable in many respects:

I had a lemon '07 and BMWNA did step up to the plate. I now have an '08 that has had it's share of problems...but again, those were addressed under warranty. I know and have shared the frustration that some of us have had to endure. I know it helps to have a place to vent and get some understanding and support.

I also have noticed that since Grif has gone, and since Robert_W's very heavily viewed post about his problems, that there does seem to be a growing gloominess on the forum. This has nothing to do w/ Robert's post per se. I think it is a positive development that we should all join in and support, for all of us to try and post more positive reports and ride stories. Those who have problems should not stop reporting them and getting support here, but to balance that out and not let this forum become overly negative, we should all make the effort to post some positive stories, tech tips, etc.

I just did a four day circle around Colorado w/ a buddy, bagging more passes than I can remember. I had a wonderful ride and it was made even more wonderful because I did it on my GT. I have not ridden another bike that could allow me to do 400 miles a day, comfortably!, and still attack the twisties with utter confidence. I had no issues of any sort with the bike and it made my life better for having been able to get the hell out of my daily life and go riding.

A few years ago I was riding the same areas and had my tranny give up 5th gear. I figured out a way to finish the trip by going from 4th to 6th and back for a few days.
PITA...yes!!!! But as my ex-father in law used to say: "Don't let her ruin your day".

So I guess, IMHO, we all should try to accent the positive, and support those who are having a rough go with their bikes or dealing w/ BMWNA, but we should also try and remember that riding is an opportunity to enrich our lives and that to a large degree we exert control over how we let obstacles effect the quality of that.

And I will be the first to bitch when this bike starts having more problems....

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 14th, 2010, 12:15 pm
Addict

I'll bitch too when the problems start and then fix 'em.

Anothe one here singing the praises of this bike.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 14th, 2010, 12:24 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidS
I think it is a positive development that we should all join in and support, for all of us to try and post more positive reports and ride stories. .

I'm happy, but I don't want to jinx myself by gloating.

Un-used mirror hole mounting posts AVAILABLE

Check it out here!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode