Iron Butt - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old Sep 12th, 2010, 10:52 pm Thread Starter
Rookie

Iron Butt

Getting ready to do a Saddle Sore 1000 in a couple of weeks and wanted to know if anyone out there has done one.

I've looked at the Iron Butt Assoc website, on their recommendations/advice, but would like some input from this site.

I have an 07 K12 with approx. 11K on the clock. I'm going to do the 12K service before going on the trip, but is there anything I need to pay particular attention to? Any advice?

Yes, I know I'm crazy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old Sep 12th, 2010, 11:10 pm

I would guess that Meese has done a few dozen, maybe even a hundred of them )

I will let him chime in but lots of people have done them and Meese does them weekly I think.
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old Sep 12th, 2010, 11:23 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglefrq
.....I've looked at the Iron Butt Assoc website, on their recommendations/advice, but would like some input from this site.

I have an 07 K12 with approx. 11K on the clock. I'm going to do the 12K service before going on the trip, but is there anything I need to pay particular attention to? Any advice.......
Yup....carry an extra final drive, cam tensoiner, cam chain, sprocket, a few valves / seats / guides and shims, asst gaskets and seal....clutch pack / basket, towing rig with trailer and a full tool compliment. ...2 towing / emergency roadside assistance programs....extra water....and a few days extra vacation time.....etc etc....

You'll do just fine.

'07 GT Sold- 2012 GSA Triple Black - Farkles O'Plenty!

I think I'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe....but I am NOT a Dental Floss Tycoon!
What's with this STUPID Cosmic Door?! ....Going Somewhere?!....Going Somewhere?!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old Sep 12th, 2010, 11:29 pm Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_W
Yup....carry an extra final drive, cam tensoiner, cam chain, sprocket, a few valves / seats / guides and shims, asst gaskets and seal....clutch pack / basket, towing rig with trailer and a full tool compliment. ...2 towing / emergency roadside assistance programs....extra water....and a few days extra vacation time.....etc etc....

You'll do just fine.
AWESOME! I thought I might need to trailer an extra bike or something. I can fit all that stuff in my cases.
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old Sep 12th, 2010, 11:56 pm
Veteran

Nah....no need to tow another....you could go the chase vehicle route instead......pretty soon it'll be as common as it is with the rental HD crowd. I can see it now. Throngs of Euro visitors headed to the great American west to rent the BMW of their dreams. Death Valley.....Yosemite.....Grand Canyon.....Zion.....Glacier.....Yellowstone..... endless roads......followed by the entourage of chase vehicles......no wait.....that's what I used to see with other brands!

Sorry.....ummm .....just depends on how adventurous you want to get !

'07 GT Sold- 2012 GSA Triple Black - Farkles O'Plenty!

I think I'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe....but I am NOT a Dental Floss Tycoon!
What's with this STUPID Cosmic Door?! ....Going Somewhere?!....Going Somewhere?!

post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old Sep 13th, 2010, 1:52 am
IBR# 366

Yeah, I've done a few of them . . .

Basically, be prepared, have a good route chosen, watch for boredom and fatigue, and remember to have fun.

1,000 miles can be done in around 15 hours if you're very efficient and ride good, open roads. Add a few hours for slower roads, traffic, and more stops to stretch and relax. Holding a 60 mph average speed will get the job done in a little over 17 hours with fuel stops, and maybe 18 hours if you dawdle some or add extra stops. Easily doable by most folks if they set their minds to it.

Read through this thread for much more detailed advice. Then let us know if you have any more questions.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 60K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#145, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...

Last edited by Meese; Sep 13th, 2010 at 1:57 am.
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old Sep 13th, 2010, 1:17 pm Thread Starter
Rookie

Thanx to everyone for your advice and a big shout out to Meese and XMR for the thread advice and willingness to help.

Here is the route I have planned. If you would look over it and make any suggestions I would appreciate it. Most of the route is planned for the interstates. I'm planning on the ride with a friend, he's on a HD Road Glide Ultra.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sour...,10.821533&z=7
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old Sep 13th, 2010, 2:09 pm
IBR# 366

Looks like a decent route. Just make sure you get receipts at every "corner" point, to prove that you didn't take a diagonal shortcut road, or that you took a longer loop road around a city instead of going straight through. That would probably be Sandston (by the airport), Dortches, Greensboro, Clyde, Dandridge/White Pine, and Strasburg. Those don't have to be fuel (food or an ATM counts), but they do help prove that you rode the entire route as submitted.

Also, while it may be convenient to start from home, that isn't strictly necessary. Nor is it necessary to start and end in the same place. You could ride straight to the interstate, get a good receipt there, and use that as your official starting time. Then make your loop and stop again wherever it's convenient to get an ending receipt. That might save you from getting start/ending receipts in King George, then also getting corner receipts in Falmouth and Ruther Glen to prove that little detour.

As for your riding buddy, sometimes it does help to share this type of ride with a friend. But make sure that you're in synch here. Verify what is a comfortable fuel range, and what is expected at stops. It can be rather frustrating if you're fueled up and ready to go, and he's lighting his third cigarette . . .

Also, have a plan in case someone breaks down or just gets tired and wants to drop out. Do you stick with your buddy and scrap the ride, or do you agree to split up and head out separately (assuming that everyone is safe and not stranded, that is). Either way works, just make sure you discuss it beforehand so there's no confusion.

Other than that, have fun!

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 60K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#145, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old Sep 13th, 2010, 6:26 pm Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meese
Looks like a decent route. Just make sure you get receipts at every "corner" point, to prove that you didn't take a diagonal shortcut road, or that you took a longer loop road around a city instead of going straight through. That would probably be Sandston (by the airport), Dortches, Greensboro, Clyde, Dandridge/White Pine, and Strasburg. Those don't have to be fuel (food or an ATM counts), but they do help prove that you rode the entire route as submitted.

Also, while it may be convenient to start from home, that isn't strictly necessary. Nor is it necessary to start and end in the same place. You could ride straight to the interstate, get a good receipt there, and use that as your official starting time. Then make your loop and stop again wherever it's convenient to get an ending receipt. That might save you from getting start/ending receipts in King George, then also getting corner receipts in Falmouth and Ruther Glen to prove that little detour.

As for your riding buddy, sometimes it does help to share this type of ride with a friend. But make sure that you're in synch here. Verify what is a comfortable fuel range, and what is expected at stops. It can be rather frustrating if you're fueled up and ready to go, and he's lighting his third cigarette . . .

Also, have a plan in case someone breaks down or just gets tired and wants to drop out. Do you stick with your buddy and scrap the ride, or do you agree to split up and head out separately (assuming that everyone is safe and not stranded, that is). Either way works, just make sure you discuss it beforehand so there's no confusion.

Other than that, have fun!
Thanks again for the advice. We are starting in King George, because that is about equal distance between his house and mine.
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old Sep 14th, 2010, 11:56 am
Noob

When we did our SS1000, I rode about 1080 miles to make sure I had plenty of miles. We made sure we stopped for about 10 minutes every 150 miles or so. We had a group of 4 bikes total. It was manageable, but we did end up splitting at the final stop as one person needed a little longer break and stopped for a full meal.

If I was going to do it again, I'd make a second plan to ride the extra 500 (0r 420 in my case) miles after sleeping to get the 1500 too.

I think the weather is most important. Check the forecast, and if it doesn't look good, I'd re-think the run. While 1000 miles isn't bad, 1000 miles in rain/wind sucks.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode