My K12GT is Great! - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old Sep 13th, 2010, 9:27 am Thread Starter
Addict

My K12GT is Great!

I have a 2008 K1200GT. I love this bike. Every time I take it out it amazes me. It has never given me one problem in 6,000 miles of use. I do all my own maintenance, and am about to bleed my brakes later today. The bike is paid for and has one year left on warranty. I put some bucks aside for when/if something fails. I don't worry about what the bike will sell for, when it wears out, or I get tired of it I will sell it and get something else, or ride it until it or I die. If it blows up in the desert, I'll try to get BMW to fix it, or I'll get it fixed myself. If I cannot I will get rid of it and move on to another bike. This bike is an extremely high performance grand touring machine, not a boring commuter bike, and as such one must expect high maintenance and operating costs, and yes, potentially, failures. That is the nature of the beast. If you want ultimate low cost, reliability and boredom get a Honda-Yama-Zuki. You should know this before you buy because you did the research.

This weekend I realized that, at 61 years of age this thing is keeping me young.

I also ride a R1200GS Adventure. 12,000 miles. One problem with clutch slave, repaired in one day by a great dealer while on a 6800 mile cross country, at no cost to me.

These are great bikes, and I wish this forum would go back to talking about riding and wrenching, as the recent overload of complainers has made this a depressing place. YMMV.

2008 K1200GT, Custom Paint, Vivid Black, Aeroflow WS & Aeroguards, Givi E52 Maxia Topcase w/AdMore Lighting, Zumo 660, Suburban Footpeg Lowering, Sargent Seat

2009 R1200GS Adventure, Magnesium Grey/Black, Adventure Cases, Zumo 660, Touratech Unobtanium Accessories

1974 Norton Commando 850 Soon to be a restoration project
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old Sep 13th, 2010, 10:17 am
Veteran

Well I for one.....as one of the king bitchers here....do truly wish you all the best with your machine.

But 6000 miles? Some of us do that kind of mileage in one trip! I'd be surprised if you come back with the same sentiments at 60,000 miles.

BTW.....this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhendrick
"and as such one must expect high maintenance and operating costs, and yes, potentially, failures. That is the nature of the beast"
Is just SO wrong. It's a sad state of affairs when we the consumer EXPECT to bend over and grab our ankles from the get go. Especially given the cost of the bikes in the first place! Jesus dude. Why not just hand them the money and walk out of the dealer with nothing? Because for a lot of us that scenario isn't too far off. In the 9 months of this year my bike was out of service sitting at a dealer while I made payments for almost 6 of them. Stellar return on the investment and enjoyment factor.

'07 GT Sold- 2012 GSA Triple Black - Farkles O'Plenty!

I think I'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe....but I am NOT a Dental Floss Tycoon!
What's with this STUPID Cosmic Door?! ....Going Somewhere?!....Going Somewhere?!

Last edited by Robert_W; Sep 13th, 2010 at 10:28 am.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old Sep 13th, 2010, 12:41 pm

Best bike I've had yet

Hey lhendrick,
Was thinking the same thing last night after a spirited ride up a local twisty road. Only this time we were two-up with my wife on board. No fiddling with adjustments, just push the ESA button, dial up two-up and Sport and we're off. There was nothing on the road that tried to keep up with us at the frequent triple digit speeds. Never once did did the GT feel at all out of sorts doing two-up or ask to slow down (wife might have...) I was amazed too.

Its been the same since I got the GT in July 2007 and did a 370 mile break-in run to Valdez for dinner. That ride has lots of twisty up/down, on/off camber corners, pavement ripples, bumps, lonely straight-aways, two mountain passes and a pounding rain storm, I arrived in Valdez breathless at the ride I had just done and how effortless it handled whatever the road threw at me. I've done that same ride on all the sport and touring bikes I have/had going back to the 80's and this was the best, hands down, no competition. Sure a full-on crotch rocket could have done it faster, but not much and I'd have been a lot more tired at the end. Been there, done that.

And every ride between then and now has been the same. (Oh and age 60 is just around the corner, hope to be riding this bike or something even better for a long time!)

BTW, for those who for regularly do two-up (I don't since wife has her own bike), I have the Aeroflow windshield setup and she mentioned that the air pocket was non-turbulent and quiet. (well, noise did increase past 100...but was still non-turbulent for both of us.)

Anyway no probs so far at 12k miles and with a variety of road surfaces. Rode to Dawson City, Yukon Territories this summer which included a couple hundred miles of dirt/gravel mix and the GT handled it fine. The GS is definitely the better bike for that type of surface but don't have a dual sport bike at the moment. have to fix that one of these days.

2016 R1200 GSA, 2007 K1200 GT, 1981 CBX, 1975 Norton, 1968 Moto Guzzi
The Banks Tour - Fair to Outer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old Sep 13th, 2010, 1:23 pm Thread Starter
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_W
Well I for one.....as one of the king bitchers here....do truly wish you all the best with your machine.

But 6000 miles? Some of us do that kind of mileage in one trip! I'd be surprised if you come back with the same sentiments at 60,000 miles.

BTW.....this:

Is just SO wrong. It's a sad state of affairs when we the consumer EXPECT to bend over and grab our ankles from the get go. Especially given the cost of the bikes in the first place! Jesus dude. Why not just hand them the money and walk out of the dealer with nothing? Because for a lot of us that scenario isn't too far off. In the 9 months of this year my bike was out of service sitting at a dealer while I made payments for almost 6 of them. Stellar return on the investment and enjoyment factor.
OK, I've also had LT's with 50,000 collective miles and another GT with 18K miles with no issues until I crashed it. No issues with either of those bikes....

I'm sorry your luck is so bad, but was just tired of seeing your repetitive negative posts tacked on to every post here and thought we should hear the other side.

I love this bike, and I have loved all my BMW's. Just ride.

2008 K1200GT, Custom Paint, Vivid Black, Aeroflow WS & Aeroguards, Givi E52 Maxia Topcase w/AdMore Lighting, Zumo 660, Suburban Footpeg Lowering, Sargent Seat

2009 R1200GS Adventure, Magnesium Grey/Black, Adventure Cases, Zumo 660, Touratech Unobtanium Accessories

1974 Norton Commando 850 Soon to be a restoration project

Last edited by Meese; Sep 13th, 2010 at 1:47 pm. Reason: fixed quote tags
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old Sep 13th, 2010, 1:37 pm

I work for a living so I can't do 6,000 mile trips on a regular basis, so for me the GT is my daily driver to work, only 20 miles but its daily, rain or shine. I do have several cars for the really bad days but being in S. Calif. I can go the entire year without driving a car, my wife or daughter drive them to keep them charged.

Dealer is 70 miles away. Got the GT on a Saturday and quickly put the 600 miles on it for the oil change, took a day off work and took the bike in at 600 and they also updated the software, got the <!> warning. Next week took another day off work so they could fix the <!>, nope not fixed. 3 weeks into brand new bike ownership, I go out in the morning and it won't start, take a car to work, get home and find the battery is dead, wont hold a charge even on the workbench, talk to BMW and my dealer says of course he will put a battery in it on warranty if I get the bike there but he recommends I buy a Odyssey anyway so I do, ended up driving the car 4 days total, back on the bike. About 3 weeks later, dealer asks if I can bring the bike in to fix <!>, so another day off work, nope still not fixed. Very next week I get the recall for the switches, another day off work. About 6 weeks later, ESA stops working, another day off work and dealer fixes it and tries one more time to fix <!>, nope still there, I now have have 3,000 miles on the bike and since the <!> is always on I check the oil as its been about 1,000 miles since I checked it, oops low on oil (still above MIN but barely), bike is now burning a little less than a quart every 1,000 miles, another day off so dealer can poke around the bike. On the way home, ESA not working again luckily its a holiday weekend so no day off work and dealer once again fixes it by hooking it up to computer, claims there are no error codes but a reset fixes it. Last week the light warning on the dash, burned out taillight bulb at only 5 months old.

Still driving with <!> on the dash.

5 months, 4,500 miles, 5 days off work driving a very boring 70 miles to the dealer, absolutely nothing major bad, nothing major wrong, but certainly not what I expected from BMW. My last bike was a Victory, 2 years, 18,000 miles, it went to the dealer twice, once for its initial oil change and 200 miles later for a bad fuel pump, this BMW has been to the dealer way many more times.

Do I still love the bike ? ABSOLUTELY, the bike just feels planted and stuck to the road, it just inspires confidence on the road (hopefully not OVER confidence ) I really believe what I have read here many times, when it works there is nothing that comes close to being as perfect as this bike. Will I get rid of it before the warranty is up ? hell no, will I keep it beyond the warranty period ? most likely not and certainly not if it does not stop going to the dealer for little things (or big things). Will I get another BMW ? most likely not, I think the K16GT will be to big and too heavy for daily driving and it will still be a BMW but I have 2 more years of warranty to see how it comes out. Right now, my next bike is a Triumph 1050 Sprint GT but even that is not out yet, it looks good in pics but not sat on one yet and I still have 2 awesome years left with my K13GT under warranty.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old Sep 13th, 2010, 2:29 pm
Veteran

mikeyr:
Man! Sounds like you bought Robert's twin.

I know how the shop time goes. My GT was very bad for it too. Seems to be all better now, expect I did notice it wandered a bit after reading that post by someone about the ball joint being bad. I need to check that and hope it was just the road or wind.

That said, I thought I would never buy another BMW as well. Somehow they suck you back in with their technology, or they do something so different you just have to have it. I ended up buying an S1000RR and it has been 99% problem free (it stalled once on me while lane splitting requiring me to turn the key off and back on to get a restart. ). Still, it's a total hoot to ride and the weight savings is a dream. If you think the GT is fast, you're wrong!

I've had people tell me "You're too damn old to be riding a kid's crotch rocket." - or they have that look in their eye that tells me that's what they are thinking. I just tell them that "My Rascal 655 is too slow to get me to the drug store by closing. Plus, the better the drugs, the faster the S1000RR goes to get them." Usually shuts them up.

My Rascal 655 with a top speed of 8 MPH.

My S1000RR with a top speed of 192 MPH (GPS).

Ride on.

Mack
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old Sep 13th, 2010, 3:06 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhendrick
OK, I've also had LT's with 50,000 collective miles and another GT with 18K miles with no issues until I crashed it. No issues with either of those bikes....

I'm sorry your luck is so bad, but was just tired of seeing your repetitive negative posts tacked on to every post here and thought we should hear the other side.

I love this bike, and I have loved all my BMW's. Just ride.
Ok....I have stayed silent for way too long on this one. I totally second the quote above. The same old same old coming from a long tme member is dragging this forum down big time. I am having a real hard time coming to the belief that this fellows problem is all the fault of the bike. and if it really is, which I highly doubt, buy something else, move along and get over it for crying out loud.
I was always of the belief that this forum was for the sharing of information, good and bad, ride tails and stories. The only way this site will survive and work is to share information in a fashion that benifits everyone on it. The constant moaning and groaning of one dissatified customer does little to promote our riders community we call K Bikes.
So if this is printed without edit... ..maybe others can chime in, but really, I think that some people get what they get sometimes by doing what they do, and to blame something/someone/else continually, is getting a little stale.
my .02

kbikeinbc
07 crystal grey met
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old Sep 13th, 2010, 4:14 pm
IBR# 366

I'm honestly glad for y'all that have had problem-free rides. Seriously, good for you. Whether you've ridden 6,000 miles or 60,000, if you're still in love with the bike, that's awesome.

But that sure isn't every one of us, not by a long shot.

Forums like this tend to bring out folks who have had problems, whether they're looking for advice, or just need to vent. And very few folks will bother typing up that their bikes are just great, with no problems at all. That's just human nature.

But the fact remains that significant problems do exist on these bikes, far beyond what should be considered normal or acceptable. Some of those problems can be attributed to poor design choices, some to poor assembly procedures, some to incompetent dealers, and yes, even some to user error.

But regardless of the source, those of us that get stuck with these problems, and that try and work with BMW towards proper resolutions, find it fairly frustrating and a bit condescending to hear "My bike works just great, so there must be something wrong with all of you."

So if your bike works great and is everything that you expected it to be, then I'm glad for you. But please don't assume that anyone who feels different must automatically be the cause of their own problems.

All the stories here, both good and bad, contribute to what makes this site so great. It is, quite simply, the single best place that we can come to for honest and complete knowledge about these bikes that have so enamored us, warts and all.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 60K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#145, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old Sep 13th, 2010, 4:35 pm
Veteran

You know, ....if you really think that all I'm doing is griping about this machine than you haven't read much of what I post here. Take some time and read a bit and you'd see differently. All some of you guys want to see is the negative. So be it.

I've posted numerous times to the positive side of this machine. And numerous times to help out with mechanical issues, upgrades, farkles, tires, reviews on products etc. All to the positive.

Take my jabbing and posting shots at BMWNA with a grain of salt gentlemen. I'm the one still trying to keep my bike alive and riding it without bailing on the thing. That ought to say something. Maybe you've got $$$ to burn and maybe you expect to pay out the wazoo but I don't.

Also, when another rider comes on here.......without any urging.....and posts about the many problems and issues that they have been having with their machines, BMWNA, dealers, etc etc....and they're ready to give up the their bike....I'm going to chime in with some support for that individual. I am FAR from alone on this board when it comes to issues with this machine. I may be more vocal about it, but too freaking bad. If you are one of the people dealing with a blown engine, clutch, brake, switch, etc etc....and your dealer is screwing you over....and your bike is sitting for months on end broken....and BMWNA won't work with you....then it's nice to know you're not alone and some one else has gone through the same crap. Hopefully through sharing some info we can help each other out a little bit.

And one more thing........ if you truly believe that the issues that I have had with my machine are self created? Holy shit......just no way to respond to that at all.

I think I'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe....but I am NOT a Dental Floss Tycoon!
What's with this STUPID Cosmic Door?! ....Going Somewhere?!....Going Somewhere?!

post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old Sep 13th, 2010, 4:40 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meese
I'm honestly glad for y'all that have had problem-free rides. Seriously, good for you. Whether you've ridden 6,000 miles or 60,000, if you're still in love with the bike, that's awesome.

But that sure isn't every one of us, not by a long shot.

Forums like this tend to bring out folks who have had problems, whether they're looking for advice, or just need to vent. And very few folks will bother typing up that their bikes are just great, with no problems at all. That's just human nature.

But the fact remains that significant problems do exist on these bikes, far beyond what should be considered normal or acceptable. Some of those problems can be attributed to poor design choices, some to poor assembly procedures, some to incompetent dealers, and yes, even some to user error.

But regardless of the source, those of us that get stuck with these problems, and that try and work with BMW towards proper resolutions, find it fairly frustrating and a bit condescending to hear "My bike works just great, so there must be something wrong with all of you."

So if your bike works great and is everything that you expected it to be, then I'm glad for you. But please don't assume that anyone who feels different must automatically be the cause of their own problems.

All the stories here, both good and bad, contribute to what makes this site so great. It is, quite simply, the single best place that we can come to for honest and complete knowledge about these bikes that have so enamored us, warts and all.
I knew I liked you for a reason.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode