New to this forum - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Sep 14th, 2010, 9:47 am Thread Starter
Noob

New to this forum

Well I am new to this forum but not to BMW. I have had 3 BMW'S in the past 5 years. A 99 1100 RT, A 2006 1200 RT and a 2001 LT. Then I left this spring and went to a Yamaha FJR 1300. Well made bike but the handling was not quite as good as the BMW's and I could never get comfortable on the thing.

I live here in Texas and the FJR cooks you in anything over 85 degrees, the engine gets extremely hot and blows it all on ones legs.

My new ride is an 08 1200 GT with 8,200 miles on the odo. I managed what seems to be a good price $10,700. My hope is that this bike gives me as much pleasure as my past Beemers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Sep 14th, 2010, 11:28 am
Veteran

Welcome and enjoy the ride. I hope it brings you many miles of pleasure. You've got some great riding in your neck of the woods. I've got family in Austin and love the hill country area. I'll be down there in a month or so exploring as many small town BBQ joints as possible!

'07 GT Sold- 2012 GSA Triple Black - Farkles O'Plenty!

I think I'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe....but I am NOT a Dental Floss Tycoon!
What's with this STUPID Cosmic Door?! ....Going Somewhere?!....Going Somewhere?!

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Sep 14th, 2010, 12:00 pm Thread Starter
Noob

New to this forum

When you come down you should take time and head out to Big Bend, 500 mile ride but really worth it. Open roads and hardly any vehicles.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Sep 14th, 2010, 12:17 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by madone59
When you come down you should take time and head out to Big Bend, 500 mile ride but really worth it. Open roads and hardly any vehicles.
Yeah, been there done that quite a few times and love it. Ft Davis, Alpine and such are all generally on the list when I head that way. And there's several thousand miles of great roads between here and there too. There's a pizza joint across from the Harvard Hotel that's really good, and ice cream joint down the road and the Limpia Hotel right across the road has the best home made biscuits ever! What more could a guy want?

I think I'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe....but I am NOT a Dental Floss Tycoon!
What's with this STUPID Cosmic Door?! ....Going Somewhere?!....Going Somewhere?!

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Sep 14th, 2010, 12:44 pm Thread Starter
Noob

New to this forum

I think you mean the Holland Hotel. Great place to stay, one of these days I want their penthouse room, sit back enjoy the hot tub and have a cigar.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Sep 14th, 2010, 6:35 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by madone59
I think you mean the Holland Hotel. Great place to stay, one of these days I want their penthouse room, sit back enjoy the hot tub and have a cigar.
Nope....this place: Harvard Hotel Fort Davis

Middle of now where, comfy, bike friendly, good breakfast next door, great place to stay. Beats Alpine IMO. Much quieter and great access to Big Bend, the road around McDonald Observatory....which is one of the best bike roads in west TX....and Ft Davis is up in altitude so it's generally 10 degrees cooler.

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Sep 15th, 2010, 2:16 pm Thread Starter
Noob

new to this forum

I stayed at the Limpia last year. I was there for a different kind of bike ride. Did a 75 mile bicycle ride which was not to difficult until you got to Bear Mountain, hard climb. The altitude was nice it kept it cool and comfy.

I plan on going out that way in Early October,may look into the Harvard.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode