Ergonomics - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 15th, 2010, 10:41 pm Thread Starter
Addict

Ergonomics

Shortly after I bought my 08 GT I adjusted the handlebars as low as they would go, on the theory that this would be more sporty, and would also reduce turbulence off the windscreen.

After that I bought an Aeroflow Windscreen and Aeroguards and turbulence and noise were greatly reduced. Nice

Next, I bought into the group Russell Day Long Seat buy. I have to admit I was not crazy about the Russell results, as the "wings" dug into my legs when stopped, and I seemed to be sitting on the front end of the seat and out of the tractor seat bucket that they are so famous for. I soldiered on thinking I would get used to it, but started riding with the Sargent seat that came with my bike, and that seat looked cool but was not much better than stock.

Today, after finishing my 6K service and some rewiring of farkles, I noticed the low handlebar position, and realized I had left it at the lowest setting. After riding my GS almost exclusively this Summer, I noticed when riding the GT that there was too much weight on my wrists and the bike was very heavy to steer, but I wrote that off to the "sporty" nature of the GT.

Well, today I raised the bars on the GT, and took a ride. What a revelation. First, the weight was gone off my wrists. Second, with my new more upright position I was abe to settle back into the Russell seat and "found the pocket" This was getting better!

Finally, and most important to me, with the weight off my wrists I was no longer struggling to to wrestle the bike into corners, and had more fun riding. Not having the tension of all that weight on my wrists relaxed my grip, and as in most sports, this resulted in better feel, and makes me a better rider.

I realize this is something of a "blinding flash of the obvious", but I wonder how many of us have forgotten that we can easily adjust the height of the bars on our GT's?

2008 K1200GT, Custom Paint, Vivid Black, Aeroflow WS & Aeroguards, Givi E52 Maxia Topcase w/AdMore Lighting, Zumo 660, Suburban Footpeg Lowering, Sargent Seat

2009 R1200GS Adventure, Magnesium Grey/Black, Adventure Cases, Zumo 660, Touratech Unobtanium Accessories

1974 Norton Commando 850 Soon to be a restoration project
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 16th, 2010, 12:28 am

I just last week added bar extenders and moved my bars back and up quite a bit, it has really helped on my wrist which were getting too much weight on them for long distance.

I was hoping it would help but I was surprised at how much it helped, a little bit goes a long way towards comfort.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 16th, 2010, 3:47 am
TLW
Noob

Handlebar risers

MIKEYR,
was there enough flex in the wires to indicators, cruise control and lights withouit adding extensions? I thought there was no more flex in the wires to raise the bars further than the Maximum up position in the original bar adjuster so returned the riser bars to the dealer. There appears to be lots of flex in the throttle and clutch cables but not the electrical connectors. I do not want to reroute the wires away from the aluninium brackets that hold them neatly against the handlebars.
TLW
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 16th, 2010, 3:49 am
TLW
Noob

handlebar Risers

Sorry forgot to add my bike is a 09 1300 GT with all the bells and whistles.
TLW

Last edited by TLW; Sep 16th, 2010 at 5:13 am. Reason: incorrect date
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 16th, 2010, 11:50 am

09 GT also here. There was not enough length in the electrical wires to move the bars to very top position of the risers AND leave the wires in the little bracket, one notch down maybe, 2 notches down absolutely yes. I moved my bars to their highest position and left the wires alone, works great, no binding.

It really does not look bad at all, you really can't see it and I used that bracket to hold my wires/switch for the motolights so I am still using the bracket. But I also admit I am less of a cosmetics person then most, my bike sits outside and is my daily driver, I only washed it for the very first time this past weekend (5 months old). I welded up a bracket for my GPS and have not even painted it yet now its rusty from being outside, so I understand I am less of cosmetic person then most, if it works I am happy.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 16th, 2010, 2:30 pm
Veteran

Palms and hands hurt? Go faster.

Amazing what a few G's will do to get the pressure off them. Works on my S1000RR too, and probably why the crotch rockets cause one to sit that way with a lot of hand pressure on the bars in non-speedy situations.

What really hurts is coming down some steep mountain on a crotch rocket. Have to go slow and with A LOT of palm pressure applied. May as well have your palms on the ground ahead of the bike.

Mack
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 16th, 2010, 2:52 pm
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyr
09 GT also here. There was not enough length in the electrical wires to move the bars to very top position of the risers AND leave the wires in the little bracket, one notch down maybe, 2 notches down absolutely yes. I moved my bars to their highest position and left the wires alone, works great, no binding.

It really does not look bad at all, you really can't see it and I used that bracket to hold my wires/switch for the motolights so I am still using the bracket. But I also admit I am less of a cosmetics person then most, my bike sits outside and is my daily driver, I only washed it for the very first time this past weekend (5 months old). I welded up a bracket for my GPS and have not even painted it yet now its rusty from being outside, so I understand I am less of cosmetic person then most, if it works I am happy.
I followed directions on suburban risers and released wires from brackets, ties, etc. Tried to retie them with zipties but didn't work so well so they are now naked and free. Works well. '09 kgt.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 16th, 2010, 11:33 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by remphoto
I followed directions on suburban risers and released wires from brackets, ties, etc. Tried to retie them with zipties but didn't work so well so they are now naked and free. Works well. '09 kgt.
Same here, I just left them and it works great. I really like the new position, can ride a lot longer now. Bike is almost ready for a trip somewhere, anywhere, just a trip. I really like having a GPS and the motolights and hyperlites make me feel more visible (probably imagination) and new seat and handlebar risers, its ready.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 17th, 2010, 2:46 am
TLW
Noob

Thanks for the prompt reply. I will reorder the risers and give it a bash but with my DIY skill/luck something is bound to go wrong! I have been riding a 800GS for the last couple of years and my body is now used to a sit up and beg posture which is OK most of the time on the GT , but when I sit on the AIRHAWK I feel slightly bent over.Absolutely delighted with the GT.
Safe riding
TLW

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode