Another Stalling Thread - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 17th, 2010, 8:28 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Another Stalling Thread

I have a 2006 K1200GT that I bought with 20k miles on it. It now has around 32K miles. The bike has always ran perfect since I bought it, until about 6 months ago. It usually stalls in first gear when pulling in the clutch to stop. Why would it develope the problem now?
I called the dealer and he said he could clean the injectors but that probably wouldn't fix it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 17th, 2010, 9:46 pm
Addict-oholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMartin
I have a 2006 K1200GT that I bought with 20k miles on it. It now has around 32K miles. The bike has always ran perfect since I bought it, until about 6 months ago. It usually stalls in first gear when pulling in the clutch to stop. Why would it develope the problem now?
I called the dealer and he said he could clean the injectors but that probably wouldn't fix it.
Sounds like the problems that the 2009 1300's first had. It was resolved with a software upgrade. I did have a 2006 and that had the airbox fix as it shuddered, bucked and had hi idle.

Larry
Deep Blue 2009 K1300GT
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 17th, 2010, 11:14 pm Thread Starter
Noob

It has had the airbox upgrade done.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 18th, 2010, 5:17 am
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMartin
That is so sad that it is almost funny. He could check your tire pressure too, but that probably wouldn't fix it. OMG!
Sorry, I don't have a solution, but I could ask my wife. She doesn't know anything about bikes or motors either. It appears that many of the KS riders had to install a PCIII to get their bikes to run right and stop stalling. Me included. BMW was NO help at all.

07 BMW K1200 S (cosmic blue/titan silver)
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 19th, 2010, 5:30 pm
Noob

My 09 1300 will rough idle and die sometimes, I've had all the updates done and it still does it . It's in the shop now

IBA # 33267

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 19th, 2010, 10:20 pm
Addict

First off I assume that it has been doing this for a while, i.e. through several tanks of gas?

From what I understand the idle issues on the 1200 and 1300 were/are caused by by different faults. On the 1200 it most often had to do with the air bypass valve hanging up and with the 1300 it was a software issue.

The air bypass valve issue usually caused a racing idle (not stalling, although I think that could happen too depending on where the valve piston sticks in the bore.) If it were me I would check carefully for any vacuum leaks or other basic problems, and try to find someone with a GS-911 to see if there are any codes present and to reset/recalibrate the idle bypass stepper.

If those steps didn't turn up anything I'd probably try cleaning the air bypass bore and polishing the piston (there was a service bulletin out that described the procedure), especially if the problem seems related to temperature.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 20th, 2010, 9:57 am
Noob

My '07 with 42000 miles started stalling with dangerous frequency. Although there are several possible causes, dirty throttle bodies from ethenol contaning gas is a cause. In my experience, running Techtron through the fuel does not fix it. I cleaned my throttle bodies myself with carb cleaner a tooth brush and a rag be sure to clean both sides of the butterfly valves also. My K1200 GT has run perfectly now for 3000 miles.
You can do this yourself by removing the fairing,gas tank and air box. Take your time, limit distractions, and label fastners, hoses and plugs. By doing this at home you will eliminate a trip to the dealer ( 200 miles for me ) and likely solve the problem. If not, you may have another problem such as a bad coil that will require the dealers attention. This issue is fixable.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 20th, 2010, 10:46 am
Addict

Ethanol is a solvent and does more to clean fuel system parts than contaminate them. There can be issues if ethanol-containing gasoline is put into an older system with a lot of built-up deposits because the ethanol may start to break down the contaminants and cause problems downstream, but that's unlikely in a relatively new bike. If a fuel system is designed to tolerate a given percentage of ethanol then ethanol blends at or below that level won't cause any damage, and in fact will probably run cleaner than pure gasoline.

Personally I think BMW's blaming problems on dirty throttle bodies or poor-quality fuel were never anything more than subterfuge to buy time. I'm not doubting that such cleaning has seemed to solve a problem or two, but I think it's more likely that something was cured (such as a vacuum leak) in the process of R&Ring the throttle bodies than the cleaning itself really doing anything.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 22nd, 2010, 6:01 am
Noob

All that I can say is that cleaning the throttle bodies fixed the problem. I believe that the deposits were preventing complete closure of the butterflys and affecting proper vacuum at idle. I'm not an engineer it's just my take from my experience.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 23rd, 2010, 7:31 am
Enthusiast

My '10 GT was having issues from about 1,000 miles through the 6,000 mile check. I brought it to the dealer and they cleaned the necessary parts and threw some fuel additive in the tank. They said they fixed it....

I said "Bringing my bike in for service every 1,000 miles and adding fuel treatment every couple of tanks is not a 'fix' in my opinion. My car doesn't require this amount of maintenance and it isn't included in the maintenance schedule for the bike either."

.....Mike
'10 K1300GT
Royal Blue Metallic
Garmin Zumo 660
Nolan N-103 w/ BT Kit

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode