barbacks - K1300GT - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 18th, 2010, 11:40 am Thread Starter

barbacks - K1300GT

I'm thinking about barbacks and looking for comments from anyone who has done this. Specifically, any thoughts about the difference between the the products from Verholen, Suburban Machinery, and Helibar? They all seem to work about the same although I think the Helibars only adjust back and not up. Any cable issues?
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 18th, 2010, 12:11 pm
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by onedae
I'm thinking about barbacks and looking for comments from anyone who has done this. Specifically, any thoughts about the difference between the the products from Verholen, Suburban Machinery, and Helibar? They all seem to work about the same although I think the Helibars only adjust back and not up. Any cable issues?
Thanks
Suburbans are less expensive, US made and I had great service. Plus Ohio businesses could use the money

Just follow the directions and release the wires and lines from their holders, cut ties, and everything will reach.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 18th, 2010, 12:58 pm
IBR# 366

I started with the HeliBars, then changed to the Suburban Machinery risers.

The HeliBar unit moves the bars back 1", at the stock "tall" setting.

The Verholen units move the bars back 1" and bring them 1.65" (42 mm) higher. Verholen claims that no cable adjustments are necessary, but I haven't tried them to know for sure.

The Suburban Machinery units move the bars back 1", but also have five height positions. The lowest is equal to the stock "tall" position. The second and third positions add 9 mm each (0.35" or 0.7"). The fourth and fifth positions are also 9 mm steps, but are realistically too tall to allow the stock K1200GT throttle cables to reach comfortably. The SM risers also have a couple of tapped holes that can be used to mount things.

I eventually had my K12 throttle cables lengthened a couple of inches by a local cable shop, which allows me to run the bars full up. I understand the K13 cables are already a bit longer, so that may not be a problem, and may be what the Verholen units are referring to.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 60K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#145, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 18th, 2010, 2:06 pm

I used Suburban risers on my K13GT, at the highest setting no issues with cables.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 18th, 2010, 3:06 pm
Veteran

+1 on Suburban Machinery.

I can vouch for their customer support, too. I had technical questions about how to attach a ZTechnik GPS mount with the bar backs installed. The owners (husband and wife) answered my questions. Very nice people. They also pointed out, in the nicest way, that I needn't have bought the ZTechnik mount - I could have used the two mount holes on the bar backs instead. Doh!

Note: I use the bar backs for long distance riding and couldn't live without them, but I prefer to go without the bar backs for local rides.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 18th, 2010, 3:12 pm
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by XMagnaRider
+1 on Suburban Machinery.

I can vouch for their customer support, too. I had technical questions about how to attach a ZTechnik GPS mount with the bar backs installed. The owners (husband and wife) answered my questions. Very nice people. They also pointed out, in the nicest way, that I needn't have bought the ZTechnik mount - I could have used the two mount holes on the bar backs instead. Doh!

Note: I use the bar backs for long distance riding and couldn't live without them, but I prefer to go without the bar backs for local rides.
The owners are indeed helpful. Due to ignorance on my part (failure to use locktite), I lost the screws in the two mount holes on the barbacks and a set screw on one of the peg lowerers (SM's makes excellent ones) A call to SM and they sent me a nice assortment of extra replacement screws at no cost. That is service!
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 20th, 2010, 12:28 am
Noob

BarBacks K-GT

Have taken the HeliBars Tour PerformanceŽ Handlebar Relocation Adapters off my K-GT due to having real long arms. Classy look, reliable and real sturdy. You can see at: http://www.helibars.com/product/k120...ation-adapters

They sell at $199; will sell to you at half price and you pay shipping and handling.

[email protected]
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 20th, 2010, 12:38 pm Thread Starter

PM sent to eagleasis
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 20th, 2010, 8:47 pm
Rookie

As a point of reference: I'm 5-9" ish and kind of old. My 07 bought from a bud had a set of suburbans installed. I tried them for a couple of trips and returned the bike to stock with the rise set mid way.

The bars work great for me stock as I love the slight forward cant and the road feel of my weight being balanced between my hands and butt.

Its all personal preference.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 21st, 2010, 9:54 pm
Noob

Thumbs up Suburbans work great!

After talking to several people with the same K1200Gt that I have the suburban machinery name kept coming up.

I enjoyed my bike but after a few hundred miles the forward pressure would get to me. I called and spoke with the wife who essentially told me that I should try the risers and if for any reason I didn't like them I could return them.

Three observations, 1. This is a very well thought out product that works, highest setting with no cable problems. 2. These are very easy people to do business with that have confidence in their products. 3. A relatively small difference 1.5 inches up and 1.5 inches back in the bars make a tremendous difference in comfort especially after 500 miles. I liked them so much that I also purchased the foot lowering peg kit which works equally well.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode