Make a Prediction - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Sep 20th, 2010, 5:58 pm Thread Starter

Make a Prediction

About 3-4 weeks ago I noticed a slight vibration in the handlebars. Having a worn set of tires I chalked it up to a little cupping of the front tire. This past Thursday I had a new set of Avon 2's installed. Leaving the bike shop with new tire's I didn't notice any vibration until I got out of town and got up to 50 mph. The vibration was more intense and much more noticable at speed. So when I got home I pulled the wheels off and put back on to the correct torque spec. No luck. The vibration was still there. While I had the bike on the center stand I spun the rear wheel and heard a rumble. Trailered the bike to the nearest BMW shop 4 hours away Sat. Hope to hear something this Tuesday.

Would anyone like to make a guess as to what is wrong ? Thanks.

Have a Great Ride, Lenbo

2008 BMW K1200 GT
2000 HD Night Train
88 HD Softail Custom
86 1100 HD Sportster
69 900 HD Sportster
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Sep 20th, 2010, 6:50 pm
Veteran

Sounds like you may have answered you own question. Bad final drive bearing(s). Did you wiggle the wheel any back there for play?

Mack
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Sep 20th, 2010, 7:19 pm
Veteran

Yeah, my question too. Just a rumble? Did the rear wheel have any play in it? Anything noticeable enough to give you the willies going down the road should be pretty obvious. What about your steering bearings? I think there was a thread here fairly recently about that too. How many miles on the bike?

'07 GT Sold- 2012 GSA Triple Black - Farkles O'Plenty!

I think I'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe....but I am NOT a Dental Floss Tycoon!
What's with this STUPID Cosmic Door?! ....Going Somewhere?!....Going Somewhere?!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Oct 3rd, 2010, 11:07 am Thread Starter

Took the bike in Sat. had a brand new final drive and new front brake line recall done. The bike was ready to ride Wen. The folks at Bogarts BMW (namely Kenny) where awsome.Thanks guy's , sorry to hear the dealership is closing in a few weeks.

There was no play in the wheel, only a rumble when the wheel was turned on the center stand.17000 miles.

Have a Great Ride, Lenbo

2008 BMW K1200 GT
2000 HD Night Train
88 HD Softail Custom
86 1100 HD Sportster
69 900 HD Sportster

Last edited by Lenbo; Oct 3rd, 2010 at 11:23 am.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode