Oil Change Help - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 24th, 2010, 8:02 am Thread Starter
Noob

Oil Change Help

I guess there is a post somewhere on this forum on oil change procedures for the 08 GT.

Could someone offer some advice on what is needed to extract the oil on this bike?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 24th, 2010, 9:34 am
Rookie

The September BMW Owner's News Magazine has a complete write up with lots of pictures.

If you're looking to get the last of the oil out, you can use a Mighty Vac hand pump, after you've drained as much oil as you can per the owner's manual. Usually about a half pint is left.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 25th, 2010, 8:05 am
Noob

at the top under technical is hall of wisdom. look under there or this link

Herb
2007 KGT

Last edited by Meese; Sep 25th, 2010 at 12:36 pm. Reason: fixed quote tags
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 25th, 2010, 9:31 am
Rookie

Here's a link I found on bmw sport touring.

http://bmwsporttouring.com/ubbthread...=335650&page=1
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 25th, 2010, 1:01 pm
Addict

This is what I use to evacuate the oil from the tank, very quick and easy (and a lot less messy) compared to the method in the thread.

http://www.amazon.com/Mityvac-7300-P.../dp/B000JFN9WW

You can save about $20 by going with a manual pump version (or if you don't have shop air), but the air-operated model is a lot easier.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 25th, 2010, 6:16 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by smiller
This is what I use to evacuate the oil from the tank, very quick and easy (and a lot less messy) compared to the method in the thread.

http://www.amazon.com/Mityvac-7300-P.../dp/B000JFN9WW

You can save about $20 by going with a manual pump version (or if you don't have shop air), but the air-operated model is a lot easier.
Interesting looking unit. I'm assuming you are just sticking the hose down into the reservoir and not siphoning off the plastic straw hose that comes off it. How much extra oil do you figure you actually get out of the bike in comparison to just draining everything?

'07 GT Sold- 2012 GSA Triple Black - Farkles O'Plenty!

I think I'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe....but I am NOT a Dental Floss Tycoon!
What's with this STUPID Cosmic Door?! ....Going Somewhere?!....Going Somewhere?!

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 25th, 2010, 10:00 pm
Rookie

This is the one I use - the 6.9 Quart one. On sale for $49.99 at West Marine at the moment

Brian Louw
2013 K1600GT Light Grey Metallic
2011 R1200GSA
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 26th, 2010, 1:05 am
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_W
Interesting looking unit. I'm assuming you are just sticking the hose down into the reservoir and not siphoning off the plastic straw hose that comes off it. How much extra oil do you figure you actually get out of the bike in comparison to just draining everything?
Yeah, you just shove a small tube into the oil tank, no need to even disconnect the hose. The evacuator seems to get just about the last drop of oil out of the tank so it should be at least as good as the gravity drain method, if not better.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 26th, 2010, 9:57 am
Veteran

Well, I just might have to pick one of the units up. At least it would make the top end a bit less messy. But I still haven't found a way of getting the filter off without making a mess. Tried wedging tin foil under there but no matter what it seems to always wind up with a bit of oil on the pipes. Burns off quick though.

'07 GT Sold- 2012 GSA Triple Black - Farkles O'Plenty!

I think I'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe....but I am NOT a Dental Floss Tycoon!
What's with this STUPID Cosmic Door?! ....Going Somewhere?!....Going Somewhere?!

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 26th, 2010, 1:39 pm
Veteran

Here's the one I use: Harbor Freight Transfer Pump. I throw it away if it gets too messy and get another for $5.

Helps to remove that strainer in the tank too. I put a drywall screw in the middle of it as a handle and worked all the little clips loose with a bent paper clip and long strips of thin cardboard to keep the clips disengaged to get it out. Then I trimmed off the retaining clips so I could remove it without fighting the clips the next time I changed oil. It just drops in the filler hole and comes out easily with the drywall screw handle I keep.

Mack

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode