BMW Battery Tender "routine" - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 24th, 2010, 1:31 pm Thread Starter

BMW Battery Tender "routine"

I bought the expensive one but have seen contradictory "routines" (no info came with the unit)

1. Turn ignition key on
2. Plug tender into accessory socket.
3. Turn key off
4. Plug battery tender into electrical outlet

and

1.You must first turn the key on to the bike,
2. then you plug the charger into the accessory socket,
3.then you plug the charger into the wall for power,
4.then you turn the key off.
Failure to do it this way will result in the charger not charging the battery and overheating."

Anyone happen to know which 3 and 4 I should be following?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tender190.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	13.7 KB
ID:	12571  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 24th, 2010, 2:24 pm
Addict

The second procedure is correct and works fine for me with that equipment.

2008 K1200GT, Custom Paint, Vivid Black, Aeroflow WS & Aeroguards, Givi E52 Maxia Topcase w/AdMore Lighting, Zumo 660, Suburban Footpeg Lowering, Sargent Seat

2009 R1200GS Adventure, Magnesium Grey/Black, Adventure Cases, Zumo 660, Touratech Unobtanium Accessories

1974 Norton Commando 850 Soon to be a restoration project
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 24th, 2010, 3:01 pm Thread Starter

Thanks - that was my guess.

When you use this sequence does it do any sort of diagnostic? e.g. red light flashes for a moment or all the lights go through the sequence 1/3 - 2/3 - etc initially?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 24th, 2010, 5:32 pm
Noob

Charger sequence

I plug charger into bike, then charger into wall socket, then turn bike key on for a few seconds, then off, and have had absolutely no problems.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 24th, 2010, 7:59 pm
Rookie

I plug the charger into the wall, an acessory outlet (i have 3) that is hooked directly to the battery and am good to go. I've had the stock outlet that is wired through the canbus shut itself off.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 24th, 2010, 7:59 pm

I have this unit for my 2007 GT and do the following: I plug the charger into the powerlet on the bike. I plug the charger into the wall. Period. It doesn't matter how long the bike's been shut down.....five minutes or five days.....it works fine. And I suspect that's the way the BMW engineers intended it to be used. I've read about this key on-key off stuff and must admit that it has me scratching my head. I can't believe that the thing was designed to be used in a manner different from every other battery tender/charger on the market and not have instructions to cover those differences. Maybe the CANBUS is different on different bikes? All I know is that mine works as advertised without the voodoo.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 24th, 2010, 11:35 pm
Veteran

Or you could install an Odyssey PC680MJ battery, ride or start your bike for at least 30 minutes a month or two.....heck, even I manage to do this in Montana climate......and never have to worry about a charger again! The Odyssey's last for years and years with no problems.

'07 GT Sold- 2012 GSA Triple Black - Farkles O'Plenty!

I think I'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe....but I am NOT a Dental Floss Tycoon!
What's with this STUPID Cosmic Door?! ....Going Somewhere?!....Going Somewhere?!

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 25th, 2010, 7:20 am
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_W
Or you could install an Odyssey PC680MJ battery, ride or start your bike for at least 30 minutes a month or two.....heck, even I manage to do this in Montana climate......and never have to worry about a charger again! The Odyssey's last for years and years with no problems.
Wouldn't it be better to leave the Odyssey battery disconnected, at least from the battery's point of view? Starting the engine is one of the biggest drains on the battery. I don't know how well a GT's electrical system can charge a battery with the engine at idle in 30 minutes. I suppose you could rev the engine for 30 minutes, but a charger sounds easier at that point. If you ride, then you have to ride it enough to replenish the energy you used to start it, plus more for storage losses (e.g., the clock and other electronics that slowly bleed the battery).

On my first real motorcycle, you could drain the battery from starts and spark plugs if you didn't keep the RPMs over 3,500 or so. As a learner, i did just that, while putting around at automobile-level RPMs around the neighborhood. (Of course, it came with a kick starter for dummies like me who drained the battery.)

A disconnected Odyssey will hold its charge very well. I left my new Odyssey on the shelf for four months before installing it. The bike started right up, no problems.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 25th, 2010, 9:46 am
Veteran

Yeah well maybe I shouldn't have been so literal about the 30 minute thing. I don't know exactly how long it takes the GT's alternator to charge the battery up but it's not too long. I was just making more of the point that if you ride it, even once in a while, it'll stay charged no problem. Even in the dead of winter I tend to start the bike up at least a once a week or so just to keep everything lubed and such. A lot easier than ripping the thing apart to winterize it. Besides, every now and then when I get a clear day riding in 15 degree weather can be fun!

'07 GT Sold- 2012 GSA Triple Black - Farkles O'Plenty!

I think I'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe....but I am NOT a Dental Floss Tycoon!
What's with this STUPID Cosmic Door?! ....Going Somewhere?!....Going Somewhere?!

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 25th, 2010, 6:27 pm

the odyssey has a very long shelf life if you disconnect you will not need to charge it.

Personally, I ride, that is my battery charger both the bikes and my personal battery.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode