Tire pressure monitor - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 28th, 2010, 4:15 am Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Tire pressure monitor

Does anyone have any experience with using an aftermarket tire pressure monitor? After doing some online research the Doran looks promising in that they identify the K12GT specifically in that their sensor will fit properly on the front tire valve stem with enough clearance to miss any parts while the wheel is turning.

The other one that I have been looking at is the Tiregard TPMS. I like the looks of this one for two reasons. First, it's 50 dollars cheaper than the Doran, and secondly, I am only really interested in a device that will give me a pressure check first thing before I ride. The ability to look at my tire pressure while driving down the road isn't a real priority for me. I'm a big fan of "keeping it simple". The question I have about the Tiregard is if their would be enough clearance of the sensor when mounted on the front tire.

If anyone has any input or first hand experience with either of these two products (or any other brand) I sure would appreciate the advice.

Thanks!

Initial Success, or Total Failure.
'08 K1200GT (Adventurin Silver)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 28th, 2010, 5:41 am
Noob

I had a Doran tire pressure monitor on R1150RT and was very happy with the unit. I powered the unit through a Centech fuse box so I would not see tire pressure until a few minutes into the ride (not very useful). On the other hand, the unit gave me advance notice when I experienced two flat tires. A friend of mine has an R1200R and wired the Doran receiver directly to power so he is able to monitor pressure immediately at the beginning of the ride. Overall, the unit is excellent. I have TPM on my 2009 K1300GT and the tire pressure readlings were more accurate on the Doran. Finally, if I recall correctly, the tire pressure on the Doran was temperature compensated (remember high school chemistry wherein PV=nRT.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 28th, 2010, 6:58 am Thread Starter
Enthusiast

I appreciate the reply Molecule. If I do go with the Doran I think I'll have to wire it directly to the battery like your friend had done. I didn't even recall in the literature online that the unit was temp compensated, but that sure is something that the other unit I was looking at sure doesn't do.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 28th, 2010, 11:46 am
IBR# 366

Yes, the TireGard sensors fit the GT.

It uses a small keychain display, which isn't waterproof. So if all you want to do is check pressure then throw it in your jacket pocket then it works great. If you want to be able to mount the display to the bike and see it while riding (like I do), then it's not that great.

I can cut you a good deal on a very slightly used one . . .

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 60K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#145, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 28th, 2010, 1:44 pm Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Thanks Meese! Actually, I went ahead and ordered the Doran this morning. From what I have read on their website and after the input from Molecule I think I'll be pretty happy with the Doran unit.

Thanks!

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 5th, 2010, 9:06 pm
Addict

Think tire pressure monitors are a good thing.
I worked for a company that sold them (not Doran but same style) and I have installed them on big trucks and trailers that had 22 tires.

The system is very accurate in pressure readings.

BUT; the short coming of the system is the sensor (the black acorn) to valve stem seal.
The sensor is screwed on the brass thread of the stem and it opens the valve in the stem. This allows the air pressure to enter the sensor so it will be able to read the air pressure.
The seal in the sensor is the critical to keep the air in the tire and this is soft spot of the system.
If you do not screw the sensor in too tight the seal leaks, if you screw the sensor in to tight the seal leaks.

NOTE: After you screw the sensor on the valve stem spray it with soapy water to be sure it does not leak.

I have messed up one installation of the sensors on a 22 tire rig and it had 3 flat tires in the morning.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 5th, 2010, 10:05 pm Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Thanks for the heads-up, will keep that in mind. I've had the system up and running now for almost a week and I have to say that I'm very happy with my decision in purchasing the Doran.

Really convenient to be able to walk out to the bike in the morning before my ride and being able to just hit 1 button to check air pressure. Double checked the readings to my "old" pressure gauge it it looks to be right on the mark.

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 4th, 2012, 7:28 pm
Rookie

Do you still want to sett the tiregard?

'04 K12GT Grey-Green
Garmin 2820
Nolan N-103
S&W M&P 500

"Be the person your dog thinks you are"; unknown author
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 4th, 2012, 11:46 pm
IBR# 366

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbuckli
Do you still want to sett the tiregard?
Sorry, sold it already.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 60K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#145, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 5th, 2012, 3:20 pm

...and still working properly

Un-used mirror hole mounting posts AVAILABLE

Check it out here!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode