Xenon = HID? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 2nd, 2010, 8:44 pm Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Xenon = HID?

Guess I didn't get the fact that the Xenon light on the '08 GT was actually a HID lamp. Anyone else a little dissatisfied with the light output? I purchased a HID lamp to replace the stock one only to discover that without doing a LOT of splicing it is not a plug and play deal.

Guess I just need to get use to keeping the speed down at night so as not to outrun the current stock headlight.

Initial Success, or Total Failure.
'08 K1200GT (Adventurin Silver)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 2nd, 2010, 9:07 pm
Addict

No problem with my factory Xenon headlight. Nice and bright. Why would you replace the bulb? If you need more light for high speed night work then you may want to look into adding additional lights, which can be halogen or HID. Lots of folks here have done that, and I'm sure they will post some suggestions here. I would leave the stock light alone. You may not like the look of additional lights, but that is really the only way to get more night time performance.....

2008 K1200GT, Custom Paint, Vivid Black, Aeroflow WS & Aeroguards, Givi E52 Maxia Topcase w/AdMore Lighting, Zumo 660, Suburban Footpeg Lowering, Sargent Seat

2009 R1200GS Adventure, Magnesium Grey/Black, Adventure Cases, Zumo 660, Touratech Unobtanium Accessories

1974 Norton Commando 850 Soon to be a restoration project
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 2nd, 2010, 10:46 pm
Addict

if your bike already has HID< there shouldn't be too much splicing to do since you would just plug n play, or splice 2 wires for the bulb itself, assuming that's it's the same wattage. otherwise, you'd bypass the entire stock system and use the 2 power wires going into the stock ballast and wire that to your aftermarket ballast.

Other than that, like ^ said, getting more light for high speed night driving, you should look into aux driving lights, which have a pencil beam pattern for more distance.

2006 K12R Aluminum - 6/2007~current
-ESA, ABS, heated grips, sport bags.
-PCIII w/ dyno tuned street map
-Leo Vince Ti silencer
-HID main light
-HID aux lights
-dual air filters
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 3rd, 2010, 7:26 pm
Veteran

I'm not understanding the original post at all.
If you found out that you already HAVE an Xenon (HID) low beam, then why would you even worry about splicing in an aftermarket? Wouldn't that sort of be the point where you want to return the aftermarket setup, since you already have it???

I have the impression that the stock HID is probably better than the aftermarket set up I have that replaced my stock halogen. I KNOW the sheiding is different and I have a sneaking suspicion the lense might have a different shape and the insertion depth of the bulb is probably different as well.

If you are just changing bulbs, possibly you bought a Xenon bulb for an H7 halogen hole, but if you have the stock Xenon headlight assembly, you need to buy the correct Xenon bulb (D2R).

Yes I find it neccesary to slow down a tad if I need to be on low beam, that's with an aftermarket Xenon kit low beam.

I have been playing with the idea of putting higher watt halogen high beam bulbs in, 65 W high beam H7's.
Gilly

"No problem is so big or so complicated that it can't be run away from"

Dark Graphite: Making bikes faster for over 40 years.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 4th, 2010, 6:04 am
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombteck
Guess I didn't get the fact that the Xenon light on the '08 GT was actually a HID lamp. Anyone else a little dissatisfied with the light output? I purchased a HID lamp to replace the stock one only to discover that without doing a LOT of splicing it is not a plug and play deal.

Guess I just need to get use to keeping the speed down at night so as not to outrun the current stock headlight.
I am very pleased with the BMW factory Xenon HID headlight. It works well for me. The unusual cutoff pattern does upset some car drivers, however. One road-rage'd driver tailgated us with his brights on for many miles on I-80 over Donner Pass in freezing temperatures, but there was little I could do about it.

I have many long-distance riding friends who have invested in auxiliary lighting, which may be what you need. They spend considerable time riding at night under a variety of conditions and roads. Auxiliary lighting may be used for conspicuity, seeing in the fog, and for wider and longer illumination of the road ahead. Different lights have different properties - not just from the bulbs, but from the reflector and housing designs as well. Some are high quality, and some are cheap and low quality. In general, you get what you pay for.

See this thread for more discussion: http://www.k-bikes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20897

P.S. I heard elsewhere that the Phillips 4G-HID lights have been discontinued. They are considered one of the best available, but were not selling in sufficient quantities to be viable in the market. I hope I'm wrong about it, because someday I would like to buy a pair.

Last edited by XMagnaRider; Oct 4th, 2010 at 6:12 am.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 4th, 2010, 8:39 am

Extra lighting

I have a love-hate relationship w/the PIAA Cross Country series HID bolt-ons. I bought a pair of these last fall for my K13GT and hung them off the adequate under-mirror mounts. Within 9 weeks, the black anodized finish started to fade to a gross copper color due to sun damage here in North Carolina...But more importantly, the reflectors started to corrode to a gross and decidedly non-reflecting cloudy white color and the interior of the lens had some kind of residue build-up from the vaporizing reflectors...PIAA said they recognized that Trail-Tech ( the true manufacturer for the Cross-Countries), had made some fundamental errors in design and construction but now a re-design solved all the problems....They sent me a new set for free.....About 18 weeks later, same thing again, black to copper and vaporizing reflectors w/residue staining the interior of the lens....DOHHHHH!!! So, I sent them back again and PIAA apologized profusely and said that my last set was a Beta-Test model that had recently failed as well. They then proceeded to assure me that "all the problems have definitively been addressed since some PIAA engineers went to Trail Tech and straightened out the problems"....A new set was forth-coming and loe and behold: the housings were no longer black anodized, they were black powder coated -> Very NICE! .....Buuuut: one beam was perfect, bright electric blue and extremely tightly focused beam....the other was a softer color, almost a rose tinted blue and poorly focused, like fog lamp...I sent pictures of the beams projected onto my garage door at 5 , 10 and 15 feet which depicted this annoying and glaring (excuse the pun) inbalance and once again, profuse apologies and two new, matched set of bulbs were forthcoming and delivered w/in the week....Huzzah, Huzzah, Huzzah!!!! They got it right, it's been 8 weeks and no fading to copper and no vaporizing of the reflectors and BRIGHT, GORGEOUS, FOCUSED LIGHTENING BLUE-WHITE spot beams w/wonderful lateral fringing lights my way every night. So, If I were YOU, I would get the bloody lights direct from PIAA, DO NOT purchase them from any other supplier as you will only receive their remaining stock of the VERY FLAWED Trail Tech lamps!! Yes, they cost $500 direct from PIAA or $375 or so from everyone else...but the cheap models are the lousy models...Unless you want to buy them and then go through all the warantee replacements until you get the latest models that do work!! -Dr Ron

2009 KGT makes me SMILE
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 4th, 2010, 6:44 pm Thread Starter
Enthusiast

My point was, and I was poking fun at myself in a roundabout way, was that I didn't realize the Xenon bulb in the GT was in fact a HID lamp. As far as the factory bulb being better than an aftermarket HID is something left to be seen. I do know that the ballast on the factory bulb is much smaller and built into the back of the bulb as one complete unit.

With that setup it turns out to be a real PIA to swap it to an H7 HID because not only do you have to splice into the new units wire for the electrical connection, but then you have to find a way to secure the new light into the light assembly that is set up to accept the Xenon's ballast/bulb configuration.

Auxillary lighting seems to be the way to go, and thanks to everyone for their input.

Initial Success, or Total Failure.
'08 K1200GT (Adventurin Silver)
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 4th, 2010, 7:51 pm
Addict

Yep.

2008 K1200GT, Custom Paint, Vivid Black, Aeroflow WS & Aeroguards, Givi E52 Maxia Topcase w/AdMore Lighting, Zumo 660, Suburban Footpeg Lowering, Sargent Seat

2009 R1200GS Adventure, Magnesium Grey/Black, Adventure Cases, Zumo 660, Touratech Unobtanium Accessories

1974 Norton Commando 850 Soon to be a restoration project
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 6th, 2010, 11:45 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombteck
I do know that the ballast on the factory bulb is much smaller and built into the back of the bulb as one complete unit.
My understanding is the ballast is attached to the bottom of the housing.

I didn't mean to say the BULB is better with an aftermarket, what I do mean to say is i think the pattern is better with the Xenon headlight assembly w/factory D2R bulb, rather than a factory halogen headlight assembly with an aftermarket HID bulb setup (Xenon bulb with H7 base).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	K44_R63004b_small.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	45.5 KB
ID:	12616  

"No problem is so big or so complicated that it can't be run away from"

Dark Graphite: Making bikes faster for over 40 years.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 8th, 2010, 11:21 pm
Enthusiast

My HD low beam is not great because of the beam pattern, The black spot right in front of you is very disturbing . Also it makes no sense to light the sides and dark in front.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode