feed back - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Oct 4th, 2010, 11:39 am Thread Starter

feed back

Hi Guys thinking of traveling back to Canada from Arizona come this spring, the route that l would like to plan is up is California and across to Colorado , and that is around April MAY
Has anyone been in these areas that time of the year?. All feed back is highly appreciated
THANX SILVANO
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Oct 4th, 2010, 12:43 pm
Veteran

Only east-west mountain passes that are generally open is 178 in the south and sometimes I-80 in the north (need chains though even in April and the trucks tear that road surface up with their chains in the winter and is a painful mess on a bike and sometimes only one lane. BT.DT.). This is if you plan to go through the Central Valley. Desert along 395 is usually open although it can close around the Mammoth Lakes area at times and gets cold through there.

Here's one site I bookmark for mountain passes in CA: CA Mountain Passes - Opening/Closures

Mack
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Oct 4th, 2010, 6:02 pm
Addict

As long as your flexible that time of year should not be a problem Of course if you go early April, chances are the only pass in the North that is open is 80, Sacramento to Reno. They actively keep 80 open, it does close but as fast as they can plow its open again, whereas the rest of them 4, 108, and 120, are close 'em until the spring thaw, usually late spring, usually they will open by Memorial Day.

This plan would almost always work.

From AZ, cut over to Santa Barbara and ride the costal highway, 1, to SF. From there 80 to Reno.

2008 R 1200 GS ADV
2007 K 1200 GT Graphite
98 HD Sportster 1200C [Sold] (Mistake)
Various dirt bikes in my youth.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Oct 4th, 2010, 10:01 pm
Veteran

Tioga closed today.

'07 GT Sold- 2012 GSA Triple Black - Farkles O'Plenty!

I think I'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe....but I am NOT a Dental Floss Tycoon!
What's with this STUPID Cosmic Door?! ....Going Somewhere?!....Going Somewhere?!

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Oct 5th, 2010, 10:16 am
Enthusiast

Hey Silvano, we talked when you were in Colorado a few years back. The passes in April & May are iffy. They keep I-70 open but it can be slushy after a snowstorm. Keep an eye on the weather reports...if there are no recent storms, then it should be clear. Go over in the afternoon after it warms up and things are melted. There's a Colorado Department of Transportation (CDOT) website that has fairly accurate and up to date road condition reports.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode