Final drive fluid change questions - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 11th, 2010, 5:27 pm Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Final drive fluid change questions

1) Is it necessary to remove the brake caliper?

2) Why not use the drain hole to refill w/ fluid, instead of the speed sensor hole?

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 11th, 2010, 6:04 pm
Addict

1) I've never removed the brake caliper. Just make sure that there is enough slack in the brake line and electrical connections when you pivot the drive assembly down.

2) You can refill through the drain hole, but it's kind of a pain since the ring gear is very close to the housing so you have to inject the fluid very slowly if you don't want it spilling everywhere. So you can do it, but in some ways it's just easier to remove the speed sensor.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 11th, 2010, 6:43 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by smiller
2) You can refill through the drain hole, but it's kind of a pain since the ring gear is very close to the housing so you have to inject the fluid very slowly if you don't want it spilling everywhere. So you can do it, but in some ways it's just easier to remove the speed sensor.
I use a 50cc siring and a tube meant for fueltube for modelairplane engines. This tube is small enough to fit in between the teeth in the crownwheel and thus filling through the drainplug is fairly simple.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 11th, 2010, 8:22 pm
Addict

That's a good idea. Another thing you can do (if you're determined to fill via the drain hole) is slowly rotate the wheel as you add fluid. When the ring gear is moving it helps grab/trap the fluid which helps to avoid spill.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 11th, 2010, 8:36 pm Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Thanks guys. I have been using the drain hole and a syringe w/ a short piece of tubing on it, and not removing the caliper. I was just wondering if there was any reason not to do it this way.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 12th, 2010, 12:45 pm
IBR# 366

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidS
Thanks guys. I have been using the drain hole and a syringe w/ a short piece of tubing on it, and not removing the caliper. I was just wondering if there was any reason not to do it this way.
If you have an '06-'07 bike, filling through the 3 o'clock drain hole works fine, as long as you do it slowly to minimize spillage.

If you have an '08 or above, or if your final drive has been replaced with the newer version, then the drain hole is at 7 o'clock (near the bottom) so you can't refill there. Thus the speed sensor hole is it. Then again, you don't have to undo the driveshaft and swing down the FD to drain it, either.

Either way, remember that BMW's recommended fill level is now 180 ml, not the 230 ml as originally stated.

I simply went to a local medical supply place and bought a 60 ml syringe for a couple of bucks. Three slow plunges and you're done.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 60K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#145, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 13th, 2010, 8:21 am Thread Starter
Enthusiast

'08 and the drain hole is at 3 o'clock, and I think all the '08's are at 3 o'clock. And yes, it's slow going even w/ a syringe.

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 13th, 2010, 9:56 am
IBR# 366

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidS
'08 and the drain hole is at 3 o'clock, and I think all the '08's are at 3 o'clock.
Nope, at some point in the '08 build year they changed over to the final drive with the 7 o'clock drain plug. I've seen '08 bikes with both types of drives.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 60K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#145, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 13th, 2010, 1:45 pm Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Aha. I notice that in your signature it says your '07 is dead. What's up w/ that?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode