Clutch noise opinion - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old Oct 12th, 2010, 11:54 am Thread Starter
Addict

Clutch noise opinion

I've been rding this bike more two up than any bike I have ever owned. Not only two up but fully loaded. Now when I start off in first gear at the final release of full clutch from a stand still I get this high pitched chirp from down low. I'm guessing it the clutch but does this mean its about to fail?
2006 K1200GT with 3k miles

Thanks for your opinions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old Oct 12th, 2010, 5:10 pm
Veteran

It's a "normal" beemer thing. Some times the plates scrape on the basket causing it to wear. Mine was only slightly worn at 42k miles and not in need of service. I'm betting I'll get at least another 30 or 40k out of mine. Don't worry.

Besides.....with only 3k miles on an '06 (really? ...dude...you need to get out more)... you would have to have seriously beaten the crap out of the thing to be worn out.

'07 GT Sold- 2012 GSA Triple Black - Farkles O'Plenty!

I think I'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe....but I am NOT a Dental Floss Tycoon!
What's with this STUPID Cosmic Door?! ....Going Somewhere?!....Going Somewhere?!

post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old Oct 12th, 2010, 7:44 pm
Noob

I have an '07 K12GT with 15K that I just purchased a month ago, the same sound is coming from the clutch but I don't notice it until the bike gets warm and never had the noise until a couple of weeks ago when I rode with 4 other guys in a more agressive fashion than I usually ride and now I have that sound at the final realease of the clutch lever from a stop position, I thought I may have issues with the basket on the clutch like I have read but hope all is well Any constructive input would be appreciated. Thanks

JC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old Oct 12th, 2010, 8:34 pm
Veteran

On mine I get more of a short grunt when I engage the clutch, but only if it's warmed up a bit. Nothin I'm worryin' about, but I do notice it.

"No problem is so big or so complicated that it can't be run away from"

Dark Graphite: Making bikes faster for over 40 years.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old Oct 13th, 2010, 10:13 am Thread Starter
Addict

Well I thought I typed the mileage right....guess not.

2006 K1200GT with 33,000 miles

Heck I like 400 mile days.

So the consesus is, its an acceptable sound?
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old Oct 13th, 2010, 10:50 am
IBR# 366

The answer is that the metal fingers on the clutch plates are slowly wearing grooves into the slots on the outer basket and inner hub. So when you are engaging the clutch, the plates are being pressed together as designed, but catching just slightly so that the engagement is not completely smooth. This manifests as a judder or noise as the plates vibrate against each other just before they're pressed together hard enough to quiet down.

BMW's answer is to use a 5w-40 oil. Specifically, they recommend:
Motor Oil Power 1 Racing 4T 5W-40 4L BMW Part# 83 12 2 153 837

They have also redesigned the clutch assembly on the newer K13 bikes, which parts can be retrofitted into a K12. But sometimes, the K13 bikes still get that judder . . .

If all you're getting is a slight judder/noise, then you probably have a lot of miles left before there's a serious problem. But if you keep the bike long enough, you will be putting a clutch into it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbmwrs
So the consensus is, its an acceptable sound?
It is an expected sound. Whether it is acceptable to you or not is your call.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 60K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#145, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old Oct 13th, 2010, 10:52 am
Veteran

Whew...OK...33k. That's better. But yes, unless it gets seriously bad...which I realize is some what subjective....then don't sweat it. When I looked at mine there was a slightly worn spot on the inside of the basket where the plates had been rubbing against it. Seems like I can also minimize the problem by hitting the throttle just a tad harder at start up. I find that if I get a bit sloppy on the clutch the noise is worse. Besides the basket though the plates themselves were in great shape at 42k. Mine are all highway miles though so if you're stop and go a lot obviously YMMV.

I think I'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe....but I am NOT a Dental Floss Tycoon!
What's with this STUPID Cosmic Door?! ....Going Somewhere?!....Going Somewhere?!

post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old Oct 13th, 2010, 11:11 am Thread Starter
Addict

Well I use Golden Spectro Semi-Syn Oil 10w-40w

So do you think I should change to 5w-40 full syn?
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old Oct 13th, 2010, 11:35 am
IBR# 366

What I listed above is BMW's current official recommendation for oil.

I have used the pricey BMW oil, but I've also used name-brand semi-synth oil without any problems.

I've never seen an oil-related failure on these bikes. As long as you use the proper JASO spec and change it out regularly, you won't have any issues.

So I wouldn't suddenly drain your oil and change it out, but on the next oil change you might want to try BMW's oil and see if it helps your chirping noise.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 60K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#145, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old Oct 13th, 2010, 11:41 am
Veteran

I think the oil thing is totally subjective and a typical BMW response. It's easier to tell every one to use a different oil then it is to redesign and retro fit a whole lot of clutches. It's hard to believe that a change from 10w to 5w could really make that much of a difference in this case. But I suppose it's possible. Been running Mobil 1 MX4T 10W-40 since the 600 mile service. But hey.....give it a try and let us know if it gets better.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode