Headlight Modulator K1300 GT Xenon - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 13th, 2010, 7:20 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Headlight Modulator K1300 GT Xenon

I have read through several threads, and looked quite a bit on the web, and I can't find anything definitive about whether there is a Headlight modulator that is compatible on a 2009 K 1300GT with a Xenon low beam bulb. I bought and installed a Kisan unit, and it caused the headlights to not operate at all when I plugged it in. I returned it for a refund. I am curious about whether I got a bad one, or whether there are any out there that work. Anyone have one working, or know that they won't.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 13th, 2010, 8:00 pm
Veteran

Seriously?

First of all the things are annoying as hell. But secondly...did you really think that it was going to work with the Canbus let alone a Xenon bulb? Those things are designed to work with regular halogen bulbs. The HID's need a steady stream of high voltage to work. And I'm sure the Canbus would freak out by what it would see as a bulb burning out a few times a second.

Dude....if you want more visibility add some LED side lights, a pair of PIAA's....another set of HID's what ever. Anything but a modulator. Some like 5k HID's but personally I really like the 6k HID's color for attention getting. It lights up the night quite well but also the slight blue/purple REALLY gets drivers attention without annoying the shit out of them.

'07 GT Sold- 2012 GSA Triple Black - Farkles O'Plenty!

I think I'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe....but I am NOT a Dental Floss Tycoon!
What's with this STUPID Cosmic Door?! ....Going Somewhere?!....Going Somewhere?!

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 13th, 2010, 8:18 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Thanks

Thanks for the reply.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 14th, 2010, 12:35 am
IBR# 366

No, a modulator won't work with the Xenon HID low beam.

Some guys run the modulator on the high beams, but there may still be CanBus issues there, too.

Like Robert so eloquently pointed out you have other options for visibility such as LED markers or other Aux lights. I find that amber fog lights work well to set up a highly visible triangle of light, plus they are quite useful in dense fog, too.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 60K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#145, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 14th, 2010, 8:22 am
Enthusiast

Or, you could paint your bike hi-viz green or yellow for maximum visibility. My pearl yellow Goldwing is hard to miss (or so I have been told). Too bad that deer are color-blind.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 14th, 2010, 9:57 am
Addict

Passive methods (bright clothing, etc.) or fog/marker lights are the best choice. The worst choice is high beams, either modulated or not. In addition to being very annoying the glare of high beams can make it difficult to judge a vehicle's oncoming speed, the result being their use may serve to increase risk of someone pulling out in front of you rather than lessening it.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 14th, 2010, 6:26 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Only high beam modulating.

Please correct me if I am wrong. The OEM bulbs on the '09 K1300GT are a Xenon low beam, and two halogen high beams. The High beam bulbs are H7's. The owners manual seems to suggest that the low beam might have been sold as an H-7 or optional Xenon. Since it is only the high beams that modulate, why then does the modulator not work? I would suspect that the low beam was simply a pass-through on the modulator pigtail, and the high beams should modulate. I suppose the CAN-bus might be the reason, but that wouldn't turn off all the head lights if it sensed a fault with the high beam...would it?

Last edited by mr_x-ray_mind; Oct 14th, 2010 at 8:14 pm. Reason: To correct
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 15th, 2010, 2:15 pm
IBR# 366

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_x-ray_mind
Please correct me if I am wrong. The OEM bulbs on the '09 K1300GT are a Xenon low beam, and two halogen high beams. The High beam bulbs are H7's. The owners manual seems to suggest that the low beam might have been sold as an H-7 or optional Xenon.
Yes, all that is correct.

Quote:
Since it is only the high beams that modulate, why then does the modulator not work? I would suspect that the low beam was simply a pass-through on the modulator pigtail, and the high beams should modulate.
If you're trying to modulate high beams, there should be no connection to the low beam circuit, just to the high beam H7 bulbs.

Quote:
I suppose the CAN-bus might be the reason, but that wouldn't turn off all the head lights if it sensed a fault with the high beam...would it?
No, it shouldn't. If it senses a headlight fault it shows an icon on the dash screen, but the other lights should still work.

But again, CANbus takes more control than the simple direct-wired setup that we're used to. For example, CANbus limits the high beam voltage to ~9 volts when the bike is stopped or idling to minimize battery draw, which can cause problems with some aftermarket HID upgrade kits. I believe that CANbus will also limit high beam voltage if the low beam is burned out, so that you can use the high beams to "limp home" if you have a low beam failure.

And yes, this means that sometimes aftermarket items like HID, LED, or modulators will work just fine under CANbus, and sometimes they just won't.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 60K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#145, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode