The Ride to Ventura - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 18th, 2010, 5:29 am Thread Starter
KJG

The Ride to Ventura

I volunteered to help out with the National Multiple Schlerosis Bike ride in Ventura, CA. It's a bicycle ride that is designed to raise money and bring awareness to the disease.

I live in San Francisco so I had a little traveling to do to get there. I had my 2007 K1200GT serviced on Thursday and I took off work on Friday to make the drive. I rode down with a friend who has worked as a BMW mechanic. He rides an older R1150RT.

We left SF, and headed down the following route: http://tinyurl.com/2e76z37

We stopped in Paso Robles for lunch and that was when my friend Peter noticed my back tire. It was a bit wet and since we didn't go through any water, he was a bit concerned. Apparently, the O ring was pinched when the speed sensor was installed. I was leaking fluid from the final drive. It didn't seem like too much so we cleaned it up and continued on. We made it to Ventura without further incident.

Saturday, we woke up to lots of moister in the air and very wet roads. I was on the route and decided to try and find the local BMW dealer. I was able to find BMW Motorcycles of Ventura County. I called and talked to Corwin. I explained my issue and he knew exactly what it was. I took it to them and they fixed it, checked the other fluid levels and even cleaned up all of the spilled oil from my bike and tire. I was on my way within two hours. I called the shop who did the original service and they will reimburse me the cost that I paid in Ventura. All of $124.

Sunday, the ride home was quicker. Straight up the highway to SF. We hit rain 25 miles south of King City (I was very happy to have had the drive fixed. The last thing I would want is oil on the tire and water on the road.). That is where we stopped for gas. That is where my center stand broke (see picture). This is the second time in three years.

All in all, it was a great weekend. Over 1,000 miles and still had a great time.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2050.JPG
Views:	69
Size:	167.8 KB
ID:	12650  

Ken
[email protected]

1982 Yamaha Vision
2007 BMW K1200GT
2009 BMW K1300GT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 18th, 2010, 7:17 am

Great bike, great ridin', get you a K1300GT. Preferably in Redder is Better!

Keep ridin' Glenn. Although, if I were you I would consider trading up for a K1300GT, BMW seems to have solved all the major reliability issues by the 2009 model year!! -Dr Ron

2009 KGT makes me SMILE
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 18th, 2010, 11:37 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc52
Keep ridin' Glenn. Although, if I were you I would consider trading up for a K1300GT, BMW seems to have solved all the major reliability issues by the 2009 model year!! -Dr Ron

I have a 2006 and I ride it hard. Never had any major reliability issue. I would never consider to trade my bike for a 1300GT if it was just a service issue. Not all GT has problem.

2006 K1200GT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 18th, 2010, 1:08 pm

question about the center stand issues, I see these pop up every now and then. Are you guys using your center stand primarily ? or just occasionally ?

I think my bike has been on the center 2 times in the 7 months I have owned it, I hardly ever use the center stand. I am wondering if I need to worry the 3rd time I put it up I will break it or if its only because you use it so much.

Other than that, you should have said "hi" I was in Ventura on Sat. also
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 18th, 2010, 1:21 pm
Addict

I use the center stand all the time. I don't trust the side stand and lean angle. That being said I have a '06 and havd owned it since 07. No problem here, knock wood.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 18th, 2010, 2:18 pm Thread Starter
KJG

The center stand

I use my center stand a lot. Living and riding a lot in San Francisco, I feel more confident that it will still be on the center stand when I come out to ride it.

I weigh in at 220lbs and I would think that the engineers would take into consideration that someone of my weight will be standing on it in order to get a bike of that size up and off the ground.

I guess my question to them would be: Why are you using a hollow tube? The bike already weighs 600lbs. Surely a solid circular piece of metal would be a better choice. It's not like it's going to add too much more weight.

Oh... I love my K1200. While there are some great improvements in the K1300, it's not enough for me to make a change. When I bought this bike, I knew that I would have it for some time. I'm one of THOSE guys. I've my Honda Accord for 11 years and the car before that for 12 years. It's a great bike. I'll probably be passing it down to my son.

Ken
[email protected]

1982 Yamaha Vision
2007 BMW K1200GT
2009 BMW K1300GT

Last edited by KJG; Oct 18th, 2010 at 2:32 pm.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 18th, 2010, 9:43 pm

I always use my center stand when park inside my garage. No issue with my center stand and still on my original one.

2006 K1200GT
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 19th, 2010, 11:43 pm
IBR# 366

Sorry I missed you in Ventura, but I'm currently stuck in Dallas for a while . . .

Corwin and BMW Ventura are a great local shop and they know how to take care of their customers, even those just passing through.

As for the center stand, BTDT three times now. It's simply a poor design that's weakest right where the welded brace ends. See this thread for more discussion, and see post #17 for pics of how I fixed it permanently.

BTW, nice job supporting the MS bike ride. It's a good thing that you did there . . .

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 60K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#145, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 20th, 2010, 12:51 am Thread Starter
KJG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meese
Sorry I missed you in Ventura, but I'm currently stuck in Dallas for a while . . .

Corwin and BMW Ventura are a great local shop and they know how to take care of their customers, even those just passing through.

As for the center stand, BTDT three times now. It's simply a poor design that's weakest right where the welded brace ends. See this thread for more discussion, and see post #17 for pics of how I fixed it permanently.

BTW, nice job supporting the MS bike ride. It's a good thing that you did there . . .
I'm going to be headed to the dealer this week to get the center stand dealt with and will report back with what they tell me. I'll suggest adding the K1300 stand as that seems like the way to go.

The MS ride was a lot of fun. I usually support the AIDS/Lifecycle on their Moto Safety team. That one is in June and is a week long. We pass through Ventura on the sixth day. I'll keep you posted. It would be good to meet you when I am in town.

Ken

Ken
[email protected]

1982 Yamaha Vision
2007 BMW K1200GT
2009 BMW K1300GT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode