My list of K1300GT issues - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 20th, 2010, 10:38 am Thread Starter
Enthusiast

My list of K1300GT issues

All of these are minor, but I just thought I would see how many of us are all having the same issues....

Problem #1: At about 1,000 miles I started having a low speed stalling issue. Happened about a dozen times up through the 6,000 mile check up.

Resolution: They cleaned the fuel system and added fuel system cleaner to the tank. They also updated the software. This update seems to have messed with the way the bike returns to idle as it doesn't slow down nearly as quickly when using engine braking.

Problem #2: Dead Battery

Resolution: Shop checked the charging system to make sure it was operating correctly. Installed a new battery.

Problem #3: After I get the bike back from #2 I notice this noise when starting the bike. It lasts no more than a second and then goes away.

Resolution: ???

.....Mike
'10 K1300GT
Royal Blue Metallic
Garmin Zumo 660
Nolan N-103 w/ BT Kit
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 20th, 2010, 10:53 am
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlajoie
All of these are minor, but I just thought I would see how many of us are all having the same issues....

Problem #1: At about 1,000 miles I started having a low speed stalling issue. Happened about a dozen times up through the 6,000 mile check up.

Resolution: They cleaned the fuel system and added fuel system cleaner to the tank. They also updated the software. This update seems to have messed with the way the bike returns to idle as it doesn't slow down nearly as quickly when using engine braking.

Problem #2: Dead Battery

Resolution: Shop checked the charging system to make sure it was operating correctly. Installed a new battery.

Problem #3: After I get the bike back from #2 I notice this noise when starting the bike. It lasts no more than a second and then goes away.

Resolution: ???
Mike, hello to a fellow New Hampshire'ian. I grew up in Manchester, but left there in 1978. Visits back are limited to seeing family these days, which will happen in November.

We also have a 2010 K13GT, the 550 Zumo and the same helmet setup. We have seen none of the issues you mention, although I will say that our mileage has been limited this year. We got the bike in May and only have ~4K on the odometer.

Jamie

2011 BMW K1600 GTL (Silver) on order
2010 BMW K1300 GT (Blue) Her's
2008 H-D FLHTCU POS (Black)
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 20th, 2010, 11:47 am

I did not have the stalling but at 600 miles when I took my bike in for its 600 mile work, they updated the software and gave me the <!> oil warning, I took in a perfect bike and got one with a error back.

3 weeks into ownership, my battery died...new battery (I chose the Odyssey)

Is the noise on the clutch side and like a "rattle" ? same here, only on the first start up of the day, even after sitting 8 hours at work it does not happen. Maybe its the cold as my bike lives outside and its in the mid-50's when I take off for work.

at around 4,000 miles my ESA stopped working, dealer fixed it.

7 months, 5,000 miles with <!> and back to the dealer numerous times for it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 20th, 2010, 11:51 am
Veteran

Regarding the battery, BMW has never been good on their selection of bike batteries (Exide). Mine began to slow crank at 6 months, especially when warmed up (?). I could have gotten another BMW battery from the dealer for free, but why mess with that when the Odyssey PC690MJ lasts so much longer and doesn't exhibit the hesitation and slow crank that the BMW branded ones do. My Odyssey on the RT ran until I sold it (7 years). The K is showing signs of slow cranks and hesitations now at 4 years (they warranty free replacements for 2 years which is pretty good for a bike battery).

On my last look, the BWM stock is around $179 for Max BMW. The Odyssey can still be found for $119 online or about $163 retail. Far better battery for the money over the BMW one. The military spe'd metal jacket allows it to be used in a higher temp environment by 50 degrees which is beneficial to those in the southwest deserts. You could also go to a TekBattery (lith-ion) and save weight, but they cost over $1,000 (ouch!).

Noise on start up is usually the cam chain and pressuring up the follower plunger. Not much you can do about it. Hopefully, it is not the other issue is when the gear begins to come off the end of the cam and the cam mechanism falls apart due to a broken flange that the gear bolts onto (crappy weak design, imho).

Stalling is something the K1200-K1300's are famous for. That software update seems to be the fix, although hanging the high idle and then dropping it is a pretty sloppy way of them doing it. I used to love the engine braking due to the high compression, but that seems to have left the planet after they tinkered with that - even on the 1200.

I'd say ride it 'till it blows chunks.

Mack
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 20th, 2010, 12:00 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMack
.....Noise on start up is usually the cam chain and pressuring up the follower plunger. Not much you can do about it. Hopefully, it is not the other issue is when the gear begins to come off the end of the cam and the cam mechanism falls apart due to a broken flange that the gear bolts onto (crappy weak design, imho).

.......I'd say ride it 'till it blows chunks.

Mack
Uhm.....well.....I'm taking the 5th.....

'07 GT Sold- 2012 GSA Triple Black - Farkles O'Plenty!

I think I'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe....but I am NOT a Dental Floss Tycoon!
What's with this STUPID Cosmic Door?! ....Going Somewhere?!....Going Somewhere?!

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 20th, 2010, 1:01 pm
IBR# 366

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_W
Uhm.....well.....I'm taking the 5th..
Yeah, me, too . . .

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 60K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#145, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 20th, 2010, 1:12 pm

Hehe Me too Guys
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 21st, 2010, 7:37 am Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Thanks for the replies everyone!

I did get the <!> display at one point, but found the oil to be about 1/2 quart low. That was during the first 600 miles and as far as I can tell it is the only oil the engine has 'burned' since.

I agree that messing with the RPM's is a sloppy way of handling the stalling issue. I don't buy the 'inferior fuel' story. I understand that we have up to 10% ethanol in our fuel, but that should only remove crud in the fuel line that is already there (I Think), and they knew that we have additives in our fuel and should have compensated if there were/are issues.

I've only noticed the 'mystery noise' a couple of times. Scared the hell out of me the first time and actually was reaching for the kill switch when it went away.

Speaking of crappy designs - What the hell were they thinking with the retaining straps on the pannier cover? Keeps popping loose on mine! First time was at the dealer during my test ride. Swung to the ground and scraped the %$#@ out of the lid. They replaced it, but I have never trusted that design.

Oh! BTW - It accelerates like crazy, handles incredibly well for a machine this size, goes forever and suits my riding style perfectly! It's got to be a female, no matter how much trouble she causes, it all goes away when you get a good ride in.

.....Mike
'10 K1300GT
Royal Blue Metallic
Garmin Zumo 660
Nolan N-103 w/ BT Kit
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 21st, 2010, 8:55 am
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlajoie
Speaking of crappy designs - What the hell were they thinking with the retaining straps on the pannier cover? Keeps popping loose on mine! First time was at the dealer during my test ride. Swung to the ground and scraped the %$#@ out of the lid. They replaced it, but I have never trusted that design....
To keep your lid straps from coming out accidentally, put a tie wrap (cable tie) in the hole where the plastic tab goes. That's what I do. Some people turn the tabs around. I have a tie wrap on the 49 liter top case, too. It keeps the strap from pulling out, thus preventing the lid hinges from being hyperextended.

See: http://www.k-bikes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16610
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 25th, 2010, 7:19 am Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Thanks for the suggestion! I'll take a look at that!

.....Mike
'10 K1300GT
Royal Blue Metallic
Garmin Zumo 660
Nolan N-103 w/ BT Kit

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode