k1200gt handling issues - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old Oct 21st, 2010, 8:37 pm Thread Starter
Noob

k1200gt handling issues

I wanted to post this problem I have with the bike to see if anyone else has had a similiar issue or if you have any input as to what the problem may be. It began when I had the bike in for service due to a creaking noise when you move the front suspension up and down. As I suspected it was the ball joint seizing up. The bike was under warranty at the time so they replaced the ball joint and the strut as well. When I picked the bike up the front seemed to be sitting higher than it normally did. the mileage on the bike at the time the replacement was installed was about 40000 miles. Now the handling is completely changed. When you enter into a corner at lower speed in normal city traffic, you almost have to fight the steering from wanting to fall completely to the side you are turning to . if that makes any sense. Now the creaking noise is back when you turn the steering back and forth and after you have been riding for awhile the noise is evident when moving the suspension up and down.
I have had the bike to the dealer and they dont notice any issues with the handling. This is very frustrating to the point where I am considering selling the bike ,
Any input would be appreciated

ken
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old Oct 21st, 2010, 9:29 pm
Addict

Just curious, how many miles have YOU put on the bike before and after the "fix". Just wondering if you got used to the bad handling and are mow experiencing "OK" handling and need to get used to it. But, I could be way off base here.....

Either way, I wouldn't accept the dealer saying that there is no handling problem with the fixed bike at face value. If you really feel an issue, take it back and have someone else ride it. I would also get another experienced GT rider to try it out, maybe someone lives near you, wherever that is to get a second opinion before you bail out.

As you may or may not know, the handling of the GT takes some getting used to as it is a heavy bike with relatively narrow handlebars and does require a bit of lean to get it to turn nicely of you get me.

Hoping you work it out and get to ride this super handling GT as it was intended, but it's not for everyone.

2008 K1200GT, Custom Paint, Vivid Black, Aeroflow WS & Aeroguards, Givi E52 Maxia Topcase w/AdMore Lighting, Zumo 660, Suburban Footpeg Lowering, Sargent Seat

2009 R1200GS Adventure, Magnesium Grey/Black, Adventure Cases, Zumo 660, Touratech Unobtanium Accessories

1974 Norton Commando 850 Soon to be a restoration project
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old Oct 22nd, 2010, 5:20 pm Thread Starter
Noob

I had about 40000 miles at the time of replacing the strut. I felt that the handling problem could have been associated with the fact that the rear shock was the original and that could have been the cause of the problem. The dealer felt that the rear shock was getting tired but 2 different techs rode the bike and both of them felt there was no problem

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode