Traded K12GT,for the K13GT ,100 miles - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old Oct 27th, 2010, 11:19 pm Thread Starter
Rookie

Question Traded K12GT,for the K13GT ,100 miles

so far ,so good. was happy with the 12, but love the 13!, question for all you sage, august riders...
.I am wanting to buy an all weather riding suit that offers great protection-- water ,wind proof,cool in the summer, warm in the winter, dry in rain. Comfort is important too.
I have a Santiago and like it , but it is wearing out. Am looking at Rukka, Aerostitch, Revite, and First Gear. All weather, great protection, ride mostly April to Nov. Can i have opinions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old Oct 28th, 2010, 8:24 am

Lots of good stuff on your list. Down here in Florida, the big issue is heat. I ended up getting a pair of "air mesh" pants from Motoport . They have a matching jacket (and one piece suit as well), but I have a variety of jackets I use depending on the weather.

That exact model may not meet your needs (they have a liner available for cool/wet), but I would add Motoport to your list of places to look, anyhow. They have a variety of options, are custom made, and as a bonus are great to deal with.

My only complaint is that the mesh material is a bit scratchy (to both you and the bike) until it breaks in a bit. But that was easy enough to work around.

Smilodon

2008 K1200GT
Deep Blue Metallic
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old Oct 28th, 2010, 9:08 am
Veteran

I've used Aerostich and First Gear products over the years and except for the one jacket that was a lemon from Aerostich.....I have no idea how it got sent out and past QC but they were cool about taking it back....all were OK. Aerostich stuff is way too expensive IMO.

However for the $$$ / quality I've been extremely happy with Olympia products. I have a couple jackets and pants from them that have several years of any type of riding you can think of on them and they are still going strong. Haven't tried the suits though. I'm just not a one piece kind of guy. Like the versatility of two pieces a lot more.

'07 GT Sold- 2012 GSA Triple Black - Farkles O'Plenty!

I think I'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe....but I am NOT a Dental Floss Tycoon!
What's with this STUPID Cosmic Door?! ....Going Somewhere?!....Going Somewhere?!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old Oct 28th, 2010, 4:58 pm
Enthusiast

BMW's ComfortShell is the most versatile suit I have ever owned. Comfortable, waterproof, good in hot & cold, blah, blah...I hate to sound like an ad. $$$$ though.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old Oct 29th, 2010, 2:14 am
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidS
BMW's ComfortShell is the most versatile suit I have ever owned. Comfortable, waterproof, good in hot & cold, blah, blah...I hate to sound like an ad. $$$$ though.

Likewise, my wife and I own BMW's ComfortShell suit. Extremely comfortable in the heat and excellent in the cold. We've had trips down to Phillip Island for the MotoGP where the freezing winds blow in off Bass Strait (Antarctic freezing). On the other hand, we've ridden in 40 degree (C) (104 degrees F) and been quite comfortable. The most versatile suits we've owned in 30 years of riding.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old Oct 29th, 2010, 1:47 pm
Enthusiast

+1 on the Comfort Shell!

.....Mike
'10 K1300GT
Royal Blue Metallic
Garmin Zumo 660
Nolan N-103 w/ BT Kit
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old Oct 29th, 2010, 2:04 pm
KJG

I own the Olympia Phantom and love it. It's bright but I never worry about being seen. My commute is from SF to Sunnyvale, CA (about 100 miles a day) and I've never had an issue.

It keeps me warm and is comfortable.

The one downside is that it's one large suit. Now that I have it, I would rather have bought one where the jacket and pants can be separated.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/r3/olymp...ports/phantom/

Ken
[email protected]

1982 Yamaha Vision
2007 BMW K1200GT
2009 BMW K1300GT
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old Oct 29th, 2010, 4:19 pm
Addict

I bought the Rev It Sand jacket and pants when it first was sold last spring. I wore it all summer and took a couple weeks ride in HOT Utah/Nevada during the summer. 115F in LasVegas the day we arrrived.
Well it could use more ventilation but that could just be that model versus one with more vents. I never got into really cold weather but riding north to Idaho I did don both the cold and the rain linings which kept me warm during some light rain.

Problems were that when both linings are installed the lower sleeve zipper will not stay closed and the pants pocket stitching seemed to be coming undone.

I wrote to Rev It and they are replacing both jacket and pants (sent back this week).
The zipper was a fault they understand and redesigned it with a locking zipper, so they told me. The pants...well they were just going to accept my word that it looked ot be ..well not right.

So I got a free season of riding out of it at least.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old Oct 30th, 2010, 11:53 am
Veteran

Another vote for the Comfort Shell suit. I've found it uncomfortable above 85 or so and even then it's still bearable up to 90 or so if moving. Closest I've ever found to a one suit solution.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old Oct 31st, 2010, 7:43 am

Another Comfort Shell fan here. I've used Aerostitch and Rukka in the past, but the Comfort Shell is the best suit for me for the same reasons others have stated.

Bud
2006 K1200GT - Graphite

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode