Exhaust Camshaft- Any change? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Nov 1st, 2010, 7:54 pm Thread Starter
Addict

Exhaust Camshaft- Any change?

Does anyone know if BMW has made any changes to the exhaust camshaft since the beginning of the 2006 production? I've repaired the centerstand and just replaced the final drive at my expense so now I'm considering replacing the exhaust camshaft, timing chain with sprockets and the tensioner (about $1000.00 in parts) before the cam fails. But this only makes sense if the camshaft has actually been improved at the sprocket mounting flange.

Thanks.

John 06 KGT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Nov 1st, 2010, 10:44 pm
Veteran

John, nothing has changed in the design. Your best bet is to change the tensioner and chain especially if you had the box of rocks at start up.....and to make sure that when you put it all back together that you loctite and torque the sprocket / flange bolts properly. It's really all about staying on top of it and making sure there's no damage. Check the torque and loctite!

Or just sell it and go with a 16!

'07 GT Sold- 2012 GSA Triple Black - Farkles O'Plenty!

I think I'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe....but I am NOT a Dental Floss Tycoon!
What's with this STUPID Cosmic Door?! ....Going Somewhere?!....Going Somewhere?!

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Nov 1st, 2010, 11:14 pm Thread Starter
Addict

Thanks Robert. I'll have about 18,000 miles on the clock by Christmas so I'll do a valve clearance check and loctite and torque all the cam bearing caps and sprocket bolts then.

And don't think the16 hasn't crossed my mind. I've even checked on the Kawasaki Concours 14. But after my ride today I'm not ready to give my K12GT up yet! D&*N thing still makes me smile ear to ear when I twist the grip.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Nov 2nd, 2010, 7:39 am

K1600 Vs K1300

Hey John, I am very pleased with my K1300GT. I bet you can get every bit as big a smile and more on a slightly used K1300GT as you can on you K12....and cost a whole lot less than a new K16....No real reliability problems w/the 09 and 10 K1300 GT bikes either! Food for thought! -Dr Ron

2009 KGT makes me SMILE
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Nov 2nd, 2010, 10:02 am
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc52
No real reliability problems w/the 09 and 10 K1300 GT bikes either!
Be patient.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Nov 2nd, 2010, 12:22 pm
tkm
Noob

First I heard of it

What is this exhaust camshaft business? I've had/heard of quite a few other issues but not that one. The box of rocks sound at startup I always thought was due to low oil pressure for the first few seconds. My bike has got about 40k on it and has not been making that sound since I switched to Rotella synthetic oil about 10.000 miles ago and is running better than ever.......tkm
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Nov 2nd, 2010, 3:04 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkm
What is this exhaust camshaft business? I've had/heard of quite a few other issues but not that one. The box of rocks sound at startup I always thought was due to low oil pressure for the first few seconds. My bike has got about 40k on it and has not been making that sound since I switched to Rotella synthetic oil about 10.000 miles ago and is running better than ever.......tkm
Next time you've got a couple of hours to kill....

http://www.k-bikes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21210

'07 GT Sold- 2012 GSA Triple Black - Farkles O'Plenty!

I think I'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe....but I am NOT a Dental Floss Tycoon!
What's with this STUPID Cosmic Door?! ....Going Somewhere?!....Going Somewhere?!

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Nov 2nd, 2010, 5:59 pm
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc52
Hey John, I am very pleased with my K1300GT. I bet you can get every bit as big a smile and more on a slightly used K1300GT as you can on you K12....and cost a whole lot less than a new K16....No real reliability problems w/the 09 and 10 K1300 GT bikes either! Food for thought! -Dr Ron
Sorry Doc, but am afraid you are living an alternate reality. K13GT has had 4 recalls, 11 TSB's and a pack of stranded and unhappy owners. Just saying....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode