07K12GT vs '10K13GT how much better? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old Nov 5th, 2010, 4:08 pm Thread Starter

07K12GT vs '10K13GT how much better?

I owned an 07 K12GT and traded it in for an RT a couple years back.

My reasons were mainly the snatchy throttle response, and clunky shifting.

How much is the K13 improved in those areas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old Nov 5th, 2010, 7:49 pm
IBR# 366

The fueling is much improved overall, although we have several reports of stalling when the bike drops to idle.

The transmission is also improved, although not as significantly.

You really need to go test ride one for yourself and see how you feel about it . . .

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 60K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#145, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old Nov 5th, 2010, 9:16 pm
Noob

I have been an RT maniac since 2005 when I bought my first Beemer, a 2002 1150RT. I have ridden the RT all over the country and it now sits in the garage with 100,680 mostly trouble-free miles. A HES failure at 96,000 in rainy Atlanta and now a fried clutch after letting a friend ride it for a 300 mile day trip. I don't consider the latter any fault of the bike at all! Still the original FD. To say that I'm impressed with my RT would be an understatement. But then, last June I wandered into the dealer and they enticed me with a test ride on a new 13GT. The only, and I do mean ONLY feature that my RT lacks is cruise control. I thought I'd try the GT out and the dealer let me take it for a weekend test ride and let me put nearly 500 miles on it. I was hooked. It is a great ride. Some things I think the RT does better but the GT is no slouch either. As for the throttle snatching, I really didn't notice much right off the bat because I was so used to riding the RT. Last Monday I took the GT up the Dragon and over to Fontana Village on Hwy 28 out of Deal's Gap. Wonderful ride due to the low volume of traffic and the weather was perfect. Wednesday, I took the RT out over the same route. That's when I noticed the throttle jerkiness and also the lack of engine braking compared to the GT. I also noticed the huge difference between the ESA of the GT and the non ESA on the RT. Overall, I think the RT is still most comfortable, but the GT gets huge bonus points for smoothness and WOW factor. Sorry I can't compare to the 12GT but the 13 is a real smile maker.

Greg
00 K1200LT (Emil) 93,000+
02 R1150RT (Artie) 107,000+
10 K1300GT (the Phantom) 9,000+

Loud lives saves pipes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old Nov 5th, 2010, 10:42 pm
IBR# 366

Quote:
Originally Posted by pushin9s
Overall, I think the RT is still most comfortable, but the GT gets huge bonus points for smoothness and WOW factor.
Yeah, if only they could combine the comfort of the RT with the WOW of the GT into one bike.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 60K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#145, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old Nov 6th, 2010, 8:08 am
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meese
I agree on the smoothness part, but the WOW factor! goes to the S1000RR, especially if you click it into the "Race" or "Slick" mode.

Ain't no comparison.

Mack
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old Nov 6th, 2010, 10:17 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMack
I agree on the smoothness part, but the WOW factor! goes to the S1000RR, especially if you click it into the "Race" or "Slick" mode.

Ain't no comparison.

Mack
I considered the S1000RR as a toy bike, and rode one. Fun, but it is not my cup of tea, so I bought a '10 Vmax. Plenty of wow to be had there.

I will try a '10 GT and see for myself. I like some things about the new 1600GT, but I don't like the extra weight, or the anticipated higher cost.

Moreover, it seems like the '10GT finally has the gremlins worked out. Something I presume the 1600 will contend with for the initial year or two of production.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old Nov 6th, 2010, 3:00 pm
Addict-oholic

I traded in my 20061200GT for the 2009 1300GT because of the following:
1>Much more nimble in the front end, handling the curves and twisties better with great counter steering.
2>Much more snappiness in the throttle and smoothness in acceleration with no stumbling.The stalling problem downshifting to 1st and into idle was solved with asoftware upgrade.
3>50 lbs lighter making it easier to handle at vewry slow speeds and stopping.

I am extremely satisfied.

Larry
Deep Blue 2009 K1300GT
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old Nov 6th, 2010, 6:54 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrykay
I traded in my 20061200GT for the 2009 1300GT because of the following:
1>Much more nimble in the front end, handling the curves and twisties better with great counter steering.
2>Much more snappiness in the throttle and smoothness in acceleration with no stumbling.The stalling problem downshifting to 1st and into idle was solved with asoftware upgrade.
3>50 lbs lighter making it easier to handle at vewry slow speeds and stopping.

I am extremely satisfied.
I didn't realize the K13 was lighter than the K12?
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old Nov 6th, 2010, 6:56 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meese
The fueling is much improved overall, although we have several reports of stalling when the bike drops to idle.

The transmission is also improved, although not as significantly.

You really need to go test ride one for yourself and see how you feel about it . . .

I read somewhere the K1300GT uses taller handlebars than the K1200GT. Any truth to this and or other changes in ergos?
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old Nov 6th, 2010, 8:54 pm
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by eng943
I read somewhere the K1300GT uses taller handlebars than the K1200GT. Any truth to this and or other changes in ergos?
Not sure that the bars are higher but I think they made the lines and cables a little longer so it is easier to install bar risers. The seats and other components are pretty much interchangeable, so don't think ergos changed.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode