Back Again (Maybe) - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 7th, 2010, 6:40 am Thread Starter

Back Again (Maybe)

Well I have had my R1200GS Adv for a year now, went to the dealers and saw a 2009 K1300GT SE that will cost me an additional £11/month to change, the question is do I?

I have had a K1200S (Faulty Clutch basket etc.) and a K1200R (Poor Seat), I love the engine!

So I have had this R1200 for a year, did a 1700 mile tour of northern Scotland two up, the other half managed with the pannier, the larger one of course. I do like the Adv, it ticks all of the boxes, but a bit like my car it's boring, it does everything well, but seems to be missing that spark, perhaps its the lack of a 160HP motor, I don't know.

But I's off for a test ride next Saturday, and who knows may be a participating member here again.

Cheers

Dwain
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 7th, 2010, 7:57 am
Veteran

Well, MAYBE welcome back then!

Just think, that 1700 mile trip you did could have been a 2500 mile trip in the same amount of time on a GT!

Gilly

"No problem is so big or so complicated that it can't be run away from"

Dark Graphite: Making bikes faster for over 40 years.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 7th, 2010, 9:40 am

I hear you. I owned an 07 GT for a while, and eventually all the little nits I had with it about throttle response, herky jerky behavior in town etc. finally wore me down and I bought an RT.

Then they introduce the 1300GT and make nice improvements to an extent that it looks appealing again. Not to mention the fact that although I think the 1600GT will be a fine bike, it's going to be pricier and probably something I'd stay away from for at least a year or so.

It's kind of a shame to see the K1300GT go away. I think they (BMW) finally worked out most of the kinks and reliability gremlins.

I'll be test riding a '10 Apple Red EE next week.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 7th, 2010, 9:42 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by GillyWI
Well, MAYBE welcome back then!

Just think, that 1700 mile trip you did could have been a 2500 mile trip in the same amount of time on a GT!

Gilly
Not without a good lawyer and enough money for bail.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 7th, 2010, 10:19 am Thread Starter

Mmmm, the one I am looking at has 5k on the clock and has TPS, DSC High Screen and Alarm, its going for £10,995, looks like its kitted out about the same as an EE except for no topbox.

The thing about the Adventure over the K series is resale value, but then I suppose its all really money down the drain.

Best check how much the insurance will increase!
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 15th, 2010, 4:11 am Thread Starter

Well, I took the GT out for a test ride, the first thing I noticed was the smoothness of the engine at a standstill, then into first to set off, OMG it still clunks so loudly it will wake the neighbours, I will admit I expected that to have changed! So its off on a mixture of motorway, A road and lanes, on the motorway it's fantastic, having said that it performed well on all road types. The power from the engine is invigorating, the overtaking ability on a par with anything else I have ridden.

So I finished the test ride and got back on the Adventure, it was then that it clicked, I knew what was causing me concern, the riding position, whilst I am only 5'10" my legs seemed to be cramped on the GT, also I couldn't ride on the balls of my feet. Whilst the adventure has an agricultural engine compared to the GT, the gearbox is smoother, the riding position, probably perfect, but power, no sadly lacking.

The thing is, I have always wanted a GT, now I can afford one I am having doubts, Have I actually got the 'best' BMW at the moment?

One more sleepless night then its decision time, not an easy one.

Dwain
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 15th, 2010, 8:17 am
IBR# 366

Quote:
Originally Posted by dibbley
I knew what was causing me concern, the riding position, whilst I am only 5'10" my legs seemed to be cramped on the GT, also I couldn't ride on the balls of my feet.
You can get peg extenders for the GT that help quite a bit. The GT has so much ground clearance there that even dropping the pegs some doesn't really limit you in the corners. You can also raise the bars some to sit more upright if that's what you're used to.

As for the tranny, yeah, it just clunks.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 60K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#145, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 15th, 2010, 10:36 am
Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by dibbley
Mmmm, the one I am looking at has 5k on the clock and has TPS, DSC High Screen and Alarm, its going for £10,995, looks like its kitted out about the same as an EE except for no topbox.

The thing about the Adventure over the K series is resale value, but then I suppose its all really money down the drain.

Best check how much the insurance will increase!
Is the bike you're looking at in Williams Manchester ?. It sounds like one they have had on sale for a few weeks ( Navy Blue, Wired for Autocom ? ), except it was originally advertised with a top box. I would ask them where it has got to. I hope I am not sticking my nose in where it's not wanted but I like to see people getting the best deal they can
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 15th, 2010, 11:30 am Thread Starter

Hi,

Yes that's the one, or sort of, they have two one for £11,495 with the top box and one for £10,995 without, they apparently came from BMW Doncaster, both 59 plate, to say I am in a quandary as what to do is an understatement.

Much as I loved the power, gadgets, smoothness of the GT the GS still seems to hold its own.

One other point, I was surprised as to how much wind protection the GT gave my hands, even with the hand guards they get very cold on the GS.

And thanks for the input, its all welcome.

Last edited by dibbley; Nov 15th, 2010 at 12:13 pm.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 15th, 2010, 12:27 pm
Noob

When I called in Williams the £10,995 one had the top box on and the £11,495 had no box. The latter also had a price of £12,495 on the screen in the shop but it was advertised for £11,495 on the internet. I guess this was done to make the first bike appear to be a steal. Having said all this both bikes seem to be in excellent condition and are priced comparable if not slghtly better than a lot of other dealers

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode