Any High Mileage New Gen Bikes - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old Nov 10th, 2010, 10:22 am Thread Starter
Noob

Any High Mileage New Gen Bikes

Just wondering if there are many out there with high mileage K 12 or 13's. I am specifically looking for 06 and newer bikes and what issues there are beside the ones seen here.

BMW's I find very comfortable and handle great but there are definitely some issues, final drive, camshaft pitting, stalling occasionally. Having just come off a Yamaha FJR 1300 that I owned for only 6 months I must say that on this forum it seems people always have complaints. On the FJR forum there seem to be good posts.

One thing about the FJR that I have found is that in summer you could roast a turkey while going down the road. The engine is so hot it becomes impossible to ride above 80 degrees.

Anyway enough rambling, if anyone has a high mileage bike please let me know.
Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old Nov 10th, 2010, 10:56 am
Enthusiast

Not to be flippant but some of us are having a hard time getting miles on our bikes because they are always in the shop. My year old one has 4 months total this year and is still sitting there.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old Nov 10th, 2010, 11:11 am

It is unfortunate that the only news we seem to get is negative on new models. My experience, I think, has been abouit normal for the New Gen model. I had my 07 GT for about 22 months and rode almost 25K miles before BMW offered me a 2008. Now the 08 GT has just under 21K miles in 23 months riding. Isn't So Cal weather great?
Ride safe all.
EJ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old Nov 10th, 2010, 11:13 am

Not sure if mine qualifies as high mileage but my 06 K1200S rolled over 48,000 this week. Still on the original air box, clutch and cam chain tensioner. I had some running issues around 38,000 miles that were cleaned up with a software update to version 14.2. I get a little worried sometimes reading about all the problems some bikes are having but mine works well.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old Nov 10th, 2010, 2:31 pm
IBR# 366

See my .sig line below . . .

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 60K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#145, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old Nov 10th, 2010, 2:36 pm Thread Starter
Noob

so you say 138,000 miles and dead.Major engine problem, what caused her to breakdown.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old Nov 10th, 2010, 5:01 pm

Wink Miles of Smiles in God's Country!

My 09 K1300GT only has 12000 miles on the clock, but they've been flawless once the PC-V and switchgear got switched in the first few months after purchase. I know there is a lot of well deserved skepticism out there, but my guess is, if you have a good one, it's good for life right from day one....if you get a bad one, it won't be long before noisy start-ups, grinding cam shafts and leaky final drives, to name of few of the noteworthy lamentables, begin to rear their ugly heads.... To all you unfortunates out there w/bad K bikes you have my heart-felt sympathy. To all the rest: HooAhhh!! Ride it like you Stole it!!!
-Dr Ron

2009 KGT makes me SMILE
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old Nov 10th, 2010, 5:53 pm

I rode 52,000 klm in two years.
Only problem was a cut wire on the front suspension shock that left the front in a sport mode. Once corrected everything went fine.

Lately I experienced a notchy clutch engagement and about 2 weekd ago the fuel guage stopped showing the bars. So the bike is in the shop for warranty work, the front brake recall and the 50,000 klm service and they will check on the clutch. Because I got rear ended by a fellow rider at low speed while I was standing still at a stop sign, the right side will be replaced. An Akrapovic slip on will replace the dented oem exhaust.

The timing isn't bad because in our part of the world we can't ride between december 15th and March 15th . Ain't funny

It's about a stupid winter tire law.

Anyway, I hope to ride my version 2.0 of my kgt before the white sh*t falls on us. Any time now... I dislike winter very much. You know, 3 feet snow storm with below below below freezing temperature from november to early March.

Bests Regards

Sylvain
08 k1200gt
08 F800S wife's
02 wr426
1978 r100/7

Last edited by SylvainB; Nov 10th, 2010 at 6:05 pm.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old Nov 10th, 2010, 7:25 pm
Enthusiast

'07 w/ 35K miles and was enough of a lemon that I now have an '08....w/ 40K miles...some problems at first, but all were fixed by BMW and now is fully broken in and running fine. We're down in the Texas hill country for the first time exploring the roads for a few weeks and after a 300+ mile day, doing everything from 2nd gear twisties to 120+ sweepers, I don't know of many bikes that can do all this comfortably. Reliability? I keep my fingers crossed.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old Nov 10th, 2010, 10:31 pm
Rookie

Smile 3rd Kbike

had an 06-S, sold it, bought a 2007 K12gt, put 23,000 miles on it w/o a whimper.. great bike-- does everything I want it to do , and does it well...... the new k13 only has 700 miles on it, but after the NW monsoons in March - I will out of here trying a 4 corner US ride, which I think will be fantastic--- I would only consider it on a K-bike

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode