Is this a Battery issue? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old Nov 11th, 2010, 7:25 am Thread Starter
Noob

Is this a Battery issue?

I ride an 07 K1200GT pretty much every day and have 27,000 miles on it. Recently, it was in the shop for two weeks to replace the final drive and master cylinder. It sat for two weeks, which is probably the longest the bike has sat since I bought it.

Yesterday, coming to work the "brake failure" light came on and stayed on. this happened the last few miles of a 30 minute commute. However, the brakes worked fine. After the local traffic died down, I went down to the garage, started her up and took it for a short 10 minute ride. No problem and no light.

On the way home, about two miles from home the light came on again. Then I got stuck in construction traffic where I sat still for a short period. The bike acted like it was going to stall out and the headlight became very dim. I pushed the revs up to about three thousand and held it there, but the engine started to stall, then would come back to life. It would cycle like that with the headlight growing dim when the engine started stalling.

I put the battery on a tender this morning and took the car again. After $2,800 in repairs, I really don't want to take it the 80 miles back to the BMW shop. Does this sound like a battery issue?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old Nov 11th, 2010, 7:48 am

I was in a queue a couple of weeks ago. The brake warning light flashed on/off very rapidly AND the speedo stopped working. I was about 250 miles from home but, as luck would have it, there was a dealer about 3 miles away. A restart cured the problem but I called in for peace of mind as I was leading a group ride of about 25 bikes the next day. Although it was after 5.00pm on a Friday afternoon, and they had no idea who I was, my bike was quickly wheeled into the workshop and hooked up to the computer.

... a momentary drop in voltage across the ABS unit...
I think he said it needs to drop below 9v. Could be caused by a poor battery. Mine is 10 months old, bike is used most days.

Had no problems since. No cost. Left a charity donation. Thanks to the guys at Ocean BMW, Plymouth, UK for the excellent service.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old Nov 11th, 2010, 10:03 am
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by vadiver
I ride an 07 K1200GT pretty much every day and have 27,000 miles on it. Recently, it was in the shop for two weeks to replace the final drive and master cylinder. It sat for two weeks, which is probably the longest the bike has sat since I bought it.

Yesterday, coming to work the "brake failure" light came on and stayed on. this happened the last few miles of a 30 minute commute. However, the brakes worked fine. After the local traffic died down, I went down to the garage, started her up and took it for a short 10 minute ride. No problem and no light.

On the way home, about two miles from home the light came on again. Then I got stuck in construction traffic where I sat still for a short period. The bike acted like it was going to stall out and the headlight became very dim. I pushed the revs up to about three thousand and held it there, but the engine started to stall, then would come back to life. It would cycle like that with the headlight growing dim when the engine started stalling.

I put the battery on a tender this morning and took the car again. After $2,800 in repairs, I really don't want to take it the 80 miles back to the BMW shop. Does this sound like a battery issue?
Sounds more like an alternator to me. The whole dimming light and engine thing. However if you're still on the original battery it wouldn't hurt to change that anyway. Also if the fuel pump goes bad it might send an error to the canbus....some one around here that has suffered that malady can probably chime in about that. But those are the first three things I would look at without actually having been on the bike myself. Throw a new Odyssey PMJ680 in and if that fixes it, great, it was easy. If not you needed one anyway.

'07 GT Sold- 2012 GSA Triple Black - Farkles O'Plenty!

I think I'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe....but I am NOT a Dental Floss Tycoon!
What's with this STUPID Cosmic Door?! ....Going Somewhere?!....Going Somewhere?!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old Nov 11th, 2010, 10:16 am Thread Starter
Noob

Thanks Robert, I've ordered a new Odyssey and hopefully that will fix it. I was just dreading the thought that it might be an ABS failure right after a final drive failure and master cylinder failure. I've not had good luck with BMW's and will never buy another without an extended warranty.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old Nov 11th, 2010, 10:29 am
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by vadiver
....I've not had good luck with BMW's and will never buy another without an extended warranty.
You're preaching to the choir here brother!

BTW.....as I was thinking about it. Bad fuel pumps / sending units seems to be a more common failure than alternators. Just sayin for diagnostic purposes. Tough to tell. Good luck. Let us know when you find out what caused it.

I think I'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe....but I am NOT a Dental Floss Tycoon!
What's with this STUPID Cosmic Door?! ....Going Somewhere?!....Going Somewhere?!

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old Nov 11th, 2010, 2:02 pm

Check the ABS sensor wire. I have fewer miles but when the dealer monkeyed with the brake calipers, they failed to dress the wires correctly and the ABS sensor wire eventually broke. Ironically, when I brought the bike in due to a brake failure right, they said whoever worked on the bike last really screwed up and didn't dress the wires correctly. When I explained that they touched the bike last, there was some stammering and backpeddling.

That said, they initially said the brake failure light was likely caused by a bad battery. I conceded that low voltage could be the cause, but it had a three month old Odessey so I sort of doubted his guess. So I guess it could be a broken ABS sensor wire, bad battery, bad alternator, or bad ABS pump.

Un-used mirror hole mounting posts AVAILABLE

Check it out here!
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old Nov 16th, 2010, 6:12 am Thread Starter
Noob

It is NOT the battery. Received my new Odyssey PMJ680 on my doorstep yesterday and dropped it in the bike. The brake failure light stayed on the entire way to work. I change the tires this weekend and will check the sensor.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old Nov 16th, 2010, 8:12 am
Addict

You need to hook it up to a GS911 this way the guess work will be over

MOA Member #106320
2003 R1150RT Titan Silver
2008 K1200GT Dark Graphite
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old Nov 16th, 2010, 11:16 am
Veteran

I would have said check the sensor wire first except for the stalling / rough idle issue. The GS-911 is a good suggestion but they are a bit spendy.

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old Nov 16th, 2010, 5:50 pm
IBR# 366

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_W
The GS-911 is a good suggestion but they are a bit spendy.
True, but how much is it worth to you to not have to step foot in a dealer shop again?

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 60K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#145, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode