Avon Storm Ultra II Issues? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 14th, 2010, 6:51 pm Thread Starter
Addict

Avon Storm Ultra II Issues?

Gulp... I have a fresh set of these sitting in the garage...

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=636925

I've seen a couple of other reports of similar problems with Avon tires but it was not clearly stated whether they were the new Ultra II's so not sure if this is just an Internet pile-on or not, but this is something that should just flat out never happen with a motorcycle tire.

Last edited by smiller; Nov 14th, 2010 at 6:56 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 14th, 2010, 7:44 pm
Noob

I just looked at what model Avon's I have on the bike....Storm ST. If I had the Ultra II, I think I'd be talking to my supplier to see what they have to say.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 15th, 2010, 5:21 am
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by smiller
Gulp... I have a fresh set of these sitting in the garage...

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=636925

I've seen a couple of other reports of similar problems with Avon tires but it was not clearly stated whether they were the new Ultra II's so not sure if this is just an Internet pile-on or not, but this is something that should just flat out never happen with a motorcycle tire.
She was riding an ST1300 and the Avon is not approved for that bike (too heavy?)

I've gone through at least a dozen sets of Storms and now 2 sets of Storm 2's without any defects at all.

I'll continue to watch mine closely, but I think this will turn out to be one of those stories that will get a lot of attention, but shouldn't give us pause for worry.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 15th, 2010, 9:30 am Thread Starter
Addict

Glad to hear of your good experiences. I do think that if there was a serious design problem and these things were flying apart everywhere there would certainly be a recall (although even if it was an incorrect fitment problem it's a little disconcerting to see any tire fail in that way.) As an aside I have to wonder why they would fit the same tire after experiencing two prior failures?

From what I've seen so far I agree with you and this won't keep me from installing my own set but I will keep an eye on them and any similar posts, keeping in mind that it's pretty easy for an Internet frenzy to distort things.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 16th, 2010, 7:11 am
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandera
She was riding an ST1300 and the Avon is not approved for that bike (too heavy?)

I've gone through at least a dozen sets of Storms and now 2 sets of Storm 2's without any defects at all.

I'll continue to watch mine closely, but I think this will turn out to be one of those stories that will get a lot of attention, but shouldn't give us pause for worry.
If the "ST1300 is too heavy" issue is true, then I wonder if there isn't significant risk mounting Storm 2s on a KGT. A KGT with passenger would put it in the same weight range on the tires as a one-up ST1300. Note that tires must endure forces significantly higher than the static weight alone, such as when braking, or if you hit a large chuck hole in the road.

If the weight difference between an ST1300 and a KGT is enough to delaminate a tire, then I would not want to mount that tire on my KGT. It wouldn't feel safe to me. I would want and expect engineering tolerances with much wider safety margins.

Based on the reported cases above, I suggest that there may be a serious design problem with the Storm 2s. Obviously, more data and research is required before making any conclusions.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 16th, 2010, 10:37 am
Veteran

I wonder if the rider could smell rubber when they began to delaminate? I've been near enough trucks to smell something like rubber burning when their "recaps" begin - or soon do - come apart.

Sounds like Avon has an issue. It would be nice if they stepped up and replaced the guy's bike in question (positive advertising) and recalled the faulty tires as well. To blame it on overweight is like BMW blaming bad gas or oil on their design issues.

Mack
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 16th, 2010, 11:03 am
Veteran

Mack, no way Avon will ever step up and buy the guy a new bike. Let alone admit any wrong doing. It's the same scenario with BMW or any big corporate for that matter. Never admit anything. Just opens them up to way too much litigation potential.

'07 GT Sold- 2012 GSA Triple Black - Farkles O'Plenty!

I think I'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe....but I am NOT a Dental Floss Tycoon!
What's with this STUPID Cosmic Door?! ....Going Somewhere?!....Going Somewhere?!

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 16th, 2010, 11:27 am
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_W
Mack, no way Avon will ever step up and buy the guy a new bike. Let alone admit any wrong doing. It's the same scenario with BMW or any big corporate for that matter. Never admit anything. Just opens them up to way too much litigation potential.
Yeah. You're right. Probably would open a floodgate of people at their front door wanting a new bike too for any tire defect. Too bad.

Some class-action lawyer would probably jump on that and retire to Montana. Fat. Rich. Billion acres. Six foot red-headed knock-out wife. And a barn full of BMW's to pick from.

Mack
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 16th, 2010, 1:07 pm
Veteran

... I just had a thought - Does anyone remember the fiasco with the Firestone tires on the Ford Explorers?

(I had a Ford Explorer with OEM Firestone tires and wore them down to the nubbins waiting for Firestone to recall my tires and replace them with new ones. It felt like Firestone announced a new recall every few months for every tire they produced in that size, except mine.)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode