2010 Test Ride - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old Nov 16th, 2010, 2:19 pm Thread Starter

2010 Test Ride

I just took a 50 mile test ride on an Apple Red 2010 GT.

I think it's a very fair statement to say that it is a noticeable improvement over my 2007 GT that I ended up trading for an RT.

The fueling is much more precise, and overal the bike felt more refined and easier to live with.

I like it enough to consider buying. The only part I'm struggling with is which bike would be better suited for San Diego? I am in the process of moving out there next month (tentatively).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old Nov 16th, 2010, 4:46 pm

Exclamation Go for it, don't look back and don't look forward to the K1600 either!!

I've owned a 2000 K1200LT, a 2007 RT( with the quicker motor, lighter overall wt) and now an 09 K13GT. I've lived in the boonies and commuted to the city (KLT) and lived in the city for every day commuting and weekends into the country or longer trips. I'm here to tell you, if you keep good tires on the K13GT, it especially wants to eat up the rear tire quickly; then that bike will out-sprint the RT in a heartbeat in town! It will pass anything on the highway much more willingly than the RT and once you've grown accustomed to it, you will be much happier than the RT. The K13GT is very adaptable to all riding scenarios, the real issue is your own ability to become as good a pilot as that K13 is a rocket-sled! The performance envelope on that bike is exponentially larger than the RT or the KLT. My 2 cents!
-Dr Ron

2009 KGT makes me SMILE
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old Nov 18th, 2010, 7:50 pm
Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc52
The K13GT is very adaptable to all riding scenarios, the real issue is your own ability to become as good a pilot as that K13 is a rocket-sled! The performance envelope on that bike is exponentially larger than the RT or the KLT. My 2 cents!
-Dr Ron
I agree 100% best bike on the market.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old Nov 18th, 2010, 8:45 pm
Veteran

Naw. You're all wrong.

The S1000RR will make the others look like mere turtles. Trust me.

K1300 is a "Rocket ship?" Really?

Mack
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old Nov 18th, 2010, 8:58 pm
Rookie

My son lives in SD and commutes daily on a V-Strom mostly because he can split lanes and get through the gridlock. I've spent time there visiting on my 07 GT, using it to get around and found that while it was OK, his "strominator" to be better due to the upright seating positition and lower gearing. The GT was almost to fast for lane splitting requiring a lot of clutch work. If the traffic is rolling, no big deal.

My opinion only but while the sport and GT bikes work in town, they are at their best in the wide open spaces. A supermoto type ride with a trunk would be best.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old Nov 19th, 2010, 11:04 am
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmerrill
My opinion only but while the sport and GT bikes work in town, they are at their best in the wide open spaces.
I agree. The GT bikes are great but can be frustrating in tight traffic, they tend to not like juggling tiny throttle settings and when you finally do get a chance to stretch their legs you end up going a lot faster than you should. I would say keep your '07 GT for longer trips and take the money you would use to upgrade to the 1300 and use it for a mid-displacement urban bike (like the V-Strom or Versys) for commute/in-town duty.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old Nov 19th, 2010, 11:10 am
Noob

I regularly drive my 2006 GT in inner city and rush hour traffic. There is a lot of clutch work in there as you try to keep those revs where they do the most good and speed from sending you into the car ahead of you. If I can see a bit of daylight in front me though, I am GONE!
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old Nov 20th, 2010, 5:51 am Thread Starter

I'm riding an RT currently guys. I traded the 07 GT a while back.

Relative to which bike fit the riding of the San Diego area better, I was mainly asking from the standpoint of pleasure riding, and not commuting.

If I had to guess I'd say the RT is probably the more relaxed of the two for commuting.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old Nov 20th, 2010, 5:03 pm
Addict

We all know how good these bikes are and aren't. One of my buddies has a 1300 and it is much smoother than my 1200
He has had his share of problems. Switches, stalling and excessive oil burn.
Personally I wouldnt be comfortable laying out the sort of money required to change into a bike that will be basically obsolete in 3 months but that just me.

Black stuff down, Shiny side up!______________________________
10 R1200RTSE
02 R1100S
07 K1200GT R.I.P.
86 K100RS Sold
07 R1200GSA Sold
07 Softail Heritage Sold
86 K100RS Sold
82 R100RS Sold
82 Suzi GSX1100 Sold
75 Honda 750/4 Sold
74 Yamaha XS650 Sold
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old Nov 21st, 2010, 2:35 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadicool59
We all know how good these bikes are and aren't. One of my buddies has a 1300 and it is much smoother than my 1200
He has had his share of problems. Switches, stalling and excessive oil burn.
Personally I wouldnt be comfortable laying out the sort of money required to change into a bike that will be basically obsolete in 3 months but that just me.
I would say that the 60-70lbs of added weight, and heftier price of the K16, will make the 13GT relevant for quite a long time.

I'm excited about the 16GT, but it appears to be less of a hot rod than the 13GT.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode