Is this a good deal? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Nov 24th, 2010, 9:01 am Thread Starter

Is this a good deal?

2010 GT $23,090 MSRP. Dealer has discounted the bike to $20,880.

Moving to San Diego and see the logic of only having one bike for a while. Hence I would trade my RT and sell my 2010 Vmax. The GT seems like a logical bike to give me some of what each of those bikes posess.

My one big concern is what will happen to GT values once the 16GT is out. I tend to think they won't be effected too greatly. Anyone else have an opinion?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Nov 24th, 2010, 9:15 am
Noob

Assuming you have all the farkles you want on the bike, it sounds like a reasonable deal. Not sure what will happen once the K16 hits the showroom. The new bike will be more expensive than the older GT's and there are certainly people who will be looking to upgrade as soon as they can, which could impact the resale market on used GT's. However the K16 is going to be a different animal from the current GT. It is going to ride and respond differently. Differently enough that in the long term, it could make the older GT's valuable just because people want that kind of bike and that kind of ride.

But that is just my opinion.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Nov 24th, 2010, 10:01 am

You can pick up 07-09 bikes with under 5,000 miles for $11 to $13k provided your okay with the vastly inferior pre-2010 models...wink-wink

Un-used mirror hole mounting posts AVAILABLE

Check it out here!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Nov 24th, 2010, 5:39 pm
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerfectSwitch
You can pick up 07-09 bikes with under 5,000 miles for $11 to $13k provided your okay with the vastly inferior pre-2010 models...wink-wink
+1

Everyone has different value perceptions but an $8,000 premium is a lot to pay considering the relatively small differences between the current-gen GT model vintages.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Nov 24th, 2010, 5:54 pm
Enthusiast

If you gotta have new.....then you gotta have new. For me, there is no way I'd pay that kind of money when there are dozens of screaming deals on low mileage KGTs 12's and 13's out there right now, just waiting for you to take advantage of them.

Think how you'll feel riding a bike that isn't even broken and saving $6K vs. the show room bike.

Cheers!
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Nov 24th, 2010, 6:04 pm

thats a decent deal for fully loaded new 2010 K1300GT. you might save some money if you can locate a lightly used 09 but they are hard to find. The K1200GT's are quite a bit cheaper but they are not the same bike.
Personally, I believe the K1300's will hold their value quite well against the K1600's. BMW finally worked out all their problems so they are now great running, dependable bikes, with tons of power. Once they are gone (and they are just about there), I think they will be very sought after.
If the K1300GT is the bike you want, I would buy it and not look back.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Nov 24th, 2010, 6:12 pm
Noob

I have an '08 GT and rode a 2010 GT: yes they are different, but not that much. I would say 5-10% over all. That was my gut feel after a long test ride on a 2010 GT. Not that there is anything wrong with that...hey, good enough for me to get another bike!

Habit #4: Speed, simplicity, execution

1998 1200C sold, 2002 1200RS sold, 2005 LT sold, 2005 RT sold. Current bikes: 2008 1200GT, 2001 1200C. 650i.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Nov 28th, 2010, 9:23 pm

Cool K13, K16.....K13 again?

I said it before and I'll say it again: That K16 is a Total KLT make-over and is too much money and too much of a compromise to satisfy those of us who want a sporty touring bike! I will go out on a limb here and predict the RETURN of the K13 or a very close equivalent in 4 years or less to the BMW showrooms both in Europe and USA. BMW has made great strides in the last 10 years with updating their M/C philosophy...It just seems to me that some older, powerful BMW Executive managed to sway the Board, convincing them to axe the K13 completely. The younger and more forward thinking execs were doing a great job until the Old Guy stepped up to the plate for one last power play. I wish they had been able to stand up to him and nay-say the old #%!*$#% back into his corner until he Finally Fades Away Completely!!!
Of all the BMWs I've owned, I'll be happy to state the KLT was the most stable on the Highway. It lost out to the Goldwing due to lackluster performance in the 1/4 mile and roll-on acceleration. It has always spanked the G/W in the twisties at speed. It really just needs about 25 more ponies or so to bring it back as a contender. Although it was a beautiful bike initially, it only needs some style freshening which would be more than enough to put it back on the center stage against that Goldwing "ride to eat and eat to ride crowd"! Which leads me back to my original point: The K13 is a superior mount for those of us who like a lighter, sportier touring platform than the KLT and Goldwing niche bikes.
Hang in there and mark my words, the K13 will be back! -Dr Ron

2009 KGT makes me SMILE
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Nov 28th, 2010, 10:44 pm
Enthusiast

I'd be a little cautious of a used late model k-bike. Find out why the owner is selling it. It might be someone fed up with chronic problems or experiencing early Indications of valvetrain problems (k1200gt). Or could be someone with a trouble free bike just wanting to sell or trade for something different. Both kinds of sellers are out there. Just saying...
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Nov 29th, 2010, 1:44 am
IBR# 366

Or it could be someone that is worried about their job, and that might be having trouble making the mortgage. Or that spent $25K on a toy, only to have it sit in the garage because they just aren't riding as much as they expected to. There are a few of those types out there, too.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 60K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#145, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode