Sick Girl - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old Nov 24th, 2010, 10:14 am Thread Starter
Noob

Sick Girl

In August of 2009, I purchased a 2006 K1200 GT with 1100 miles on it. Bought at dealer where it was originally purchased, all service intervals had been maintained and logged by the dealership. Because the bike was just past the 3 year OEM warrantee I purchased an extended just to be safe.

In July 2010 with 4500 miles on the bike, while enjoying some solo riding, I experienced a sudden momentary drop in power under hard acceleration in 1st gear at about 6500 rpm. Brought her by the shop in late July and long story short, the transmission had broken teeth on 1st gear. Determined to be manufacturers defect, extended warrantee replaced the transmission with a transmission from a K1300. Saved me $5000 and kept me off the bike for nearly a month while she got patched up.

Saturday I am heading out for a ride. Hop on the bike, go down to the end of the street, make a left and as the bike breaks 5K rpm, the tach spikes and I feel a drop in power. Feels like the clutch is slipping over 5K rpm. I try to see if I can baby her a little, but in the space of about 2 minutes and 1 mile, it gets to the point where the clutch won't get any grip at all and I'm on the side of the road. Bike gets towed to the dealer with 5100 miles on her.

To say I am a bit peeved, would be an understatement. 600 miles on a clutch and it goes? The extended will not cover clutch replacement since it is a wear item, but I am thinking this isn't caused by wear. This is something else. I haven't heard from the dealer yet, but I have a sneaking suspicion the seals leaked and let engine oil into the transmission. In the past 600 miles I've had to top the oil off twice, while I only had to do that once over the previous 3400 miles.

Anyone else have any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old Nov 24th, 2010, 10:21 am
IBR# 366

Bummer.

This failure is almost certainly related to the original repair. As such, your dealer should make it right for you.

It sucks to be dealing with this all over again, but that's the reason you bought from a reputable dealer and got an extended warranty instead of going through a random private party.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 60K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#145, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old Nov 24th, 2010, 10:25 am
Addict

Sorry to read of your troubles.
I also bought a used '06 with 7k miles...now I have 33k and my troubles have included the dreaded airbox/software problem..still stalls and revs by itself occassionally.

Press the insurance to cover it because as you stated that clutch didn;t go because of wear.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old Nov 24th, 2010, 10:41 am
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalli
In August of 2009, I purchased a 2006 K1200 GT with 1100 miles on it. Bought at dealer where it was originally purchased, all service intervals had been maintained and logged by the dealership. Because the bike was just past the 3 year OEM warrantee I purchased an extended just to be safe.

In July 2010 with 4500 miles on the bike, while enjoying some solo riding, I experienced a sudden momentary drop in power under hard acceleration in 1st gear at about 6500 rpm. Brought her by the shop in late July and long story short, the transmission had broken teeth on 1st gear. Determined to be manufacturers defect, extended warrantee replaced the transmission with a transmission from a K1300. Saved me $5000 and kept me off the bike for nearly a month while she got patched up.

Saturday I am heading out for a ride. Hop on the bike, go down to the end of the street, make a left and as the bike breaks 5K rpm, the tach spikes and I feel a drop in power. Feels like the clutch is slipping over 5K rpm. I try to see if I can baby her a little, but in the space of about 2 minutes and 1 mile, it gets to the point where the clutch won't get any grip at all and I'm on the side of the road. Bike gets towed to the dealer with 5100 miles on her.

To say I am a bit peeved, would be an understatement. 600 miles on a clutch and it goes? The extended will not cover clutch replacement since it is a wear item, but I am thinking this isn't caused by wear. This is something else. I haven't heard from the dealer yet, but I have a sneaking suspicion the seals leaked and let engine oil into the transmission. In the past 600 miles I've had to top the oil off twice, while I only had to do that once over the previous 3400 miles.

Anyone else have any thoughts?
Just so you know engine oil is suppose to go into the transmission your bike has a wet clutch, so don't accept that explaination from the dealer

MOA Member #106320
2003 R1150RT Titan Silver
2008 K1200GT Dark Graphite
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old Nov 24th, 2010, 10:52 am Thread Starter
Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2008-K1200GT
Just so you know engine oil is suppose to go into the transmission your bike has a wet clutch, so don't accept that explaination from the dealer
I knew it was a wet clutch, but thought it used transmission fluid, not engine oil. Thanks for the info on that.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old Nov 24th, 2010, 10:53 am Thread Starter
Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbmwrs
Sorry to read of your troubles.
I also bought a used '06 with 7k miles...now I have 33k and my troubles have included the dreaded airbox/software problem..still stalls and revs by itself occassionally.

Press the insurance to cover it because as you stated that clutch didn;t go because of wear.
I haven't had that problem, however when the bike was in the shop back in August, the tech thought it might be a software issue and upgraded it to the latest then. Thankfully no problems since.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old Dec 2nd, 2010, 9:46 am Thread Starter
Noob

Finally heard from the dealer. Clutch is worn, they have no idea why, the rest of the transmission looks fine. Extended service company is denying the claim because the clutch is classified as a wear item. The dealer is going to try BMWNA and see if we can get some goodwill. The timing couldn't be worse, I just came off a 5 month stint on unemployment and I can't afford a new clutch right now. But service thinks something is wrong, clutches don't go after 600 miles. Extended company will cover the work on the intermittent EWS issue that has been a minor issue lately as well. So far keeping my fingers crossed. Honestly, beginning to think my bike is cursed.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old Dec 2nd, 2010, 3:41 pm
Rookie

I'm surprised the dealer didn't notice the worn clutch when they repaired the transmission.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old Dec 2nd, 2010, 6:47 pm
Addict

At that low a mileage and considering the repair history of the bike It seems more than likely that there is more to the clutch issue than simple normal wear, the dealer knows it and the extended warranty company probably knows it. I do hope you get some additional consideration from one of them.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old Dec 3rd, 2010, 9:19 am Thread Starter
Noob

Geoff, the transmission wasn't just repaired, it was replaced with a brandy new tranny from a K1300. So the clutch was new 600 miles ago. The service department admits that the clutch should not have failed, they just don't know why it did. Extended warranty people are singing the, "it's a wear item mantra," and they damn well know the clutch only has 600 miles on it. They are trying to save themselves paying $1800. At this point, I think BMWNA/Dealer needs to step up and take responsibility that clutch had a problem caused by manufacturer/technician error. A friend suggested that if the clutch wasn't adjusted properly, it could have resulted in insufficient pressure when the clutch was fully engaged resulting in a small amount of slip that caused damage over time. It seems like a likely scenario, but who wants to pay for it. I suspect no one will want to take responsibility for it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode