K1200gt - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Nov 30th, 2010, 12:46 pm Thread Starter
Rookie

K1200gt Oil Filter

Seems like the season for oil filter confusion.

I just got off the phone with BMW Ventura. I bought a filter for my '08 K1200GT when I was down there 3 weeks ago. Last Sunday I finally got around to changing the oil, so drained the old and removed the filter.
When it came to fitting the new filter it was a taller filter that required the old type wrench.
Parts guy says BMW now calls for the same filter as the K1300GT on the K1200GT (new-gen). I say "But, but, but how do install it?". Parts guy consults with tech and he says you have to remove the sidestand/gearshift bracket. Admits it's a PITA.

Part #s:
Old K1200GT (2006-2008) type: 11 42 7 673 541 (also fits many other models including R1200RT)
New bigger (better?): 11 42 7 721 779 (fits K1300gt)
Wonder what made them change.

BTW, this must be a very 'special' filter because they charged me $20.79 for it

Brian Louw
2013 K1600GT Light Grey Metallic
2011 R1200GSA

Last edited by blouw; Nov 30th, 2010 at 1:19 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Nov 30th, 2010, 1:08 pm
Addict

Well, apparently there are several different oil filters made (by BMW) for the new GT. Your best bet is to get the number off your existing filter, then call or visit your dealer with that number.

Every time I've called the dealer for mine, they've given me the wrong one. Only after I either show them the old filter or give them the number off the original filter do I get the correct one.

Doug Turner
'86 Concours
'99 K1200LT - gone
'06 K1200GT - the new kid in town
'08 Wing - gone
Marshall, TX
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Nov 30th, 2010, 2:46 pm
Veteran

On my 1200, all the dealers I've used (maybe 6-7?) have used either the tall or the short filter. Seems to vary still.

Last time I ordered one for both the S1000RR and the K1200GT I got the short version for both where the GT still had the tall one on it at the time (dealer dun it). Looked on the MAX web-parts site and it showed the same short numbers then. It was different a year earlier with the tall.

I really don't get that anal about it anymore. It's a BMW filter so it's their issue. If it's short, it's easier to change for me. A small strap wrench does wonders over a socket for a can filter as even their can's top design has changed over time and my old can wrenches don't fit their new filters.

Hell, BMW still cannot figure out what oil to use, what weight, and even how much to use (e.g. in their final drive). Sometimes their oil is re-branded Spectrol, then it becomes Castrol. Who knows?

Just ride the thing until it pukes - if it ever does. You can rest assured if it does puke, it wasn't your filter or oil that did it in - although they may try and say "It was" over their probable bad design ("cheap" seals, bearings, drive dogs) or bad parts quality (new switchgear).

Mack
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Nov 30th, 2010, 4:44 pm Thread Starter
Rookie

Mack,
I was just a little peeved to find out on a Sunday afternoon that I had a different filter to the one that was in there.
It does make one wonder why they keep hanging it and the taller one is harder to fit. As you say, I can't see the engine blowing up with either size.

Brian Louw
2013 K1600GT Light Grey Metallic
2011 R1200GSA
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Nov 30th, 2010, 10:57 pm
Rookie

Had a similar experience myself when I went to change my filter last service they put on the longer filter. For the life of me I couldn't understand why I couldn't pull it out and just had to loosen the one bolt going through the shifter to pull it out. Not sure if I can put the longer one back in the same way. Simple oil changes seem to be a thing of the past.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Dec 1st, 2010, 9:34 am
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martybmw
Had a similar experience myself when I went to change my filter last service they put on the longer filter. For the life of me I couldn't understand why I couldn't pull it out and just had to loosen the one bolt going through the shifter to pull it out. Not sure if I can put the longer one back in the same way. Simple oil changes seem to be a thing of the past.

uh, no...just buy the shorter filter for your next change

2008 K1200GT, Custom Paint, Vivid Black, Aeroflow WS & Aeroguards, Givi E52 Maxia Topcase w/AdMore Lighting, Zumo 660, Suburban Footpeg Lowering, Sargent Seat

2009 R1200GS Adventure, Magnesium Grey/Black, Adventure Cases, Zumo 660, Touratech Unobtanium Accessories

1974 Norton Commando 850 Soon to be a restoration project

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode