Motech center stand problems moving bike onto stand - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old Dec 5th, 2010, 4:10 am Thread Starter

Motech center stand problems moving bike onto stand

I have a motech centre stand and find it extremely difficult to place the bike on the center stand and I weigh in at 80 kilo or 170 lbs and was wondering if it is the motech stand or the bike is just that heavy on the front that its difficult to get on the stand.

Last time I tried nearly dropped the bike as it is just too heavy to lift on, and I over balanced

I suppose the question is to K1200GT owners who have the stand as standard?

Is it difficult to place on stand and do you bust you guts getting the lift to lace it on the stand.?

Look forward to you comments. Just so you know I ain't that weak we build them strong in Oz.

David

Aussiefinatic
April 2005 K1200R, ESA & ABS, 58,000 Klms, Kaoko Cruise Control, R&G Sliders all round, Custom Seat, Dual HID Lights
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old Dec 5th, 2010, 8:09 am
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussiefinatic
I have a motech centre stand and find it extremely difficult to place the bike on the center stand and I weigh in at 80 kilo or 170 lbs and was wondering if it is the motech stand or the bike is just that heavy on the front that its difficult to get on the stand.

Last time I tried nearly dropped the bike as it is just too heavy to lift on, and I over balanced

I suppose the question is to K1200GT owners who have the stand as standard?

Is it difficult to place on stand and do you bust you guts getting the lift to lace it on the stand.?

Look forward to you comments. Just so you know I ain't that weak we build them strong in Oz.

David
I have the standard BMW center stand on my K1200GT. I didn't know that there was a third-party center stand from Motech.

I have read lots of queries about the difficulty of getting the bike onto the center stand, but never understood them. I am neither a big nor strong guy, but I find the center stand reasonably easy, even when the bike is fully loaded for a two week trip. I sincerely believe that it is a matter of technique. If you are lifting the back of the bike to any degree, then you may be using the wrong technique.

Most of the force should be coming from your leg pressing down on the center stand. Use your right hand to guide and balance the bike, then add a small amount of lifting and (more important) pushing the bike backwards to "rotate" it onto the stand.

For me, the biggest challenge is ensuring that the bike stays balanced as it comes off the stand.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old Dec 5th, 2010, 3:18 pm
Veteran

The ONLY time I use the center-stand is when I have a thick (1" thick and 8" sq.) square of plywood to park the rear tire on top of and then use the center-stand. Makes it a whole lot easier and far less stress on the foot piece that occasionally snaps off at times. Makes a good parking spot gauge too. Other than that, it's side-stand everywhere else.

Mack
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old Dec 6th, 2010, 7:59 am Thread Starter

Xmagnarider,
Will try and change my technique but I use the left foot on the stand and press down but find that i have to lift towards the rear to get it on the stand, which I do not have the strength to do.

I will try your way of levering of the centre stand and pushing back to see if it works.

Thanks
David

Aussiefinatic
April 2005 K1200R, ESA & ABS, 58,000 Klms, Kaoko Cruise Control, R&G Sliders all round, Custom Seat, Dual HID Lights
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old Dec 6th, 2010, 9:14 am

I haven't found the stock stand to be exceptionally difficult to use. The pivot point is in the right place, there is a good place to grip on the bike (on the GT) to stabilize things, etc. When the bike is loaded, though, it is heavy, and makes it a bit more difficult.

It also could be that my Honda CBR1000F has a horrible center stand (compromised pivot point), so this one seems a breeze in comparison.

What I don't like about the factory stand is the small place to put your foot. I recently upgraded to a K1300 center stand, and they have fixed that, as well as making it a stronger design.

I'm a little surprised that there is an aftermarket one too.

Smilodon

2008 K1200GT
Deep Blue Metallic
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old Dec 6th, 2010, 9:48 am
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussiefinatic
Xmagnarider,
Will try and change my technique but I use the left foot on the stand and press down but find that i have to lift towards the rear to get it on the stand, which I do not have the strength to do.

I will try your way of levering of the centre stand and pushing back to see if it works.

Thanks
David
Let us know if altering your technique yields an improvement.

I was thinking about it, and maybe the issue is how much body weight you have to apply to the center stand. I said that I am neither big nor strong, but I am a little overweight - about 200 lbs (91 kilos, 14.3 stone).
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old Dec 6th, 2010, 10:36 am
Noob

I find the center stand on the GT fairly easy to use. The salesman at the dealership showed me this method and it is quite easy.

1). Bike in neutral on side stand.
2). Stand on left side of the bike and move it upright with handlebars perfectly straight.
3). Place right hand on passenger grab handle.
4). Place right foot on center stand.
5). Step down sharply on the center stand while simultaneously lifting on the grab handle

I can actually step completely onto the center stand so all of my weight is on my right foot. The back end just lifts up and settles onto the stand without any fuss. Pulling with my right hand is primarily just to get the bike moving in the right direction, once the bike starts to move, you literally just ride it to a stop.

I only recommend placing the bike on the center stand when on flat ground. I've done it on a slight incline and had a bear of a time getting it off later. I've also placed the bike on the center stand when the ground beneath was hard packed sand, not realizing what the surface was. It rained briefly that night, the sand was soft and when I climbed on the bike, the stand folded under my weight. Handlebars locked, the bike went over, not fun.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old Dec 8th, 2010, 6:56 pm
Noob

I have a K 1300 GT and I find puting it putting it up on the center stand more difficult probably because I use the rear passenger “oh crap” bars to lift from while pushing down on the lever with my left foot. I know this bike weighs less than the C14 and ST1300 I had previously but it sure feels heavy when I put it up on the stand.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 5th, 2011, 5:41 am Thread Starter

I have had a look at the BMWK1200 centre stand and it is a bit different from the Moetek one with it connecting using an upside down "L" with the short leg at the rear attaching to the bike part rather than a straight "I" leg as with the factory.
Now this move the pivot point forward and should make the centre of gravity come back making it easier to lift on the stand but its still a struggle.
As I remember it was never a struggle to get your bike on the centre stand when they where standard on bikes.

David

Aussiefinatic

Last edited by Aussiefinatic; Jan 6th, 2011 at 6:52 am.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 5th, 2011, 6:58 am
Enthusiast

The key I think is using the right foot. For me as a right hand dominant person, as most of us are, I can more easily and naturally apply downforce with my right leg and lift with my right arm. Just a thought...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode