Wiring Scorpio Alarm into existing Skene P3 Running / Brake LED Lights - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old Dec 7th, 2010, 12:02 am Thread Starter
Rookie

Wiring Scorpio Alarm into existing Skene P3 Running / Brake LED Lights

I just purchased the Scorpio SR-i900 Alarm onto my 2007 BMW K1200GT. This is the second time I've used the Scorpio product and it surely does give one piece of mind. As you have already read, the only portion you can't use is the immobilizer due to the Can-Bus, but that function is already served by the onboard chip in the key, so its a mute point.

What I did want to do is to somehow wire the alarm into a pair of Skene P3 Running / Brake LED lights - but how I asked myself. My thought was, and I am correct on this, that if I try to connect the alarms 12v line to the LED module, which is connected to the brake line and is designed to not cause a fault in the Can-Bus, than by connecting to it on the bike side of the module would back feed power into the Can-Bus and thus cause a fault.

So what to do. These lights are expensive, so how can I get double use out of them. The guy at Skene was excellent. After describing what I wanted to do, he quickly understood and suggesting that I add a pair of diodes. He suggested that I purchase (2) 1N4007 diodes to the brake source incoming lines of the P3 module.

By this he said that there is a tiny stripe on one end of the diode. A diode, for those who don't know, will allow voltage to travel in only one direction, so it's important to put the diode on correctly. The Skene gentleman noted that the tiny stripe on one end should face the LED module on the bike side (not the LED side). In fact, you would add two to the same incoming (+) brake lead. One would be connected on the other side of the diode to the (+) brake line as normal for the P3 LED lights, and the other diode would be connected to the (+) lead from the alarm which was originally intended to connect to the brake lights. By doing this, both the brake lights and the alarm line can power the same P3 unit without back feeding the Can-Bus.

The real trick is not figuring this out, but wiring wires to these tiny diodes. What I did was solder the module side of the diodes together, and then shrink tube the hell out of that end of the diodes and wiring. Fro the other side, you have to be more careful. You solder each wire and carefully shrink tube each side so that that is no exposed wires that might touch. Once done, I shrink wrapped a finish nail, and then shrink wrapped the entire small bundle such that the wire would keep the diodes from being bent.

The system works like a champ. Press the brake lights and the P3 models works as designed. Trigger the alarm and the lights are powered by the alarm as designed. Two birds killed with one stone.

You're welcome

--------------------
Boston Bagger (in Florida)
--------------------
2008 BMW K1200GT (Grey)
2007 BMW K1200GT (Silver) (Totaled by other)
2004 BMW R1150RT (Silver Ghost)
2001 Harley ElectraGlide STD. (Black)
1999 Honda Shadow 750 ACE (Olive Green / Cream)
1971 Yamaha 360 Enduro RT-1 (Black)
1968 Yamaha 125 / 175 Enduro AT-1 (White)
1963 Honda 250 Scrambler
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode