Vholdr Mounting? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Dec 17th, 2010, 11:29 am Thread Starter
Noob

Vholdr Mounting?

Hello All,

Just curious if any of you are using the Vholdr camera and if so, where do you mount the damn thing? I like the look of some moto videos where the camera is mounted low, but then its not easy to turn on/off, etc. I've looked at mounting on the side of the fairing, but not sure I like 1/3 of the picture being taken up by plastic.

Just looking for options. If possible, please include brand/model of your mount!

Thank you VERY much!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Dec 17th, 2010, 12:10 pm

Best position on my K1300GT is in the gap between the louvre on the left hand side of the fairing and it's leading edge. In this position there is no fairing in the picture, and no shake or distortion in the picture, which you do get if placing on the screen, which had been my
previously favoured position.

I use the mount in item 6. ( scroll down the page)

http://www.dogcamsport.co.uk/bullet-...unts.htm#sucky

This is used in conjunction with the universal mount adaptor whose picture I can't find, but if you scroll down to the 1080p motorsport kit at the bottom of this link, you'll see how the two are linked.

http://www.dogcamsport.co.uk/contourhd-1080p.html

I put the bike on the sidestand, switch on, then get back on and ride off. If you don't want the 5 seconds of film before setting off, just delete it when editing later.

Cheers

Paul

I'm living proof of the old adage "the older I get the faster I was"

blog

AlpineBiker Tours
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Dec 17th, 2010, 4:39 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Paul, thank you very much for the info -- I haven't seen those mounts before. Have you had any issues with the mount losing suction? Do you have any failsafe cable(s) installed in case the mount does lose suction?

Thanks again, I appreciate it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Dec 17th, 2010, 4:50 pm

Mount is rock solid at any speed, but just in case, I do have a wire which I attach to the mount and run to and around the screen support bracket, secured on both with mountaineer type carabiners which I bought from the local DIY store for a couple of euros.

Cheers

Paul

blog

AlpineBiker Tours
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Dec 17th, 2010, 5:11 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Thanks again, I think I'm going to get this mount. I am still slightly confused where you mount it -- I checked your blog out (nice!) and saw your bike but couldn't see the camera. I suppose you don't have a pic of the camera mounted, do you?

A little off topic but the only gripe about the Vholdr I have is that sometimes it doesn't record for whatever reason and I wish it had a screen. Plus, I hate that i have to cut a hole in the rubber backing or remove it altogether to keep it powered via 12v. Have you seen this? Looks like it solves all my complaints about the Vholdr...

http://www.dogcamsport.co.uk/manuals...maxextreme.pdf

I think I might give this camera a try.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Dec 18th, 2010, 1:49 am

I'll try and post up a pic in the position I described.

I think the battery holds between 2- 4 hours of charge in a day, which is usually plenty of time for what I want to film. It's a Nokia camera battery too, so don't buy the suppliers high priced battery as you can get one for under 10!

I've had the non filming issues a couple of times but found that it was because:

1) I hadn't pushed the record button all the way in it's slide, it MUST be at the end position

2) I'd expected it to still be in standby mode after using it previously and it had auto shut off.

I agree it's a pain not having a screen to know it's active, but there is a light at the front of the camera which shows it's recording, plus two at the rear.

Your link to alternative camera looks good, technology moves quickly these days!

blog

AlpineBiker Tours

Last edited by Alpinebiker; Dec 18th, 2010 at 4:53 am.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Dec 18th, 2010, 4:52 am

Mounting point pics

Here is the space for mounting between louvre and leading edge of fairing

In situ. This shot shows how the camera slots into the universal mount which is then attached to the suction holder

Line of sight is ahead of fairing edge so you don't see the plastics, remember to tilt the camera up slightly but you can use the lasers to align properly.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Paul

blog

AlpineBiker Tours
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Dec 22nd, 2010, 1:41 pm Thread Starter
Noob

awesome, thank you for taking the time to post the pictures. Hope you have a Merry Christmas!
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Dec 22nd, 2010, 2:51 pm

No problem,

All the best to you too

Paul

blog

AlpineBiker Tours

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode