So Sad But So Glad - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old Dec 18th, 2010, 9:47 pm Thread Starter
Enthusiast

So Sad But So Glad

After a year of ongoing problems, including 4 months off the road, my 09 K1300GT has gone away. As I took my personal accessories off of it today I shed a few tears and wondered what might have been if like most owners, I had gotten a "good one". After a long, positive string of BMW's, both 2 and 4 wheels, i crapped-out. Missed will be its power, style and handling. I won't miss its undependability and sparse dealer network. And certainly will not miss its " too high tech to diagnose and fix". For those of you with a "good one", enjoy and try not to be too hard on us who were not so lucky. Time to move forward! Thanks to those who offered advice, support and shared their own stories.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010779.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	76.0 KB
ID:	12810  

Last edited by remphoto; Dec 18th, 2010 at 9:55 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old Dec 19th, 2010, 8:00 am
Veteran

Damn, same color as mine too. I share your sorrow. The R1200GSA with which I replaced mine has been nothing but reliable and a lot more comfortable.

2010 R1200GSA
2010 S1000RR
IBA# 42277
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old Dec 19th, 2010, 11:56 am

Well, very unfortunate that it worked out this way to say the least. I know a cae like this is the very rare exception and not the rule, but it's still a black eye nonetheless.

I hope my new '10 is more relaible than my '10 RT. I had an oil leak, cam sensor, radio switch, stalling issue, and fuel strip all in 10 months. Not good.

Best of luck, and fingers crossed that my experience is a good one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old Dec 19th, 2010, 3:36 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by eng943
....I hope my new '10 is more reliable than my '10 RT. I had an oil leak, cam sensor, radio switch, stalling issue, and fuel strip all in 10 months. Not good.

I will assume you met to say, "I hope my new '10 RT is more reliable than my '10 GT was. I had an oil leak, cam sensor, radio switch, stalling issue, and fuel strip all in 10 months on the 2010 K1300GT." But the 'radio switch' part confuses me. Was the GT or the RT the lemon?

Only asking because I'm contemplating moving back to the RT line as the GT is far too heavy and doesn't handle as well in the twisties as the lighter RT did for me. Plus, the RT was far easier to self-service too and much cheaper when I needed to.

Mack
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old Dec 19th, 2010, 8:40 pm
Addict-oholic

I am happy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMack

I will assume you met to say, "I hope my new '10 RT is more reliable than my '10 GT was. I had an oil leak, cam sensor, radio switch, stalling issue, and fuel strip all in 10 months on the 2010 K1300GT." But the 'radio switch' part confuses me. Was the GT or the RT the lemon?

Only asking because I'm contemplating moving back to the RT line as the GT is far too heavy and doesn't handle as well in the twisties as the lighter RT did for me. Plus, the RT was far easier to self-service too and much cheaper when I needed to.

Mack
Well, my 09 is doing well. Fixed the stalling issue and the bike runs perfectly. I am very happy!

Larry
Deep Blue 2009 K1300GT
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old Dec 20th, 2010, 9:13 am
Rookie

Sorry to hear things didn't work out with your bike.

I'm hearing more and more stories about problems with newer bikes. Damn shame considering the price you pay. BMW forums are beginning to read like Harley message boards. LOL!

I think I'll keep my '94 K1100RS. It's simpler and more reliable than the new bikes. I've crisscrossed the US a few times without a single problem.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old Dec 20th, 2010, 12:05 pm
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffJ

I'm hearing more and more stories about problems with newer bikes. Damn shame considering the price you pay. BMW forums are beginning to read like Harley message boards. LOL!

I think I'll keep my '94 K1100RS. It's simpler and more reliable than the new bikes. I've crisscrossed the US a few times without a single problem.

+1 on that....I can't have fun with HDs being unreliable any more when I'm riding a BMW
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old Dec 21st, 2010, 7:02 am

Quote:

Maybe...maybe not.

On percentage the vast majority of bikes are reliable, or if they have a problem, it is resolved by the dealer, and life goes on.

My 2010 RT had a few minor issues, and yes..it was a pain to take it to the dealer, but the problem was corrected, and it certainly never left me stranded. That said, I hope my GT gives me ZERO reasons to take it to thr dealer.

I'm not dismissing those that have had chronic issues/failures with their bike, but on percentage, I'd bet dollars to donuts we are factually looking at a very small number.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old Dec 21st, 2010, 10:22 am

Question Huh?

Hey Robert,

I read your post and am vaguely familiar with your bike's issues. My question is did you sell it to someone else or did BMWNA buy it back?

Regards,
Randy
'02 RT nacht black
'05 Ducati ST3 black
'06 K12S bumble bee
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old Dec 21st, 2010, 1:35 pm

Quote:
The difference, I believe, is the internet and lightning communication. When is someone going to post? When everything's fine and the bike's running like a top or when there is a problem?
Quote:
BMW forums are beginning to read like Harley message boards. LOL!
My Harley experience (4 years on two V-Rods, VRSCA and VRSCR) was essentially flawless. Great bikes.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode