Ideal BMW "Sport"-Tourer for 2-Up Riding - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 10th, 2006, 10:32 am Thread Starter

Ideal BMW "Sport"-Tourer for 2-Up Riding

I've been reading a lot of threads in this forum about peoples' disappointment with the looks of the new GT. I am considering the new GT so that I can do more long distance touring with my wife on the back sitting comfortably. I cannot achieve this goal with my current bike which is a 2001 R1100S.

With the above in mind what are your opinions about the new GT meeting my goal of being the ideal BMW Sport-Tourer for 2-up riding? If not the GT then which model would you choose?

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 10th, 2006, 11:00 am

I've got a 1150RT for 2-up and an 05 K/S for play. The bride is really comfortable on the RT and has no issues with long distance riding. Plenty of storage room, good weather protection, autocom, etc. My bitch with it is lack of torque (and yeh, hp too) and the linked brakes. So it's my problem with the bike, not hers. I've been looking for something to replace it and by process of elimination, the new GT seems to be just the ticket. Lighter, more power, better brakes, good weather protection, good suspension and to me good looks in the gray color. So, for me, I'm really going to consider the GT and won't get anything else until I get to do a face-to-face with it.

The 1200 RT just doesn't get it for me in the looks department plus I'm sick of having to carry a quart of oil for long trips. Crap, you'd think the thing is a 2-stroke...just kiddin', not that bad but a nuisance, nonetheless. The LT, nope, don't want to ride a couch.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 10th, 2006, 3:08 pm

"Two Up" Sport Tourer, eh?

Current or near future production, available in USA (Solo models excluded)
BMW - R1200RT ABS
BMW - K1200GT ABS
BMW - K1200LT ABS
Honda - ST1300 ABS
Honda - GL1800 Goldwing ABS
Kawasaki - Concours (No ABS)
Triumph - Sprint ABS (Chain Drive)
Yamaha - FJR1300 ABS

That's the only decent "two-up" sport tourers that come to mind at the moment. The Honda Goldwing and BMW K1200LT are both great two up tourers, but both a little light on sport. Off hand, I'd say the LT fits those with inseam greater than 30-32" better than the Goldwing.

I'd disqualify the Kawasaki Concours due to no ABS, and no fuel injection. I'd disqualify the Triumph Sprint due to the chain drive. Others my disagree.

That leaves the R1200RT, 2007 K1200GT, ST1300, and FJR1300.

The R1200RT probably has the greatest range (huge fuel tank, and great mileage), handles curves well, and should be very comfortable for two riders. Although very fast, acceleration will be the slowest of this group, especially when loaded two up with luggage.

The ST1300 has a great motor, plenty comfortable, but has been reported to be a bit unstable at speed, and many owners complain of excess heat on the rider.

The FJR1300 has been much modified (improved) this year, but remains a bit unknown. Did they solve the rapid camshaft wear problems? Did they solve the rider heat problem?

The 2007 K1200Gt is almost a total unknown. However, the engine is based upon the K1200S, which is terrific! The seating position seems to be adjustable from nearly the current RS to the RT, which should allow most riders to find a comfortable riding position. The smoothness and power should be VERY acceptable, as well as the handling two up.

I ride solo, not two up, (the wife rides her own R1200RT), and after much thought about the above listed models, chose the new K1200GT. My local dealer has my deposit, just waiting to place the order when BMW releases them. It will replace both my 2004 K1200GT and my 2003 Goldwing, although I'll probably hang onto the 'wing until I verify that the new GT actually fits me well enough to do thousand mile days. Although I love my current GT, it would take a lot of work before "I" could do much over a five hundred mile day on it. Yeah, I'm out of shape!

I'd really like a K1200S too, but the lack of decent nearby riding roads, AND my poor physical conditioning make that an unrealistic dream
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 10th, 2006, 5:14 pm

Alls I can say is, if you don't want to but the K1200LT then do not take the wife with you for the test ride!!...........Regards Pete
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 10th, 2006, 6:01 pm

Great Summaries

Both great summaries!
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 10th, 2006, 9:09 pm
Rider Journeyman

Big Ass Bike....

I concur with Ruben's analysis.

I ride the LT for "touring" purposes, solo and two-up. Without fear of contradiction, I can say that those I ride with would characterize my riding as "sport", regardless of solo, or two-up. (note I have Ohlins shocks with heavy springs)

I also ride the K-R and it IS A SPORT BIKE. The LT is NOT a sport bike, but if I had to choose a single bike for "sport touring" and I was planning on doing ANY of it two-up, I would go with the LT.

While the LT is a BIG ASS bike, I have found that it has enough capability to be plenty fun to ride even with sport bikes and, oh so, comfortable regardless of distances involved.

Bill "Omaha"

"Life may have begun at 44, but it didn't get thrilling until I shot past 100"

'06 K1200R "Wolfgang" White Aluminum Metallic, FB 6/7/05
'04 K1200LT "Dieter" Titan Silver, FB 4/23/04
RCB, AMA, BMWMOA, Booze Brother "in training"
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 2006, 9:17 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruben
"Two Up" Sport Tourer, eh?

Current or near future production, available in USA (Solo models excluded)
BMW - R1200RT ABS
BMW - K1200GT ABS
BMW - K1200LT ABS
Honda - ST1300 ABS
Honda - GL1800 Goldwing ABS
Kawasaki - Concours (No ABS)
Triumph - Sprint ABS (Chain Drive)
Yamaha - FJR1300 ABS

That's the only decent "two-up" sport tourers that come to mind at the moment. The Honda Goldwing and BMW K1200LT are both great two up tourers, but both a little light on sport. Off hand, I'd say the LT fits those with inseam greater than 30-32" better than the Goldwing.

I'd disqualify the Kawasaki Concours due to no ABS, and no fuel injection. I'd disqualify the Triumph Sprint due to the chain drive. Others my disagree.

That leaves the R1200RT, 2007 K1200GT, ST1300, and FJR1300.
BMW R1200ST? Not even a little?
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 2006, 6:56 pm
Enthusiast

personally the wife and I think the K12S and previously the K12RS are great 2 up Sport Touring platforms.
Not everyone requires an arm chair to ride long distance 2 up.

05 K1200S Blue (street bike)
01 996 Yellow (trackbike)
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 2006, 8:43 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksgrasslander
BMW R1200ST? Not even a little?
Oops!

I plumb forgot the R1200ST. In truth I'm not much of a fan of the boxer motor, and the K1200S overshadows the R1200ST so much (IN MY MIND!) that I plumb missed it on my list.

How would you rate it for two up sport touring, compared to the R1200RT ?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode