2006 K1200gt slips Cam Chain Again!!!! - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old Jan 9th, 2011, 10:58 am Thread Starter
Noob

Exclamation 2006 K1200gt slips Cam Chain Again!!!!

Hi guys,

About ten months ago I went out to the garage to start my K12gt that was on the BMW battery tender. It would not turn over. I jumped it with my car. It started and sounded like it was self destructing. Loud banging internal to the engine. I shut it down immediately. The dealer came, towed it 60 miles and fixed it. They found the timing/cam chain had jumped two teeth. They did a leak down test and found compression to be good. After I got the bike back, it ran great! Actually, better than ever before.

Yestserday I went to start the same bike. And guess what? The same loud self destruct noise again. I called the dealer. I am trailering it ten hours back. The bike has 36K , but the work is in warranty for a year from the last fix to the cam chain.

So, I go lurking about and find that BMW has added a new part in the last month that will slides around the lower cam sprocket. Hmmmmm. I wonder why? Must be because we keep jumping the cam chain? The dealer, Hermy's in Pa will once again pull the engine apart and perform yet another leak test. I so hope that this fixes the problem forever.

I also understand that BMW is no longer making this engine. Rather odd, considering the amount of RD that went into this K Bike engine. ???
So whats next?
I have had 1 ABS unit, 1 final drive, 2 different air boxes and a bunch of other warranty repairs. I have purchased an extended warranty.

Should I dump BMW? Should I get a Concourse 14? Should I trade for a 2011 RT1200?
I am asking for some advice. I am 57 yrs old and my wife and I like to take big trips around the US on our bike. I no longer feel this bike can be trusted. What would the readers recommend

Thank you for listening to my rant. I have 2 payments on a five year loan to go!

Last edited by perryhebard; Jan 9th, 2011 at 11:02 am. Reason: spelling
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old Jan 9th, 2011, 11:23 am
Addict

First advice, don't take out a 5 year loan on a 3 year bike. DAMHIK
Second: Never let the bike know you only have 2 payments left, it will self destruct.
Three: Just ride it as much as you can and enjoy.
Four: All bikes fail. It is in their nature. Read any forum. Relax.

Oh, forgot, Don't buy first year production of anything.

2008 K1200GT, Custom Paint, Vivid Black, Aeroflow WS & Aeroguards, Givi E52 Maxia Topcase w/AdMore Lighting, Zumo 660, Suburban Footpeg Lowering, Sargent Seat

2009 R1200GS Adventure, Magnesium Grey/Black, Adventure Cases, Zumo 660, Touratech Unobtanium Accessories

1974 Norton Commando 850 Soon to be a restoration project
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old Jan 9th, 2011, 11:55 am Thread Starter
Noob

Smile Don't buy first year production of anything!

Amen to that. That rules out the K1600gt. Maybe I will stop goose stepping!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old Jan 9th, 2011, 12:49 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by perryhebard
Amen to that. That rules out the K1600gt. Maybe I will stop goose stepping!
x2 on don't buy any 1st year model too.

However, the 1300 isn't much better in that department over the 1200 as both are suspect to getting that guide in them. It's just a bad cam-drive design in both those engines and that they need that extra guide installed for both is a band-aid to that design.

I'd like to find out more details on that cam guide's installation though as to what all it entails to install it and how much $'s too. I've been awfully leery of taking that thing on some trip and shelling out a few thousand in towing, hotels, flights, and shop expenses. It would be nice if BMW offered to recall all those bikes for that follower though. This busted cam issue is beginning to sound as bad as their final drive issues.

The K1600 should be interesting to watch. Maybe they've learned their lesson with the two-bolt cam gear driving the other gear-driven cam thing. They got out of that mess in their S10000RR design.

For the OP: I'd trade out and get the RT. I don't think I'd feel right about selling this bike to an independent party with it's issues for the cash differential. Besides, it's rare to hear the RT (boxer) engine cratering. Biggest issues seem to be their clutches getting oil on them and slipping and the infamous final drive failures - although those failures on them seem to be less frequent now. They've hung with that design a long time to debug that boxer engine over the short 3-year run K44 Beta engines. Much easier to work on than a 4 cylinder too. Wish they'd put a hydraulic lifter setup in it and that would just about make it maintenance free on the engine. Couldn't cost that much more to do it (like cost is an issue with BMW.). I mean, if Harley could do it..... That little addition hydraulic lifter addition on their boxer - or even the 1600 that may not have it yet (?) - could make it profitable for them to offer free annual service for maybe 5 years like their cars.

Mack
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old Jan 9th, 2011, 3:26 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Question Thanks for the info

Really appreciate your post. My guess is to unload the K12gt at the dealer and try for a R1200rt. Hopefully I wont lose my shirt. As for that cam design, I thought this was a German company? What the heck are they thinking???
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old Jan 9th, 2011, 3:48 pm
Addict

Perry your repair list is short compared to the one I had but luckily I had no engine failures.
I ended up getting out of my GT after it was written off in an accident. I had it on the market for 6 months and couldnt move it but it is a much smaller market here.
I would love a 1600GT but wont play the role of Beta Tester for BMW any more.
Ive ordered a 2011 RT and will watch the 1600 forums with intense interest over the next two years.
If they get it right, I will trade the RT on one then.

Black stuff down, Shiny side up!______________________________
10 R1200RTSE
02 R1100S
07 K1200GT R.I.P.
86 K100RS Sold
07 R1200GSA Sold
07 Softail Heritage Sold
86 K100RS Sold
82 R100RS Sold
82 Suzi GSX1100 Sold
75 Honda 750/4 Sold
74 Yamaha XS650 Sold
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old Jan 9th, 2011, 5:07 pm Thread Starter
Noob

I agree completely

Ill stick with the new RT. I read the coils are the next thing to go. What the Frick are coils
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old Jan 9th, 2011, 9:04 pm
Enthusiast

Does lemon Law apply?
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old Jan 10th, 2011, 4:51 pm

I think I would take it with a big grain of salt.

The bike is 5 years old, and so you have had a few things go wrong. My 2010 RT was in the shop three times in 8 months, so there's no guarantee there either. Oil leak, fuel strip failure, bad switch, cam sensor replaced.

Things break, and if BMW is taking care of you and addressing the issue, I would not panic personally.

Lastly, BMW is not discontinuing this engine. It will live on in the 1300S, etc.

Keep the Gt if you like it.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old Jan 10th, 2011, 6:15 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Are new BMW Motorcycles reliable?

Yamaha RD 350, Yamaha 650 twin, Kawasaki Concourse 10, BMW R1150RT, BMW K1200S, BMW R1200RT, BMW K1200LT , another BMW K1200S: Never a single problem with any of these bikes.

Then the BMW K1200gt arrives: Two final drives, two air boxes, two ABS units, brake sender unit, pitted throttle somethings,Jumped, stretched cam chain, another broken cam chain, bucking, stalling, backfiring, frenzied bike on German steroids. One great dealer, stood by it all Amen, to Hermy's in Port Clinton, PA. God Bless Herm Baver Jr.

May this 2006 Rest In Peace. So long lover girl.....

Last edited by perryhebard; Jan 10th, 2011 at 6:20 pm. Reason: adding some information.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode